SRAM Rival and Shimano Ultegra

gnomeinurlawn16

Aug 1, 2010
So Im debating between two bikes (yeah I know theres a section for that but this is just about the components) and they are very similar except for the SRAM Rival and the Shimano Ultegra. Ive asked my friends and they HATE all Shimano so they said SRAM but before they told me thier opinion, they told me that Ultegra was better, but what really makes it better? So that may have been kinda confusing (im not good with words) but pretty much what im asking is, what do you guys like better? Rival or Ultegra?

Gnome

gnomeinurlawn16 said:
So Im debating between two bikes (yeah I know theres a section for that but this is just about the components) and they are very similar except for the SRAM Rival and the Shimano Ultegra. Ive asked my friends and they HATE all Shimano so they said SRAM but before they told me thier opinion, they told me that Ultegra was better, but what really makes it better? So that may have been kinda confusing (im not good with words) but pretty much what im asking is, what do you guys like better? Rival or Ultegra?

Sorry, I'm a Campy guy, so of course I think both Shimano and SRAM are weaker choices. ;) I think SRAM Force compares more equally with Ultegra, but objectively both Rival and Ultegra will work just fine for you. There are ergonomic differences, but how those rank is determined by personal preference.

Well i mean, if i could iwould get campy everytime but thats not what these bikes are coming with. So to clairfy, you think its just personal prefference?

gnomeinurlawn16 said:
Well i mean, if i could iwould get campy everytime but thats not what these bikes are coming with. So to clairfy, you think its just personal prefference?

Oh, there are weight differences, but those aren't going to affect performance in any way, so, yes, it's just personal preference. Note that they both shift in different ways. Have you ridden bikes with Shimano and SRAM?

Ive ridden Shimano Ultegra once and my current bike has tiagra but ive never ridden SRAM, what is the difference really?

alienator said:
Oh, there are weight differences, but those aren't going to affect performance in any way, so, yes, it's just personal preference. Note that they both shift in different ways. Have you ridden bikes with Shimano and SRAM?

gnomeinurlawn16 said:
Ive ridden Shimano Ultegra once and my current bike has tiagra but ive never ridden SRAM, what is the difference really?

SRAM's right shifter uses what they call "Double Tap." Unlike Shimano and Campy, SRAM's Double Tap makes use of only one lever. To upshift, you swing the lever through a short distance. To downshift, you shift the lever through a longer distance. So SRAM's Double Tap uses only one lever to accomplish both upshifts and downshifts.

I like Rival better because you can shift through gears in your cassette faster than Ultegra 6700.

However, the Ultegra 6700 crankset is far superior to the Rival crankset due the hollow outer chainring making it super stiff and allowing perfect front shifting.

alienator said:
SRAM's right shifter uses what they call "Double Tap." Unlike Shimano and Campy, SRAM's Double Tap makes use of only one lever. To upshift, you swing the lever through a short distance. To downshift, you shift the lever through a longer distance. So SRAM's Double Tap uses only one lever to accomplish both upshifts and downshifts.

Not a big deal but just to elaborate a bit: the double tap is used on both right and left shifters with SRAM. The brake lever is not used to change gears at all. And you can move down (but not up) multiple gears by moving the shift lever a longer distance. It really is a matter of preference and most people seem to be able to move back and forth between the Shimano and SRAM systems without much trouble.

Campy guy too, but if those were my choices,I'd opt for Ultegra 6700 (assuming this is the choice). A buddy of mine just built his Cervelo RS with 6700 (he was on DA 7800 previously) and crank stiffness and front derailleur shifting is outstanding.

It looks good too and Ultera has a long standing reputation for quality and value. I had the 6500 group for years and was very happy with it.

PeterF said:
Campy guy too, but if those were my choices,I'd opt for Ultegra 6700 (assuming this is the choice). A buddy of mine just built his Cervelo RS with 6700 (he was on DA 7800 previously) and crank stiffness and front derailleur shifting is outstanding.

It looks good too and Ultera has a long standing reputation for quality and value. I had the 6500 group for years and was very happy with it.

Gotta agree after building a few bikes with 7900 and 6700 and working on sram. shimano seems so much more refined than sram plus far better BB bearings, chainrings, much better FD action. If ya can't get Campagnolo, shimano would be my choice.

The is not real difference except that rival should be compared to 105 instead of Ultregra. I would compare Force and Ultegra so then you can compare red and dura-ace... :)

What you should think about is do you have more than one bike, then stick the the same brand over all your bikes so you can mix and swap and borrow parts between your bikes..

Shimano parts play with other shimano parts (well almost) and sram mix with sram well (i have a sram red force rival mixed bike and a sram force rival bike..) but don't play together too well.

I have just got SRAM Rival on my new bike. I like it, however its personal choice. I like the double tap as it means the brake lever is just for braking, plus the carbon brake levers look nice. As a comparison I think its between 105 and Ultegra. If its setup correctly rear shifting with Rival is great, I have to agree that the front shifting probably isn't as good as shimano it takes a lot of tweaking to get it setup correctly. Its works fine now but took a few rides to get it right.