sram road shifter stuff

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Nate Knutson, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    Is it known whether the SRAM brifters are going to be fully indexed
    front?
    Is it known whether either or both derailers will use anyone's current
    cable throw standard?
    Is it known whether there are going to be bar-ends?

    Tags:

  2. damyth

    damyth Guest

    Nate Knutson wrote:
    > Is it known whether either or both derailers will use anyone's current
    > cable throw standard?

    Yup, SRAM's own, 1:1. In other words, not compatible with anyone's
    existing equipment.

  3. damyth <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Yup, SRAM's own, 1:1. In other words, not compatible with anyone's
    > existing equipment.

    .....except their own. Which is exactly what Campagnolo and Shimano
    are doing as well...

    --
    MfG/Best regards
    helmut springer

  4. Nate Knutson inquired:

    > Is it known whether the SRAM brifters are going to be fully indexed
    > front?

    Given the mechanism they're using, I don't see how they could make a
    non-indexed version.

    > Is it known whether either or both derailers will use anyone's current
    > cable throw standard?

    The rear does not. I don't know about the front.

    > Is it known whether there are going to be bar-ends?

    Not likely, at least at first.

    Sheldon "Educated Guesses" Brown
    | There are many humorous things in the world; |
    | among them the white man's notion that he is |
    | less savage than the other savages.--Mark Twain |
    Bikeforums 1/18/06 BOB 1/18/06 RBT 1/18/06
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  5. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > Nate Knutson inquired:
    >
    > > Is it known whether the SRAM brifters are going to be fully indexed
    > > front?

    > Given the mechanism they're using, I don't see how they could make a
    > non-indexed version.

    Well, presuming the left one is using a similar mechanism to the right
    one, they could just give it enough stops to be effectively
    semi-indexed. This is what I was wondering about.

  6. Nate Knutson asked:

    >>Is it known whether either or both derailers will use anyone's current
    >>cable throw standard?

    An anonymous poster replied:

    > Yup, SRAM's own, 1:1.

    Not according to SRAM Tech guy Ed Nasjleti...the SRAM "road" group uses
    a unique actuation ratio.

    Sheldon "That's What I Hear" Brown
    | The great tragedy of Science-the slaying of |
    | a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact. |
    | --T.H. Huxley |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  7. Nate Knutson inquired:

    >>>Is it known whether the SRAM brifters are going to be fully indexed
    >>>front?

    I replied:

    >>Given the mechanism they're using, I don't see how they could make a
    >>non-indexed version.

    Nate Knutson

    > Well, presuming the left one is using a similar mechanism to the right
    > one, they could just give it enough stops to be effectively
    > semi-indexed. This is what I was wondering about.

    No, that would not be acceptable, because if they did that, it would
    require multiple pumps to downshift.

    I don't believe customers would accept that, though it is theoretically
    possible to make it that way.

    Sheldon "Logic" Brown
    | The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects |
    | is that science requires reasoning while those other |
    | subjects merely require scholarship. |
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |