SRAM Road Brake Lever Shifters

lwedge said:
What do you guys and gals think about the new SRAM Road Shifters ? What are your thoughts about SRAM's presents in the Road component market in general. I think it's great for the consumer as long as SRAM develops quality components. Competition is good....;)

http://www.roadbikerider.com/sram.htm

http://www.bicycling.com/gear/review/0,3307,s1-13714,00.html?category_id=361&family_id=61

Lw
As long as they make good equipment I don't care. Personally when I read the article on Cycling News that explained the shifting operation I thought it was okay but not as good as Campy. I'm not sure how Shimano does it but on the Ergopower I can shift up or down 2-3 gears at a time if I want. The SRAM you can only go down one and up multiple. That would be a minus to me. Also I'm probably not a good person to evaluate it because I don't see me buying, using anything but Campy.

I'm not convinced the SRAM double tap concept is the one they will launch.

I forsee some reliability issues. If the user is required to make a quick decision for a up shift you need to push the lever much further than with either an STi or Ergo Power set up.
Personally, I think it will have to be significantly better than either Shimano ior Campy for me to consider switching to their new system which seems too different for different's sake.

lwedge said:
What do you guys and gals think about the new SRAM Road Shifters ? What are your thoughts about SRAM's presents in the Road component market in general. I think it's great for the consumer as long as SRAM develops quality components. Competition is good....;)

http://www.roadbikerider.com/sram.htm

http://www.bicycling.com/gear/review/0,3307,s1-13714,00.html?category_id=361&family_id=61

Lw

their MTB stuff is now good , after a few false starts and it´s good to have some competition for campy and shimano - they´ve had it too easy too long .
bring it on .

el Inglés said:
their MTB stuff is now good , after a few false starts and it´s good to have some competition for campy and shimano - they´ve had it too easy too long .
bring it on .
I agree with you Ingle's. I wonder who will bite first for component contracts - Obea, Trek, Giant, LeMond ? Biciclette Italiane! Nessun senso! Maybe Bianchi.

If SRAM builds a quality product then the Double Tap line should have an impact on Campy and Shimano's mid range components. I don't think Shimano or Campagnolo are scrambling but I think SRAM DT will make it's way to a few Monday morning Sales meetings.

We should know by this time next year.

Campy's, Shimy's and SRAMy's :rolleyes:

Lw

lwedge said:
I agree with you Ingle's. I wonder who will bite first for component contracts - Obea, Trek, Giant, LeMond ? Biciclette Italiane! Nessun senso! Maybe Bianchi.
I wager on Cannondale since they are currently a big customer and especially since they already extensively use SRAM's Truvativ branded parts on a number of their stock road bikes.

supergrill said:
I wager on Cannondale since they are currently a big customer and especially since they already extensively use SRAM's Truvativ branded parts on a number of their stock road bikes.

The Cannondale option looks pretty good then !

Elita and Giga Pipe components I would imagine ? SRAM already has a head start on a very good crank set.

Lw

Cannondale does not have a supply agreement with SRAM, they buy their stuff on a tender basis which is why each year the spec on similar models changes significantly.

I'm sure some of the Cannondale bikes will have it but as always the;

team replica = Campagnolo
models just below = Shimano
mid to entry level = mix mash of Truvativ, Shimano, CAmpagnolo and possibly SRAM.
we see on their MTB's.
Team replica = SRAM / MAgura / Mavic / Shimano
3000 & 2000 = Shimano XTR and XT
1000 = Shimano + some SRAM
<1000 = MIx mash of SRAM / Shimano / Magura / Hayes

They're in bed with everyone.

I think the SRAM road group won't be on factory bikes till 2008. The brand will first need to be established and proven in the conservative roadie market before any manufacturer will take the risk of fitting on an off the shelf bike.

I think Cervelo will be the first with a team replica bike for CSC...