SRAM Power LInk on a Dura Ace 7700 9 spd chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Bilenkey

I was hoping to continue to use this perfectly fine Dura Ace 7700 9 spd chain I have but avoid using
Shimano's little replacement pins. SRAM says that their gold 9 speed Power Links have been designed
ONLY for use on a SRAM 9 speed chain. Fine I understand the liability issues and the high degree of
tolerancing that goes into these things, but I was wondering if perhaps someone has actually tried
this (putting a Power Link on a 7700 chain)?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

David

"David Bilenkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I was hoping to continue to use this perfectly fine Dura Ace 7700 9 spd chain I have but avoid
> using Shimano's little replacement pins. SRAM says that their gold 9 speed Power Links have been
> designed ONLY for use on a SRAM 9 speed chain. Fine I understand the liability issues and the high
> degree of tolerancing that goes into these things, but I was wondering if perhaps someone has
> actually tried this (putting a Power Link on a 7700 chain)?
>
> Anyone have any experience with this?
>

I was reluctant to try this at first, but was reassured by that fact that a lot of people here have
done it with no problems. I now have this setup on all my bikes and it works great. I find myself
much more likely to clean the drivetrain since using the powerlink.

Peter.

"Peter Van Buren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David Bilenkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I was hoping to continue to use this perfectly fine Dura Ace 7700 9 spd chain I have but avoid
> > using Shimano's little replacement pins. SRAM
says
> > that their gold 9 speed Power Links have been designed ONLY for use on a SRAM 9 speed chain.
> > Fine I understand the liability issues and the high degree of tolerancing that goes into these
> > things, but I was wondering
if
> > perhaps someone has actually tried this (putting a Power Link on a 7700 chain)?
> >
> > Anyone have any experience with this?
> >
>
> I was reluctant to try this at first, but was reassured by that fact that a lot of people here
> have done it with no problems. I now have this setup on all my bikes and it works great. I find
> myself much more likely to clean the drivetrain since using the powerlink.
>
> Peter.

I concur. I use the SRAM powerlink on all my Shimano chained bikes with zero problems

Watch the fact that you use the correct powerlink. In my opinion ther are two, a goldcollar one for
9-speed and a black one for 8speed Sramchains. You have to try which one is working on the 9-speed
Shimanochain the best.

"David Bilenkey" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> I was hoping to continue to use this perfectly fine Dura Ace 7700 9 spd chain I have but avoid
> using Shimano's little replacement pins. SRAM says that their gold 9 speed Power Links have been
> designed ONLY for use on a SRAM 9 speed chain. Fine I understand the liability issues and the high
> degree of tolerancing that goes into these things, but I was wondering if perhaps someone has
> actually tried this (putting a Power Link on a 7700 chain)?
>
> Anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

dblinkey-<< but I was wondering if perhaps someone has actually tried this (putting a Power Link on
a 7700 chain)? >><BR><BR>

yep, and onto Campag 9s chains as well...no problema-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:32:36 -0400, "David Bilenkey" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was hoping to continue to use this perfectly fine Dura Ace 7700 9 spd chain I have but avoid
>using Shimano's little replacement pins. SRAM says that their gold 9 speed Power Links have been
>designed ONLY for use on a SRAM 9 speed chain. Fine I understand the liability issues and the high
>degree of tolerancing that goes into these things, but I was wondering if perhaps someone has
>actually tried this (putting a Power Link on a 7700 chain)?

Seems from some responses that this will work, but you could also use a Super Link. See:
http://www.lickbike.com/i0338150.htm

I find it somewhat curious that Lickton's (who I understand contracted with Forster to manufacture
the Super Link when Craig discontinued production) spells it both "SuperLink" and "Superlink" on the
page, yet it's "Super Link" (two words) on the packaging.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

>>(putting a Power Link on a 7700 chain)
> yep, and onto Campag 9s chains as well...no problema-
Is that the gold coloured link?

Fr. Gr., Derk

will that link also work with a 105 9 spd chain??

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> derk-<< Is that the gold coloured link? >><BR><BR>
>
>
> Yessir....
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.