SRAM Power Link usage

Hi, everone,

Can anyone please tell me if a SRAM power link (gold) can be used more
than once on a SRAM chain? I think I was either told, or read
somewhere, that it should be used only once. There was no information
on such at SRAM's website. Does anyone have any good, definitive
advice on this?
Thanks in advance,
Richard

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi, everone,
>
> Can anyone please tell me if a SRAM power link (gold) can be used more
> than once on a SRAM chain? I think I was either told, or read
> somewhere, that it should be used only once. There was no information
> on such at SRAM's website. Does anyone have any good, definitive
> advice on this?
> Thanks in advance,
> Richard

Yes, use it more than once

sure. it depends. they all do that
but sometimes they don't.
buy two packs-4 halves. you're gonna loose one.
find old audio speakers and hammer or better burn the magnets out. use
magnets for finding lost sram halves.
hget some colored paper clips at walmart. the coating keeps the clips
flexible. when taking chain off to clean in thinner (reusable poured
into isoproplyl bottle and set in sunlight with cay screwed on tight),
attach and bend clip to link/roller/sram. Rollers run off also:
nothing like loose roller and a loose sram at 7AM.
Examine links shafts after use. You will see wear but the steel is
durable. If you're well off, throw the used link at a poor friend
after the links shows significant wear, if snot keep on using it.
Walmart sells $2 vice grips can be ground using a grinder into a
parrot like beak or Arab nose that'll bend around a roller into the
space between and SRAMKADABRA remove a brand new sram link without
fuss nor bother.
Which is really cool. like, toliet paper.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi, everone,
>
> Can anyone please tell me if a SRAM power link (gold) can be used more
> than once on a SRAM chain? I think I was either told, or read
> somewhere, that it should be used only once. There was no information
> on such at SRAM's website. Does anyone have any good, definitive
> advice on this?

I've been using the same two SRAM power links on two bikes (both now with
Shimano chains) for a LONG time. If I ever change chains again (! -- they
just keep working), it will be time to retire them to saddle-bag duty. Not
sure it matters, however, as if these are going to wear then they've already
done it and they're working fine.

Bill "slight tick sound once in a while" S.

[email protected] wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me if a SRAM power link (gold) can be used more
> than once on a SRAM chain? I think I was either told, or read
> somewhere, that it should be used only once. There was no information
> on such at SRAM's website. Does anyone have any good, definitive
> advice on this?

You can certainly open and rejoin your snaplink but the link's pins wear
so you can't use one forever on successive new chains.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

the pins wear out. I clean chains to keep driveline efficiency up,
friction down caws the ease of a clean chain is enjoyable where
grinding along 3 gears down from chain grit is snot.
after 3 chains maybe at you know duhduhduh 3-4000 miles+* ,the pin has
a groove or channel worn in and the length of that area assembled into
the running chain exceeds my tolerance for the new chain which has
zero stretch.
worser, sometimes the pin achieves a conical wear pattern which for
sure you should give to your friend.
new links need clean running or the link pliers caws when a new set
with a new chain fills with grit &*&^@!!! it is difficult
dissaamebling fersure. you can spend 1/2 hr no problem soaking the
link with thinner to solve the grit and pulling and squeezing and
pulling and squeezing and then you grind a set of pliers and clink off
it comes then you crawl around on the driveway sweeping the magnet
wondering why in !#@&^%% sram didn't coat links yellow or orange.
now that's a cool drop down menu $4.95 yellow blue orange black,,,

On Sep 16, 5:40 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi, everone,
>
> Can anyone please tell me if a SRAM power link (gold) can be used more
> than once on a SRAM chain? I think I was either told, or read
> somewhere, that it should be used only once. There was no information
> on such at SRAM's website. Does anyone have any good, definitive
> advice on this?
> Thanks in advance,
> Richard

'Used more than once", don't understand. They can be opened and closed
many times but should not be used on a new chain, if the link is an
old one. New chain, new link.

Qui si parla -

care to substantiate from empirical data?
or anecdotal data?
deductive or inductive logic?
assumption, divination, heresay, gossip, BS,
something you read, ate, were bitten by,
a tall tale, a biblical source,
transcendent revelation?
you know: what's the story here?

On Sep 17, 9:05 am, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla -
>
> care to substantiate from empirical data?
> or anecdotal data?
> deductive or inductive logic?
> assumption, divination, heresay, gossip, BS,
> something you read, ate, were bitten by,
> a tall tale, a biblical source,
> transcendent revelation?
> you know: what's the story here?

fiat?

