Sram snap link compatibility issue with shimano alfine tensioner?

tasd

Jul 23, 2010
Hey guys

Just put a alfine tensioner and sram chain with a quick link (the one with both pegs on the same piece and you clip the gold piece onto it) After fighting getting the chain on, I test. The dang quick link gets caught up in the tensioner!!! :mad:

The problem is in the transition between the guide and tension pulley. Are these just not compatible components or is there something I can do?

edit: I guess I could elaborate a little more. Its seems like the pins of the quick link, being just a bit longer,could be the cause. it may also be the link being slightly stiff, but I cant tell

In theory, any quick link that's meant for derailers should work fine with a tensioner as well. If your experiences contradicts ths theory then you'll simpy have to try another version.

Are you sure that the link you're using is the right width for the chain?

tasd said:
Hey guys

Just put a alfine tensioner and sram chain with a quick link (the one with both pegs on the same piece and you clip the gold piece onto it) After fighting getting the chain on, I test. The dang quick link gets caught up in the tensioner!!! :mad:

The problem is in the transition between the guide and tension pulley. Are these just not compatible components or is there something I can do?

edit: I guess I could elaborate a little more. Its seems like the pins of the quick link, being just a bit longer,could be the cause. it may also be the link being slightly stiff, but I cant tell

That's a 1/8 inch chain with that type of link, not a 3/32 chain. Get a 3/32 if you have 3/32 ring and cog which is what you have probably if it's a single speed not a fixie.

tasd said:
Hey guys

If the chain is as tight as you are making it sound, then it suggests that you may not have needed the chain tensioner ...

BTW. Some, if not all, 'quick links' have an UP side and a DOWN side -- you want to be sure that the 'bow' echoes the curve of the chainrings & cogs.

Sorry for the late reply

It turned out to be a problem with the tensioner itself. The guide pulley was not sitting flush, and had a little play to it. I was able to refit it and all seems to be working smoothly now. Thanks for the replies!