SRAM Red vs Red-Black

kuss

Sep 17, 2004
Comparing the two 2011 road groups (not the new SRAM ergo stuff), can anybody tell me if the shifters are identical? I had an eBay seller tell me that they were. I was under the impression that the Red-Black shifters were, well, black. Not carbon looking like the regular group. Can anybody confirm either way? Thanks!

Originally Posted by kuss .

Comparing the two 2011 road groups (not the new SRAM ergo stuff), can anybody tell me if the shifters are identical? I had an eBay seller tell me that they were. I was under the impression that the Red-Black shifters were, well, black. Not carbon looking like the regular group. Can anybody confirm either way? Thanks!
They're the same thing, it looks like its been an option for about a year;

http://www.sram.com/news/sram-red-turns-black-new-color-option-srams-top-end-groupset

Right, sorry, I wasn't clear. I know they are the same functionally, but they do not LOOK the same, right? The Red-Black shifter is actually BLACK and the Red shifter is NOT BLACK, right?

I want the black one. I ordered Red-Black and I think I got the Red shifter (it looks like very dark grey carbon). I took it up with the seller and he's telling me there is no difference (i.e. they look the same).

Sorry, thanks!

From what I've seen (and there may be other standards in different areas of the country):

Red shifters are naked carbon with a marbled finish with clearcoat.

Red-Black shifters are painted or coated gloss black over the carbon.