SRAM road proto photos

On 2 Sep 2005 07:14:14 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Someone suggested it's done by nudging the brake lever forwards.

At the very end of the lever, there's a bit that looks very much like a
button reachable from the hoods, whose effect would indeed be to nudge the
lever forwards.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On 2 Sep 2005 07:14:14 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Someone suggested it's done by nudging the brake lever forwards.

> At the very end of the lever, there's a bit that looks very much like a
> button reachable from the hoods, whose effect would indeed be to nudge the
> lever forwards.
>
> Jasper

I think the whole front pivots for down shifts and the small lever is
used for up shifts....Why shimano is so interested...gentlemen, start
your lawyers!!!

On 3 Sep 2005 06:47:05 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jasper Janssen wrote:
>> On 2 Sep 2005 07:14:14 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >Someone suggested it's done by nudging the brake lever forwards.

>> At the very end of the lever, there's a bit that looks very much like a
>> button reachable from the hoods, whose effect would indeed be to nudge the
>> lever forwards.

>I think the whole front pivots for down shifts and the small lever is
>used for up shifts....Why shimano is so interested...gentlemen, start
>your lawyers!!!

Which small lever? Don't see any.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On 2 Sep 2005 07:14:14 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Someone suggested it's done by nudging the brake lever forwards.

> At the very end of the lever, there's a bit that looks very much like
> a button reachable from the hoods, whose effect would indeed be to
> nudge the lever forwards.
>
> Jasper

I don't see the button. What does it look like?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:45:32 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Jasper Janssen wrote:

>> At the very end of the lever, there's a bit that looks very much like
>> a button reachable from the hoods, whose effect would indeed be to
>> nudge the lever forwards.

>I don't see the button. What does it look like?

Well, what I mean is you have the carbon brake lever, and then it gets to
the clearly visible pivot, and then it goes on for another inch or so.
That bit. Looks to me like the only reason for it to be there is to be
able to move the brake lever in the direction opposite to braking, from
the hoods or the tops. I suppose it could just be that it's just needed
for the leverage points to attach the brake cable, but if I were Sram in
that case I'd encase it in rubber or plastic, rather than leaving it out
in the open.

Incidentally, it also looks like there's a gap between the rubber hoods
and the plastic bit that incorporates the lever pivot. I wouldn't be
surprised if that allows that whole mechanism to tilt sideways.

Jasper

they look a lot like low end shimano (tiagra and sora). they have the
big lever to upshift and a small lever like a campy brifter to
downshift. I would have guessed that they were made by shimano for
sram.

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> Which small lever? Don't see any.
>
> Jasper

they look a lot like low end shimano (tiagra and sora). they have the
big lever to upshift and a small lever like a campy brifter to
downshift. I would have guessed that they were made by shimano for
sram.

Andres

> Anybody have an idea of how these SRAM prototype levers downshift?
>
> http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/8800.0.html
> (Pics are at the bottom.)
>
> Someone suggested it's done by nudging the brake lever forwards.

i'd say you nudge the brake lever forward from the drops or squeeze the
brakelever top from the hoods to upshift. the sublever is Ergoest for
downshifting.