SRAM S7 - can't feel no ratio passing the 1st 3 gears, and it suddenly goes up passing to the 4th

Jerome Robert

Dec 13, 2010
Hello,

I've been reading S7 issues for 2 hours and couldn't find anything about my problem. Here it is my : I'm mounting a Bullitt bike (2 wheels cargo bike), which was delivered with a SRAM S7 hub (with coaster brake). I had no trouble mounting it except that the frame was made for a derailleur gear system? That meant (besides the chain tension problem) to pass the cable without the sheath and cut the sheath so it fits nicely in the spots on the frame. So I had to dismount the cable, and remount it in the click box. I thought I had remounted well, but who knows where that problem comes from :

I can change all the gears, but don't feel any difference between gear 1, 2 and 3. Only when I go to the 4th, it becomes a much biger ratio. Then it raises up till the 7th, and back down the same way. Since I never rode such a hub, I wouldn't know what's the normal behaviour, but it seems weird not having ratio between the 3 first gears.

Does anyone have an idea where that comes from?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jérôme; Belgium.

Evidently, others have had similar "issues" with this hub. Here's a link to some background on the subject: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=482347

It looks like if the world's greatest S7 guru doesn't reply to your query, you're back to square one. Are your cable housings (sheaths) properly stopped at both ends, and is the cable run between your last stop and the click box reasonably straight?