sram-shimano shifter compatability question

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chris Crawford, May 20, 2003.

  1. Hi all - I was looking at some SRAM shifters on ebay. They are described as "SRAM 7.0 half-pipe
    shifters for 27 speed bike". Can anyone tell me if this model is compatabile with shimano standard 9
    sp indexed shifting. I know some SRAM shifters only work with SRAM RDs. Thanks in advance.

    Regards Chris

    Tags:

  2. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Chris Crawford wrote:
    > Hi all - I was looking at some SRAM shifters on ebay. They are described as "SRAM 7.0 half-pipe
    > shifters for 27 speed bike". Can anyone tell me if this model is compatabile with shimano standard
    > 9 sp indexed shifting. I know some SRAM shifters only work with SRAM RDs. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards Chris

    I think the rule of thumb is that x.0 numbered stuff is only compatible with SRAM. That would make
    7.0 NOT Shimano-compatible.

  3. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    that's correct John, the SRAM "attack" etc. not the # SRAM stuff are the ones that work
    with Shimano.

    John Foltz wrote:
    > Chris Crawford wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all - I was looking at some SRAM shifters on ebay. They are described as "SRAM 7.0 half-pipe
    >> shifters for 27 speed bike". Can anyone tell me if this model is compatabile with shimano
    >> standard 9 sp indexed shifting. I know some SRAM shifters only work with SRAM RDs. Thanks in
    >> advance.
    >>
    >> Regards Chris
    >>

    > I think the rule of thumb is that x.0 numbered stuff is only compatible with SRAM. That would make
    > 7.0 NOT Shimano-compatible.

  4. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Chris Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all - I was looking at some SRAM shifters on ebay. They are described as "SRAM 7.0 half-pipe
    > shifters for 27 speed bike".

    Those are *not* Shimano compatible. However, do a search on BestBikeBuys.com or QBike.com, and
    you'll find several different types of 7-, 8- and 9-speed Sachs and SRAM twist shifters on blowout
    sale for VERY low prices. (Under $15/pr) I shouldn't have told you...now I have to zoom over and
    order a few sets before the rush! :)

    Barry

  5. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    The difference is in the actuation ratio, or some such thing.

    Basically, the SRAM shifters let out 1 unit of cable for each 1 unit taken up by the derailleur. The
    shimano derailleurs use half as much cable per shift index, so the regular SRAM stuff won't work.
    That's why they make the compatible ones that have the 2:1 ratio, they let out twice as much cable.

    Or it could be half as much. Either way, SRAM, 1:1, Shimano 1:2, or
    2:1...

  6. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined: