SRAM Red vs Durace Di2

nekovolta

Dec 15, 2014
Hi everyone,

I am about to buy a new bike. It is the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, but I am doubting with the model: TEAM KATUSHA or 9.0 SL. Both are the same bikes with the same components, wheels, etc. The only difference is with the group: The team katusha has the electronic durace Di2, and the SL is with the SRAM Red 22. This makes also a difference in the weight:

Team Katusha (durace Di2) = 6.3 kgs

SL (SRAM Red) = 6.1 kgs

Regardless of the final price, which one do you think is better election?

Thank you very much in advance!

Which do you prefer to use?

I've been using SRAM Force for two years now, and I like it a lot, but I'm in the minority, and I certainly wouldn't turn down a Shimano-equipped bike if it fell into my lap. But even if cost were no object, and I were to spec my ideal bike, it would have Red 22.

Gentlemen, start your flamethrowers.

Reactions: Owboduz
The answer is always Campy Record 9.0 Pro model or Super Record EPS Moviestar model, of course!

Better = very subjective at this level. Dura Ace and Force/Red are both capable of getting you through a local century or on the podium at the Tour.

Weight difference? Negligible.

Quality of groups? About even from what I have surmised with 'perhaps' shimaNO being a bit more durable under high mileage riders for some of the components. Take that as a somewhat speculative opinion based on a small sample size too.

The real question is do you prefer the mechanical SRAM setup or the electrically shifted shimaNO? But, to answer your question based on listening to my friends shift both brands of mechanical groups...shimaNO. It also wins points for the universal availability of spare parts and pricing (at least in the U.S.A.).

There is also the option of waiting for SRAM's electric group and going wireless if that hits the market sometime soon.

Canyon includes a torque wrench with the bike? That's awesome. The cost in saved warranty claims would justify subsidizing the wrench.

I'm an idiot, I don't like the idea of a battery powered derailleur system and little servo motors operating the derailleurs, to me that's just more to go wrong and more expensive to replace when things go south, not to mention if by some chance the battery dies on a ride and you're stuck in one gear.

I subscribe to theory of keeping things simple so I can fix it on the side of the road if something happens, but again I'm an idiot what do I know, all I know is that I want to be able to fix it, fix it cheap, and not rely on batteries, servo motors, and lots of money to keep me going.

Get the Sram and not worry about technology breaking or costing a lot of money to replace...just my idiotic opinion.