SRAM power link on Shimano chains

Michael Press

Guest
Will an SRAM gold power link work on Shimano 9-speed chains?

The package says use on chains other than a coupld SRAM chains listed
"WILL result in chain failure", but that may be their lawyers
talking...

The mechanic at my LBS said no, but I recall a post on this NG saying
it would work on Shimano 10-speed chains...

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Press wrote:

> Will an SRAM gold power link work on Shimano 9-speed chains?
>
> The package says use on chains other than a coupld SRAM chains listed
> "WILL result in chain failure", but that may be their lawyers
> talking...
>
> The mechanic at my LBS said no, but I recall a post on this NG saying
> it would work on Shimano 10-speed chains...

I don't know about 10-speed, but it's fine on 9-speed. It's probably
SRAM's marketing people talking, rather than their lawyers. They want
you to buy a SRAM chain.

Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Will an SRAM gold power link work on Shimano 9-speed chains?
>
> The package says use on chains other than a coupld SRAM chains listed
> "WILL result in chain failure", but that may be their lawyers
> talking...
>
> The mechanic at my LBS said no, but I recall a post on this NG saying
> it would work on Shimano 10-speed chains...

I'm using a Shimano DA 9 chain with SRAM "gold" 9 powerlink, works
well on my *mutt* bike, which has Campy 9 ergo shifter/Campy 9 rear
der, Shimano 9 hub/cassette.....

I use the SRAM Power Link 2 on 9 speed Campagnolo chains and 9 speed
Shimano chains. I know someone who uses the SRAM link on Shimano
chains on a tandem that made it through PBP 1999.

Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Will an SRAM gold power link work on Shimano 9-speed chains?
>
> The package says use on chains other than a coupld SRAM chains listed
> "WILL result in chain failure", but that may be their lawyers
> talking...
>
> The mechanic at my LBS said no, but I recall a post on this NG saying
> it would work on Shimano 10-speed chains...
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

michael-<< Will an SRAM gold power link work on Shimano 9-speed chains?
>><BR><BR>

yes.

michael<< The package says use on chains other than a coupld SRAM chains listed
"WILL result in chain failure", but that may be their lawyers
talking... >><BR><BR>

garbage-lawyer-speak

Michael-
<< The mechanic at my LBS said no, but I recall a post on this NG saying
it would work on Shimano 10-speed chains... >><BR><BR>

He needs to try it.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.