SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain

Jeremy Collins

Guest
Hi all,

Can I fit a (9-speed) SRAM Powerlink to a (9-speed) Shimano chain?

Cheers,

--
jc

Jeremy Collins wrote:
> Can I fit a (9-speed) SRAM Powerlink to a (9-speed) Shimano chain?

Yes.

I would qualify that, but there's nothing much to add.

d.

Jeremy Collins wrote:
> Can I fit a (9-speed) SRAM Powerlink to a (9-speed) Shimano chain?

Yes.

I would qualify that, but there's nothing much to add.

d.

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:18:13 +0100, davek <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Jeremy Collins wrote:
>> Can I fit a (9-speed) SRAM Powerlink to a (9-speed) Shimano chain?

> Yes.

Thanks!

--
jc

wrote:

> Jeremy Collins wrote:
>> Can I fit a (9-speed) SRAM Powerlink to a (9-speed) Shimano chain?

> Yes.

Thanks!

--
jc

Jeremy Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:18:13 +0100, davek <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Collins wrote:
>>> Can I fit a (9-speed) SRAM Powerlink to a (9-speed) Shimano chain?

>> Yes.

> Thanks!

Just to add to the discussion,I saw somewhere recently ( can't for the life
of me remember where ) that SRAM say not to fit a Powerlink to a Shimano
chain.

Doubtless a bit of marketing hype but I chuck it in for what it is worth.

Sam Salt

Jeremy Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:18:13 +0100, davek <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Collins wrote:
>>> Can I fit a (9-speed) SRAM Powerlink to a (9-speed) Shimano chain?

>> Yes.

> Thanks!

Just to add to the discussion,I saw somewhere recently ( can't for the life
of me remember where ) that SRAM say not to fit a Powerlink to a Shimano
chain.

Doubtless a bit of marketing hype but I chuck it in for what it is worth.

Sam Salt

"Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Just to add to the discussion,I saw somewhere recently ( can't for the
> life
> of me remember where ) that SRAM say not to fit a Powerlink to a Shimano
> chain.
>
> Doubtless a bit of marketing hype but I chuck it in for what it is worth.

Meh. I'd say that's false information being spread by SRAM's marketing
department. (as one in marketing, it'd be something I'd do)

Also: I'm running a Shimano IG-51 chain (8-speed) with a SRAM Silver
PowerLink.
NO problems yet with 300km on it. (I take it off about every 3rd ride for a
swish in turps)

C.

> Also: I'm running a Shimano IG-51 chain (8-speed) with a SRAM Silver
> PowerLink.
> NO problems yet with 300km on it. (I take it off about every 3rd ride for a
> swish in turps)
>
> C.

Just changed my SRAM chain at about 6000km. A bit stretched. I never
clean chains other than to brush off accumulated gunge. The theory is
that cleaning a chain just creates new niches and crannies for more new
dust with sharp edges and greater grinding power - whereas the old dust
has reduced to a relatively harmless oily paste which is best left
undisturbed as it fills spaces which new dust would otherwise get into.
I wouldn't put money on this theory but it seems to work!

cheers

Jacob

> Just changed my SRAM chain at about 6000km. A bit stretched. I never
> clean chains other than to brush off accumulated gunge. The theory is
> that cleaning a chain just creates new niches and crannies for more new
> dust with sharp edges and greater grinding power - whereas the old dust
> has reduced to a relatively harmless oily paste which is best left
> undisturbed as it fills spaces which new dust would otherwise get into.
> I wouldn't put money on this theory but it seems to work!

PS or to put it another way - cleaning a chain is equivalent to
charging it with fresh grinding paste and will inevitably increase
wear.
Unless you are cycling off into a dust free paradise.

Jacob