SRAM-Shimano Compatbility

kdelong

Dec 14, 2006
I searched the archived posts and couldn't find anything that answered my specific questions. In a trade I got a pair of Bontrager Wheels along with a SRAM 9-speed cassette and a SRAM chain. These items were supposed to have been ridden on once or twice and they look brand new. I want to use these to replace a Shimano 9-speed cassette and chain that I now have on my bike. How does SRAM stack up against Shimano? Does anyone foresee any problems using my Shimano 105 series derailers and Shimano front chainrings with the SRAM components? My current chain has less than 200 miles on it. Would it be better to use the SRAM chain with the SRAM cassette or can I still use my Shimano chain? I heard from a not-always-reliable source that all SRAM and Shimano components were interchangeable. Is this true?

kdelong said:
I searched the archived posts and couldn't find anything that answered my specific questions. In a trade I got a pair of Bontrager Wheels along with a SRAM 9-speed cassette and a SRAM chain. These items were supposed to have been ridden on once or twice and they look brand new. I want to use these to replace a Shimano 9-speed cassette and chain that I now have on my bike. How does SRAM stack up against Shimano? Does anyone foresee any problems using my Shimano 105 series derailers and Shimano front chainrings with the SRAM components? My current chain has less than 200 miles on it. Would it be better to use the SRAM chain with the SRAM cassette or can I still use my Shimano chain? I heard from a not-always-reliable source that all SRAM and Shimano components were interchangeable. Is this true?

You should be 100% compatible. However with any wheel change, you may need to adjust the rear derailleur slightly. SRAM 1:1 ratio shifters (all of their road and some of their MTB) are not compatible with Shimano Rear derailleurs and vice versa, but the cassettes are spaced identically and SRAM cassettes fit on all Shimano compatible wheels.

SRAM is comparable to Shimano in quality. I actually prefer SRAM chains to Shimano because of the quick connect link.

My Cadillac SLE 1.8 has Shimano 105 derailleurs with a SRAM cassette & I think it shifts great.

The only compatibility issue I've found is not really applicable here.

SRAM cassettes only fit the older Shimano 9sp splined freewheels. If you get a newer wheel that is Shimano 10sp only, like DA etc then the SRAM cassettes don't fit as the spline grooves aren't deep enough.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
The only compatibility issue I've found is not really applicable here.

SRAM cassettes only fit the older Shimano 9sp splined freewheels. If you get a newer wheel that is Shimano 10sp only, like DA etc then the SRAM cassettes don't fit as the spline grooves aren't deep enough.

--brett
That's still good info to have Brett, thanks. I am always looking to upgrade and this would save a lot of frustration if the situation ever came up.

Hey everyone,

I dug up this thread in hopes of clearing something up. I have the Red grouppo on the bike now, but for the winter months of indoor training, I want to use my old wheel with a Shimano 9-spd 11-25 cassettte on it. Would it work with the Red setup ?

Thanks,
-Greg

Originally Posted by gman0482 .

I have the Red grouppo on the bike now, but for the winter months of indoor training, I want to use my old wheel with a Shimano 9-spd 11-25 cassettte on it. Would it work with the Red setup ?
If you adjust the rear derailleur's STOPS you could even take your bike out on the road with the mismatched cassette BUT there will probably only be[COLOR= #ff0000] ¿[/COLOR]8[COLOR= #ff0000]?[/COLOR] cogs accessed by the indexing ...

• the RAMPED cogs will facilitate moving the chain between cogs ...
  • and, the space between the plates is sufficient to allow the chain to nest on the teeth..