Sram PG-830 compatible chain question

cardcard2001

Jun 13, 2005
Hi all,

My bike are factory built whole bike, using Sram PG-830 and Shimano HG73 chain

The problem is that the gear will "jump" (skipping over the teeth) under load, it always happen with the 11T sprocket and sometimes on other sprockets besides the 11T no matter what front chain ring are using

The bike only rode very little, and the derailler alignment are correct, so I wonder is there compatibility problem with the cassette and chain ? as i look around the web, HG73 is a 9speed chain, so will it not fully compatible with 8 speed cassette?

I am planing to change to Shimano IG51, will this helpful ?

thx all

cardcard2001 said:
Hi all,

My bike are factory built whole bike, using Sram PG-830 and Shimano HG73 chain

The problem is that the gear will "jump" (skipping over the teeth) under load, it always happen with the 11T sprocket and sometimes on other sprockets besides the 11T no matter what front chain ring are using

The bike only rode very little, and the derailler alignment are correct, so I wonder is there compatibility problem with the cassette and chain ? as i look around the web, HG73 is a 9speed chain, so will it not fully compatible with 8 speed cassette?

I am planing to change to Shimano IG51, will this helpful ?

thx all

9S chains generally work very well with 8s cassettes. If either the cassette or chain is old and worn, replacing the worn component should help. If both are fairly new, try working on the derailleur/cable tension adjustment a bit more.