SRAM rear mech with Campy 8 speed shifters?

A.Lee

Guest
I went into my LBS today for a new campag rear mech for the cross bike -
he only had a Veloce in stock which cost a bit more than I wanted to pay.
He then said that a SRAM rear mech would work fine with the campy
8 sp shifters/brifters.

I wasnt sure at all about this - anyone tried this before?
The Sram is cheaper, and probably, due to its MTB pedigree, more durable.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

"A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I went into my LBS today for a new campag rear mech for the cross bike -
> he only had a Veloce in stock which cost a bit more than I wanted to pay.
> He then said that a SRAM rear mech would work fine with the campy
> 8 sp shifters/brifters.
>
> I wasnt sure at all about this - anyone tried this before?
> The Sram is cheaper, and probably, due to its MTB pedigree, more durable.
> Any thoughts?

Well, lets see: Campy 8-speed shifters pull 3.5mm of cable per click.
8-speed Campy rear derailleurs have a mechanical advantage of 1.43:1.
Therefore, 3.5 x 1.43 gives 5.0 mm derailleur travel per index. This
matches Campy 7 and 8 speed cog spacing.

SRAM rear derailleurs have a mechanical advantage of 1:1. Or so they say.
My measurements come out at closer to 0.8 to 0.9 to 1. Whatever.
Therefore, installing an SRAM rear derailleur using Campy 8-speed Ergopower
shifters will result in a deralleur travel of somewhere between 2.8 and
3.5mm. This range does not match with any cassette or freewheel spacing
that I'm aware of. It is too narrow for any current chain. The narrowest
cog spacing is Shimano 10-speed at 3.95mm cog spacing.

Maybe this will work in the year 2011 when the new Shimano 14-speed
drivetrain comes out. I'll look forward to buying the 13-speed for stuff
cheap then.

alan-<< I went into my LBS today for a new campag rear mech for the cross bike
-
he only had a Veloce in stock which cost a bit more than I wanted to pay.
He then said that a SRAM rear mech would work fine with the campy
8 sp shifters/brifters. >><BR><BR>

Nope not so.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<qB64d.469903$M95.394832@pd7tw1no>...
> "A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >I went into my LBS today for a new campag rear mech for the cross bike -
> > he only had a Veloce in stock which cost a bit more than I wanted to pay.
> > He then said that a SRAM rear mech would work fine with the campy
> > 8 sp shifters/brifters.
> >
> > I wasnt sure at all about this - anyone tried this before?
> > The Sram is cheaper, and probably, due to its MTB pedigree, more durable.
> > Any thoughts?

> Well, lets see: Campy 8-speed shifters pull 3.5mm of cable per click.
> 8-speed Campy rear derailleurs have a mechanical advantage of 1.43:1.
> Therefore, 3.5 x 1.43 gives 5.0 mm derailleur travel per index. This
> matches Campy 7 and 8 speed cog spacing.
>
> SRAM rear derailleurs have a mechanical advantage of 1:1. Or so they say.
> My measurements come out at closer to 0.8 to 0.9 to 1. Whatever.
> Therefore, installing an SRAM rear derailleur using Campy 8-speed Ergopower
> shifters will result in a deralleur travel of somewhere between 2.8 and
> 3.5mm. This range does not match with any cassette or freewheel spacing
> that I'm aware of. It is too narrow for any current chain. The narrowest
> cog spacing is Shimano 10-speed at 3.95mm cog spacing.
>
> Maybe this will work in the year 2011 when the new Shimano 14-speed
> drivetrain comes out. I'll look forward to buying the 13-speed for stuff
> cheap then.

SRAM also makes a line of derailleurs that work with Shimano shifters.
It sounds doubtful that that would work with a Campagnolo drivetrain,
but perhaps it wouldn't be quite so far off.

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:47:34 +0000, Dave Mayer wrote:
> "A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message

>> He then said that a SRAM rear mech would work fine with the campy
>> 8 sp shifters/brifters.

> This range does not match with any cassette or freewheel spacing
> that I'm aware of.

As I thought - another clueless LBS shop employee then!

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:08:46 +0000, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> alan-<< I went into my LBS today for a new campag rear mech for the cross bike
> -
> he only had a Veloce in stock which cost a bit more than I wanted to pay.
> He then said that a SRAM rear mech would work fine with the campy
> 8 sp shifters/brifters. >><BR><BR>
>
> Nope not so.

Ta.I've since looked at online prices, and found I can get a Mirage rear
mech inc. post at half the price that he can do the Veloce for.
How can the LBS compete - no wonder he only kept the 1 mech in stock.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.