Sram releases XX Grip Shift

MMMhills

Nov 28, 2010
I copied this from Tree Fort Bikes:

This morning we were invited to snap some of the very first public photos of the soon to be release 10spd Grip Shift that so many have been waiting for. While most of the technical details are under wraps for the time being, what we were shown is very exciting.
The shifter itself has been completely redesigned and has some features that have not been seen on previous iterations of grip shift. At first glance, the minimalistic design is a small departure from previous generations. The rubber flange portion is the tallest profile section and everything tapers down from there. Underneath the shifter, a separate locking collar has been used to secure the shifter to the bar. Again a slight departure from previous generations where the locking seciong was “more integrated” but requiring a larger profile.
trans.gif

After shifting through a few gears, a positive crisp shift was on par with what is to be expected from Sram. The front shifter eliminated the trim positions as Sram is encouraging proper setup of their front derailleurs, which when done correctly, should mean that the trim position is unnecessary. We can also speculate that with the introduction of the new Red group which also eliminated the trim from the front shifter to match the new front derailleur design which utilizes changes in the derailleurs yaw through it’s movement. We may be seeing a new front derailleur to match sometime this year.

UPDATE – We just spoke with our contact for Sram and they’ve given us the green light to list some of the tech information that we learned this morning. First up, the new shifters will feature a bearing system to increase performance on the shifter. This is something of a surprise but not totally unexpected given the previous history with the X0 and XX trigger shifters. The reason that I say it’s a slight surprise because adding a bearing could increase the weight which was one of the most beloved features of the 9spd version. Although final weights weren’t provided to us, by the looks of the shifter itself, we could see it being near the same weight as the original 9spd version. The bearings themselves will provide a smoother action that will last longer and should be more durable. No word on whether or not the bearings in the XX will be ceramic or not.
In addition, the shifters are designed with a keyed grip that interlocks into the shifter to create a stable solid shift/grip unit that won’t move. It uses a locking clamp on on the outermost portion of the grip. Although it’s been designed with the grip, we’re being told that you can still use it without.
MSRP for the shifters is going to be $225 for the X0 version which includes the locking grips and $295 for the carbon fiber XX version which is going to include Gore Ride-On cables, locking grips and carbon fiber covers. – UPDATE
The shifter shown is a production X0 which will also be available in the standard black and red scheme that we’ve come to expect from the X0 group. A carbon fiber XX version is also scheduled to be release. Expect to see these shifters shipping in mid-april and technical information to be release in early March.

As a WW that is building a FS 29er this looks promising and will replace the XX trigger shifters I had planned on. The timing couldn't be better my RDO frame is due about the same time these will be released mid April. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Any thoughts?

The modern grip shift is a bit more expensive than would have thought it would be.

Originally Posted by MMMhills .

The shifter shown is a production X0 which will also be available in the standard black and red scheme that we’ve come to expect from the X0 group. A carbon fiber XX version is also scheduled to be release. Expect to see these shifters shipping in mid-april and technical information to be release in early March.

As a WW that is building a FS 29er this looks promising and will replace the XX trigger shifters I had planned on. The timing couldn't be better my RDO frame is due about the same time these will be released mid April. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Any thoughts?
FWIW. Well, it looks nice enough, BUT ...

• Having a smaller OD for the actual grip seems like a really bad idea for a non-show bike.

Originally Posted by alienator .

The modern grip shift is a bit more expensive than would have thought it would be.
FWIW. I have to agree!

To be cynical, it could be suggested that the HIGH pricing is to entice individuals like MMMhills to consider buying a set of SRAM's 10-speed GripShifts because I suspect that if they were priced like previous versions of GripShifts that they might be shunned as being merely an update of a perceived-to-be low end product ...

• GripShifts are ([COLOR= #ffa07a]have always been[/COLOR]) ubiquitous on department store bikes which have indexed shifting ...
  • [COLOR= #ff0000]disclosure[/COLOR]: I am one-of-the-three people who bought a set of Shimano's licensed-from-SRAM Gripshifts way-back-when ... 'I' prefer the GripShift design because you can move through many gears more rapidly ([COLOR= #808080]or, at least, that is how it seems to me[/COLOR]) ...
  • I don't recall how much I paid for my set of Shimano's licensed-from-SRAM, 8-speed GripShifts, but it was a miniscule fraction of the MSRP of the latest-and-greatest iteration of SRAM's GripShift design
[*] GripShifts are apparently as much of an acquired taste as not OR others have chosen to shun them in the past because of association with the fore mentioned department store bikes ...
  • most people apparently choose to graduate to non-GripShift shifters
  • MMMhills may be in the vanguard of the renaissance of GripShift use by MTB & Flat Bar users!

Originally Posted by alienator .

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= black]I agree and was surprised to see the price when they released it. In the past Grip Shifts had 3 main advantages, cheaper, lighter and faster shifting/dumps. It looks like cheaper is no longer an advantage.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= black]I do not buy stuff because it cost more and is perceived-to-be better I buy stuff because it is the best and unfortunately the best does come at a cost. I guess that’s the price I pay.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally Posted by MMMhills .

[SIZE= 12px][COLOR= black]... I buy stuff because it is the best and unfortunately the best does come at a cost. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
FWIW. Let me put it another way ([COLOR= #ffa07a]i.e., other than referring to them as [/COLOR][COLOR= #ff0000]an acquired taste[/COLOR]) ...

• If you weren't a fan of GripShifts before, for whatever reason, then you probably won't be happy with the XX GripShifts

At $225, these are about $50 cheaper than the X0 trigger shifters...

... and about $75 cheaper than a new set of Athena alloy levers. *cough*

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

At $225, these are about $50 cheaper than the X0 trigger shifters...

... and [COLOR= #0000ff]about $75 cheaper than a new set of Athena alloy levers[/COLOR]. *cough*
I'm an inquiring mind ...

• [COLOR= #0000ff]Is your curiosity about the price of a pair of CAMPAGNOLO Athena shifters a 'baby step' toward crossing over to what you have previously perceived to be [/COLOR][COLOR= #3333ff]THE DARK SIDE[/COLOR][COLOR= #0000ff]?!?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff] [/COLOR]

What makes you think that I percieve Campag to be the dark side when my time trial bike used to have Campag Record/Croce d'Aune components and Shamal wheels? I like Campagnolo bits - I just don't see them as offering any advantage (as it once did back pre-1987)

I just put that price in there to quell the notion of it being cheaper to somehow modify a set of Campag levers to suit this application :p

:)

What makes you think that I percieve Campag to be the dark side when my time trial bike used to have Campag Record/Croce d'Aune components and Shamal wheels? I like Campagnolo bits - I just don't see them as offering any advantage (as it once did back pre-1987)
OY!

It was meant as a JOKE which fell on deaf ears ...

Sorry for causing-or-adding to the consternation on the topic.

I just put that price in there to quell the notion of it being cheaper to somehow modify a set of Campag levers to suit this application :p
I have already noted that you can easily get a pair of Campagnolo shifters for under $200US on eBay ... 24/7.

BTW. If you are going to cite an LBS-or-mail-order price, then you should do the same for an upgrade from an 8-/9-speed Shimano drivetrain to a 10-speed Shimano drivetrain which will necessitate a new cassette, a new front derailleur & a new chain + the shifters rather than just the cost of a pair of 10-speed Campagnolo shfiters.

Alf,

Please take note of little emoticons like these...

:p

:)

It really does alter the intent of the post.

Thanks,

Swampy.