SRAM Spectro S7 hub/drum brake question.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Phil, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Has anyone out there ever removed the drum brake from a SRAM Spectro S7 hub?

    I have a wheel built around a Shimano Nexus hub with the roller brake left off to save weight. I was
    wondering if a similar weight saving procedure is possible for the SRAM S7?

    I know that the SRAM hub comes in a no-brake version, but that one is housed in steel and it weighs
    as much as the aluminum shell/drum brake version.

    -Phil

    Tags:

  2. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    [email protected] (Phil) wrote:

    > Has anyone out there ever removed the drum brake from a SRAM Spectro S7 hub?
    >
    > I have a wheel built around a Shimano Nexus hub with the roller brake left off to save weight. I
    > was wondering if a similar weight saving procedure is possible for the SRAM S7?

    You _could_ remove the plate containing the brake assembly, leaving a gaping cavity on that side
    of the hub. The steel brake drum liner would be subject to corrosion, though, unless it were
    painted. You would need to add a suitable axle washer (to fit the oddball 10.5mm axle) in place of
    the brake plate.

    I am sure you can get a rim brake that is lighter than the brake assembly on the Spectro 7 hub, but
    is the small amount of weight saving worth it? The drum brake has the benefits of clean, consistent
    all-weather braking and no rubbing the rim, ever. Usually it allows the use of fatter tires than
    would otherwise be possible. It tidies up the appearance of the bike to boot.

    Let's face it, if trading off those virtues in return for that amount of weight saving is acceptable
    to you, then you're probably not a gearhub kind of rider.

    --not that there's necessarily anything *wrong* with that! ;^)

    Chalo Colina epicyclic epicure

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    > I am sure you can get a rim brake that is lighter than the brake assembly on the Spectro 7 hub,
    > but is the small amount of weight saving worth it?

    No, it's probably not worth it. It was just exciting leave the roller brake off of the Nexus hub and
    save all that weight. Actually, I'll be happy to get rid the rear U-brake that came stock on my
    Schwinn Panther. Man, that thing is finicky!

  4. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    [email protected] (Phil) wrote:

    > No, it's probably not worth it. It was just exciting leave the roller brake off of the Nexus hub
    > and save all that weight.

    I believe you'll be much happier with the Sachs hub overall.

    > Actually, I'll be happy to get rid the rear U-brake that came stock on my Schwinn Panther. Man,
    > that thing is finicky!

    In the process, you may buy enough tire clearance to run the Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.35 slick-- a
    fun tire if there ever was one. All black except for a roughly 1/4" wide reflective sidewall stripe.

    http://www.schwalbetires.com/on_tour.php?Nickname=BIG%20APPLE&Image=TireImages/big_apple.gif#

    Chalo Colina

  5. Phil

    Phil Guest

    > In the process, you may buy enough tire clearance to run the Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.35
    > slick-- a fun tire if there ever was one. All black except for a roughly 1/4" wide reflective
    > sidewall stripe.

    Very intriguing... Right now I'm using Ritchey Mobybite slicks. They're really fast and fun, except
    on the morning commute. If the road is wet, forget it.

    > http://www.schwalbetires.com/on_tour.php?Nickname=BIG%20APPLE&Image=TireImages/big_apple.gif#
    >
    > Chalo Colina

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > In the process, you may buy enough tire clearance to run the Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.35 slick--
    > > a fun tire if there ever was one. All black except for a roughly 1/4" wide reflective sidewall
    > > stripe.
    >
    > Very intriguing... Right now I'm using Ritchey Mobybite slicks. They're really fast and fun,
    > except on the morning commute. If the road is wet, forget it.

    http://www.schwalbetires.com/on_tour.php?Nickname=BIG%20APPLE&Image=TireImag es/big_apple.gif#

    Are you suggesting that slick tires don't perform well on wet roads?

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]