SRAM Rival Compact Crankset compatabile with Shimano F/Deraillier

jclsmith

Oct 10, 2005
Ive got a Giant OCR Comp 2 and the cranks have **** themselves. It is currently running a 105 f/d. Will I be able run the SRAM Rival Compact Crankset on the bike???

jclsmith said:
Ive got a Giant OCR Comp 2 and the cranks have **** themselves. It is currently running a 105 f/d. Will I be able run the SRAM Rival Compact Crankset on the bike???
According to Shimano, their standard ROAD front derailleur design is suitable for either 'standard' or 'compact' cranksets ...

I believe the presumption is that the compact crank will not have a chainring that is larger than 50t.

jclsmith said:

Yep, match the front derailleur to the shifter. shimano front ders will shift compacts from any company just fine, as ong as you use a shimano left STI lever.

BUT look at a Campagnolo UT Veloce or Centaur compact. MUCH better gear.

Peter@vecchios said:
Yep, match the front derailleur to the shifter. shimano front ders will shift compacts from any company just fine, as long as you use a shimano left STI lever.

BUT look at a Campagnolo UT Veloce or Centaur compact. MUCH better gear.
Shimano front derailleurs can also be used with Campagnolo shifters.

I have a Centaur compact 50/34 and a standard chorus fd. If I use the compact without the special FD am I going to burst into flames or suffer some other type of misfortune?

PeterF said:
I have a Centaur compact 50/34 and a standard chorus fd. If I use the compact without the special FD am I going to burst into flames or suffer some other type of misfortune?

Compact cranks came into style way before compact front derailleurs. We installed many compacts(FSA) onto Campag systems with standard double front derailleurs w/o any problem. As a side note, we have seen that these FSA compacts, both aluminum and carbon, are turning out to be particularly poor in terms of bearing and chainring robustness. shimano and Campagnolo are both much better.

Peter@vecchios said:
10s front ders, yes, not 9s front ders, in my experience.
Well, thank goodness I didn't know any better before you posted your observation because I've been using Ultegra 6500 & 6503 front derailleurs with my Campy shifters for years ... but, I'm generally using 9-speed Shimano chains; so that may be why it works for me.

My 1998 Veloce left shifter works perfectly well with a 7spd Shimano FD and 9spd chain on "7spd" cranks.

alfeng said:
Well, thank goodness I didn't know any better before you posted your observation because I've been using Ultegra 6500 & 6503 front derailleurs with my Campy shifters for years ... but, I'm generally using 9-speed Shimano chains; so that may be why it works for me.

Sorry for the confusion. I thought the question was SHIMANO STI and Campagnolo front derailleurs. Of course ERGO can be used with any front derailleur. My other input was using a shimano FD with 2007/8 Campagnolo Centaur and below(QS/Escape ****)..and the 10s shimano FD worked, the 9s disn't.

Peter@vecchios said:
10s front ders, yes, not 9s front ders, in my experience.

Sorry brain fart..see post below.

10s shimano FD work with 2007/8 Centaur and below left ERGO but 9s don't.

Peter@vecchios said:
10s shimano FD work with 2007/8 Centaur and below left ERGO but 9s don't.
Okay, kids ... this is going to be an example of SHADE TREE vs. SHOP ...

I was able to mate (work stand, only) a 2007 Veloce QS with its Xenon-internals to a Shimano 6503 front derailleur and make it work with a 'regular' crank with two chanirings ... but, I reckon it may have 'worked' for me because the resting cable tension may NOT have been quite as taut as on a bike that Peter sends out the door ...

I did not try the QS shifters with a Shimano front derailleur + triple crankset ...