SRAM Power Lock Chain 10 Speed service

krzys

May 23, 2006
Hi One and All:

I have a new road bike - Serotta Steel with Ultegra including a SRAM PC 1070 10 speed chain. I would like to take it off but the Power Lock is confusing me somewhat.

Does anyone have experience they could share about these chains? SRAM advises not to de-link the Power Lock links after they are installed. They are supposed to be used to size up the proper chain length when you first buy it. If I want to take the chain off the bike, would I use a standard chain removal tool to open and close any link other than the Power Lock links?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

krzys said:
Hi One and All:

I have a new road bike - Serotta Steel with Ultegra including a SRAM PC 1070 10 speed chain. I would like to take it off but the Power Lock is confusing me somewhat.

Does anyone have experience they could share about these chains? SRAM advises not to de-link the Power Lock links after they are installed. They are supposed to be used to size up the proper chain length when you first buy it. If I want to take the chain off the bike, would I use a standard chain removal tool to open and close any link other than the Power Lock links?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

The 10s Sram link is 'one time use' and from what I hear about Sram 10s chain issues(breaking) I would not try to open the link. If ya gotta take it off, split at any link and then install using a Wipperman 10s link, which is truly reuseable.

Next time, just get the Wipperman link up front and throw the Sram(or shimano or Campag pin) away.