SRAM Power Link and MTB?

Larry Fieman

Guest
Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a MTB -- because a MTB has too
many gears. This warning makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy take the chain off for a
proper cleaning.

Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power Link use on MTBs?

Thanks, Larry

Larry,

You are right. There is NO good reason for this warning. SRAM chains are as strong, reliable and
durable as any other manufactured, for both road and mountain biking. The highest risk of chain
failure, other than extreme wear, is incorrectly rejoining a chain via pin insertion.

Terry

Larry Fieman wrote:

> Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a MTB -- because a MTB has
> too many gears. This warning makes no sense whatsoever to me.
>
> I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy take the chain off for a
> proper cleaning.
>
> Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power Link use on MTBs?
>
> Thanks, Larry

"Larry Fieman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a MTB -- because a MTB has
> too many gears. This warning makes no sense whatsoever to me.
>
> I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy
take
> the chain off for a proper cleaning.
>
> Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power
Link
> use on MTBs?

Everyone I know uses Power Links (heck, the SRAM chains *come* with them, right?), and AFAIK no one
has had any problems.

Bill "9-speed mtb and haven't broken a chain in years (knock on aluminum)"
S.

"Larry Fieman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a MTB -- because a MTB has
> too many gears. This warning makes no sense whatsoever to me.
>
> I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy
take
> the chain off for a proper cleaning.
>
> Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power
Link
> use on MTBs?
>
> Thanks, Larry

What'd he/she mean by "too many gears?" Are you sure he wasn't talking about a specific - older -
chain designed for 7 speed spacing, when the MTB in question was nine-speed?

I've been running only SRAM chains with Powerlinks on 3 nine-speed bikes for years...no problems.

Chris

Larry Fieman wrote:
> Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a MTB -- because a MTB has
> too many gears. This warning makes no sense whatsoever to me.

Nor to me because a road bike can have the same number of gears. The only different aspects might be
the way gears are shifted or torque applied or mud on the chain? I've used Powerlinks on an MTB and
road bikes (with triple 9sps) with no problems.

~PB

[email protected] schreef ...

> Everyone I know uses Power Links (heck, the SRAM chains *come* with them, right?), and AFAIK no
> one has had any problems.

We use them on the off-road tandem and they keep up 100% perfectly! A true must-have.

--
Regards, Marten

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 14:05:48 GMT, "Larry Fieman" <[email protected]> may have said:

>Some "expert" said that it was a bad idea to use a SRAM Power Link on a MTB -- because a MTB has
>too many gears. This warning makes no sense whatsoever to me.
>
>I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy take the chain off for a
>proper cleaning.
>
>Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power Link use on MTBs?

IMNSHO, the person who said that must be selling chainbreakers and pins. The SRAM Powerlink looks
precisely the same to the gears as any other link in the chain, from what I can tell. I've got
several, scattered across a number of bikes, most of which are MTBs in point of fact, and have had
nothing but pleasant results from their use.

><snip> I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy
take
> the chain off for a proper cleaning.
>
> Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power
Link
> use on MTBs?

Thanks for all replies. I just love it when everyone agrees with me.

Regards, Larry

"Larry Fieman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ><snip> I think it is a good idea to use a Power Link, because it makes it easy
> take
> > the chain off for a proper cleaning.
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is any basis for the warning to avoid Power
> Link
> > use on MTBs?
> >
> Thanks for all replies. I just love it when everyone agrees with me.
>
> Regards, Larry

I have had two fail, one on an mtb and one on a road bike. Both with moderate miles and good
lubrication. Cary a spare and ride home.

Bill Brannon