Thanks, all, for the great and informative answers. I should have been
more specific according to Peter's post. I meant to say that for the
purposes of taking the same chain off- for cleaning in solvent- could
it be resused without fear of it failing somehow? Logic tells me it's
OK but I don't want to be caught out in the wilds with a failed chain
due to re-using a Power Link.

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 05:27:49 -0700, "Qui si parla
Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sep 16, 5:40 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi, everone,
>>
>> Can anyone please tell me if a SRAM power link (gold) can be used more
>> than once on a SRAM chain? I think I was either told, or read
>> somewhere, that it should be used only once. There was no information
>> on such at SRAM's website. Does anyone have any good, definitive
>> advice on this?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Richard

>'Used more than once", don't understand. They can be opened and closed
>many times but should not be used on a new chain, if the link is an
>old one. New chain, new link.

dear myst,

using small nosed pliers, double check the reinstallations thru
squeezing the lkinks middle sectiojn inward, gently. thais forces pin
outward and over sidebar flange. Then eyeball pin location in slot.
take a look at the slot with birght light and magnification. pin seats
allllll the way into the outward corner, hiding bar flange and popping
out a bit.
Ifn the link doesn't completely seat, get on the bike and pedal gently
forward. if nothing undue happens, stand on it for a 100' and that'll
seat it or pop it off to start over.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi, everone,
>
> Can anyone please tell me if a SRAM power link (gold) can be used more
> than once on a SRAM chain? I think I was either told, or read
> somewhere, that it should be used only once.

gold = 9 speed; yes you can open and close them more then once. New one
every chain.
10 speed links: only to connect the 10 speed chain once (convenient and
safe).

> There was no information
> on such at SRAM's website.

That's a terrible website.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

On Sep 17, 6:05 am, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qui si parla -
>
> care to substantiate from empirical data?
> or anecdotal data?
> deductive or inductive logic?
> assumption, divination, heresay, gossip, BS,
> something you read, ate, were bitten by,
> a tall tale, a biblical source,
> transcendent revelation?
> you know: what's the story here?

Ever have one break on you? I have (A Wipperman, not a SRAM). The
bloody elbow and knee made the bus ride home seem fun by comparison.

I will never reuse a master link from chain to chain.

I think the idea is that a Powerlink won't last indefinitely. It
probably wears at the same rate as the rest of the chain's links.
Since a new SRAM Powerlink is packaged with every new chain, better to
throw the old one away.
I keep a worn P-link around as an emergency spare

On Sep 17, 11:44 am, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> gold = 9 speed; yes you can open and close them more then once. New one
> every chain.
> 10 speed links: only to connect the 10 speed chain once (convenient and
> safe).

Hm...interesting--so did SRAM's Power Link move from reusable (or
rather re-open/close-able) to not, while KMC's Missing Link went the
other way (at least for some models)?

Victor Kan wrote:
> On Sep 17, 11:44 am, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> gold = 9 speed; yes you can open and close them more then once. New one
>> every chain.
>> 10 speed links: only to connect the 10 speed chain once (convenient and
>> safe).

> Hm...interesting--so did SRAM's Power Link move from reusable (or
> rather re-open/close-able) to not, while KMC's Missing Link went the
> other way (at least for some models)?

Apparantly. It's called Power Lock now. I can see the point of it, given
the chance of operator errors, using special pins (Shimano) or the need
of special (expensive) tools (Campagnolo).

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

ok. some of us use sram links with HG chains. no free links.
having tried both methods, new links new chains, reusing links new
chains 3-4 times and once-twice at a 7-8 times level as I had lost
link halves.
I found no noticeable difference in wear between reuse and no reuse.
the reason for this is choseable at the first choice level. Rather
than believe one more wear factor in the same categories as other wear
factors - link length due to wear gives more link wear and more gear
wear (not alien intervention) gives unwanted additional wear avaoided
thru using a new link -
one chooses the other obvious that is the sram link is fabricated from
metals harder than the HG chain (and absolutely harder than the sram
chain which is made from cow flop) therefore any additional wear on
the first and second replacement chains same sram link moves froward
at a farv slower rate than the current replacement chain and CR's
that is, again, what is obvious is the link is wearing far slower than
chain or Cr's or cogs therefore not a significant factor on total
current wear.

one more variable:
one would assume the adjacent links of a reused sram link would show
more wear than links at the chains farthest distance other links.
At low mileages, adjacent links sometimes show more wear, and on other
chains do not show more wear. At higher rates of repeat use say 4
reuses or more, adjacent links tend to show more wear at lower milages
than links at farthest link distances from the sram link.
However, as at post 17, inspection at chain mileages say 500 miles or
more, link wear moves toward randomness where greater wear than
adjacent link wear occurs anywhere not just adjacently when reuse
stays below reuseage 4.