sram-shimano shifter compatability question

Chris Crawford

Guest
Hi all - I was looking at some SRAM shifters on ebay. They are described as "SRAM 7.0 half-pipe
shifters for 27 speed bike". Can anyone tell me if this model is compatabile with shimano standard 9
sp indexed shifting. I know some SRAM shifters only work with SRAM RDs. Thanks in advance.

Regards Chris

Chris Crawford wrote:
> Hi all - I was looking at some SRAM shifters on ebay. They are described as "SRAM 7.0 half-pipe
> shifters for 27 speed bike". Can anyone tell me if this model is compatabile with shimano standard
> 9 sp indexed shifting. I know some SRAM shifters only work with SRAM RDs. Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards Chris

I think the rule of thumb is that x.0 numbered stuff is only compatible with SRAM. That would make
7.0 NOT Shimano-compatible.

that's correct John, the SRAM "attack" etc. not the # SRAM stuff are the ones that work
with Shimano.

"Chris Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all - I was looking at some SRAM shifters on ebay. They are described as "SRAM 7.0 half-pipe
> shifters for 27 speed bike".

Those are *not* Shimano compatible. However, do a search on BestBikeBuys.com or QBike.com, and
you'll find several different types of 7-, 8- and 9-speed Sachs and SRAM twist shifters on blowout
sale for VERY low prices. (Under $15/pr) I shouldn't have told you...now I have to zoom over and
order a few sets before the rush! :)

Barry

The difference is in the actuation ratio, or some such thing.

Basically, the SRAM shifters let out 1 unit of cable for each 1 unit taken up by the derailleur. The
shimano derailleurs use half as much cable per shift index, so the regular SRAM stuff won't work.
That's why they make the compatible ones that have the 2:1 ratio, they let out twice as much cable.

Or it could be half as much. Either way, SRAM, 1:1, Shimano 1:2, or
2:1...

Originally posted by Chris Crawford
Hi all - I was looking at some SRAM shifters on ebay. They are described as "SRAM 7.0 half-pipe shifters for 27 speed bike". Can anyone tell me if this model is compatabile with shimano standard 9 sp indexed shifting. I know some SRAM shifters only work with SRAM RDs. Thanks in advance.

The number ones truly do not work with anything else but SRAM. But they do have a number of good compatible shifters. Take a look: http://www.sram.com/product/shifters/index.asp

Derek