SRAM Power Link

Jack

Guest
Please settle a disagreement here.

Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?

I say it's not a good idea.

Jack

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:02:54 GMT, jack <[email protected]> may have said:

>Please settle a disagreement here.
>
>Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?

If one were so minded, an entire chain could be expensively built from inner links and Powerlinks,
so yes, two could be used.

>I say it's not a good idea.

In my own case, I see no reason to avoid two if that's the most expedient means to get a bike into
service. I've had no problem with them, and would not hesitate to add a second if that was needed
for some reason. On the other hand, some people have reported failures of Powerlinks. Those who have
had failures might be better advised to go some other route. I think this needs to be approached as
a matter to be guided by personal experience and necessity rather than rigid policy.

"jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Please settle a disagreement here.
>
> Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
>
> I say it's not a good idea.
>
> Jack

I've ridden over 400 miles with my double (2) powerlink chain, including the vail ultra.

I don't know if it is a good idea, but I haven't had any problems :)...

-jeff

> If one were so minded, an entire chain could be expensively built from inner links and Powerlinks

Wow, that's a great idea! That way i never have to search for the Power Link when i want to take
the chain of.

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:02:54 GMT, jack <[email protected]> may have said:
>
> >Please settle a disagreement here.
> >
> >Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
>
> If one were so minded, an entire chain could be expensively built from inner links and Powerlinks,
> so yes, two could be used.
>
> >I say it's not a good idea.
>
> In my own case, I see no reason to avoid two if that's the most expedient means to get a bike into
> service. I've had no problem with them, and would not hesitate to add a second if that was needed
> for some reason. On the other hand, some people have reported failures of Powerlinks. Those who
> have had failures might be better advised to go some other route. I think this needs to be
> approached as a matter to be guided by personal experience and necessity rather than rigid policy.
>
> --
> My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
> don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

Originally posted by Jack
Please settle a disagreement here.

Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?

I say it's not a good idea.

Jack

We do it on our tandem synch chain due to it's length.
We use another one on the rear chain.
I carry a Craig Superlink and a spare piece of chain whenever we ride the tandem and whenever I tour on my single. I have never needed to put in another link, but I would do it without hesitation if the need came up.
Just remember to check chain wear in more than one section.

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:02:54 GMT, jack <[email protected]> wrote:

>Please settle a disagreement here.
>
>Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
>
>I say it's not a good idea.
>
>Jack

Works for me. I have a LWB recumbent and one length of PC-58 chain isn't long enough. Don't know if
there are any LWB's that need more than 3 pieces of chain.

For an old-style upright there is no great reason for more than one powerlink.

An interesting experiment to test powerlink durability is a chain made entirely of powerlinks and
SRAM inner links. Would it break easier? Shift better or worse? And how about the eternal troll
bait, drivetrain efficiency.

Jim

jack <[email protected]> wrote:

>Please settle a disagreement here.
>
>Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
>
>I say it's not a good idea.
>
>Jack

So far no one's asked why you might want to do this. If you're repairing a chain on the road it's probably a great idea. If you're making an extra long tandem or recumbant chain it's also probably a great idea. If you accidentally made your chain too short and need to add in a section with links at both ends - probably OK.

I think the Power Links are a little bit wider than a normal link so if you had too many of them the shifting might suffer a bit and it might be a little noisier, but probably not any less safe or strong.

Why not? I use 240 link chains that are conveniently assembled from two and a fraction pre-cut
lengths. Since I like to use SRAMs with mushroomed pin-heads, I have to use THREE connectors.
Imagine an LBS buying bulk chain rather than precut - maybe someday.

"jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Please settle a disagreement here.
>
> Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
>
> I say it's not a good idea.
>
> Jack

jack <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Please settle a disagreement here.
>
> Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
>
> I say it's not a good idea.
>
> Jack

Dear Jack,

I vaguely recall that Berto's "The Dancing Chain" showed how early Tour de France Riders used
reversible rear wheels with a small high-speed sprocket on one side and a large low-speed climbing
sprocket on the other. At the top of the pass, they'd reverse the wheel, remove a small section of
chain (two master links), re-connect the shortened chain over the smaller high-speed cog, and zoom
down the mountain.

So it was not only possible, but also a good idea 80 years ago. If one PowerLink works, it's hard to
see why another would fail--they can't actually touch each other and are not known to exhibit any
conscious resentment for sharing the same chain.

(It's only posters who occasionally become irritable and unruly when forced to share the
same thread.)

Carl Fogel

jack <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Please settle a disagreement here.
>
> Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
>
> I say it's not a good idea.

i cant see how it would be any different from running just one. how would one powerlink be affected
by the other? or are you just saying you are twice as likely to break a chain at one of the
allegedly weak links.

myself, i havent run two at a time, but i know there are a lot of single speeders who do. when they
want to switch to a bigger gear in the back, like with a flipflop hub, you can add chain length by
carrying the appropriate length of chain and another quicklink.

cheers, anthony

Why don't you use the 11 foot long chains made for recumbents ?

DiabloScott wrote:
> So far no one's asked why you might want to do this. If you're repairing a chain on the road it's
> probably a great idea. If you're making an extra long tandem or recumbant chain it's also probably
> a great idea. If you accidentally made your chain too short and need to add in a section with
> links at both ends - probably OK.

Exactly, or changed largest sprocket or chainring for larger one, or decided that everything might
be better with wheel fitted further back in the (horizontal) dropouts. I've been using a Campagnolo
C9 chain with two SRAM Gold powerlinks with no problems and would not hesitate to add more if I
wanted to for any reason.

> I think the Power Links are a little bit wider than a normal link so if you had too many of them
> the shifting might suffer a bit and it might be a little noisier

I haven't noticed that.

~PB

"swamprun" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why don't you use the 11 foot long chains made for recumbents ?

No such thing.

Most recumbent makers simply join the standard length chains to get the right length. At at
least one recumbent maker's factory, I did see big rolls of chain from which the appropriate
length was cut.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

> I've ridden over 400 miles with my double (2) powerlink chain, including the vail ultra.
>
> I don't know if it is a good idea, but I haven't had any problems :)...

On my recumbent, I have three powerlinks - it takes about 2-1/3 standard chains to provide all that
I need. So far, about 2500 miles with no trouble. Keep in mind that the extra-long chain will
probably last longer than one on a regular bike, though, and it'll never face the extra stress from
standing on the pedals. Then again, if the powerlinks were really too weak, even one would be a
problem...

Some recumbent-specific shops carry extra-long chains pre-made, but they cost as much or more than
just buying standard chains and hooking them together.
--
Russ [email protected] the wabbit to despam "In the 60's people took
acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

jack wrote:

> Please settle a disagreement here.
>
> Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
>
> I say it's not a good idea.

So you'd stand up on the pedals with your SRAM link but not if there were two of them???

Whatever difference would it make?

>> Why don't you use the 11 foot long chains made for recumbents ?
>
> No such thing.
>
> Most recumbent makers simply join the standard length chains to get the right length. At at
> least one recumbent maker's factory, I did see big rolls of chain from which the appropriate
> length was cut.

Check this out. Are you saying they are making these from smaller chains ?

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983898411

My LBS gives a SIGNIFICANT discount when I buy parts. Cyber bike shops don't. The difference pays
for a lot of inconvenience.

"swamprun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> >> Why don't you use the 11 foot long chains made for recumbents ?
> >
> > No such thing.
> >
> > Most recumbent makers simply join the standard length chains to get the right length. At at
> > least one recumbent maker's factory, I did see big rolls of chain from which the appropriate
> > length was cut.
>
> Check this out. Are you saying they are making these from smaller chains
?

> http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983898411

> Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
Yes, you can use any number.

> I say it's not a good idea.

Right you are: powerlinks are not a good idea at all. Used them on some long trips and I find that
durace chains joined with Shimano pins shift much better.

Per http://lowdin.nu

In article <[email protected]>, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> jack wrote:
>
> > Please settle a disagreement here.
> >
> > Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
> >
> > I say it's not a good idea.
>

> So you'd stand up on the pedals with your SRAM link but not if there were two of them???
>
> Whatever difference would it make?

Well the feeling I am getting is that maybe I am too cautious about using two powerlinks. I was
ASSuming that the powerlinks may be a little weaker than a regular pinned link and adding a second
one doubles a persons chances for failure.

I stand corrected.

Thank you for all the great responses.

Jack

In article <[email protected]>, jack
<[email protected]> writes:

>Please settle a disagreement here.
>
>Is it possible to use two powerlink connectors on one chain?
>
>I say it's not a good idea.

It is possible, I have 1800 miles on just that right now. But I have a particular reason for doing
it. Why would you want to?

Tom Gibb <[email protected]