SRAM Trigger Shifters

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by ..::Tbf::.., Apr 9, 2003.

  1. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    Tags:

  2. > didn't they try to do this before and it flopped?

    The previous version never made production and defiantly never made it to your local bike shop ,
    those that did manage to get hold of one liked them big time

    These ones are a lot smaller than the previous versions and are promised for June(ish) time

    Cheers

    Chris

    http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

    > > didn't they try to do this before and it flopped?
    >
    > The previous version never made production and defiantly never made it to your local bike shop ,
    > those that did manage to get hold of one liked them big time
    >
    > These ones are a lot smaller than the previous versions and are promised for June(ish) time
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Chris

    Actually I have 9.0 triggers in stock, they work fine but they are much bulkier than Shimano and
    those X-7 shifters which was the main complaint. The Gemini version of the shifter which was Shimano
    compatible just broke alot.

    --
    _________________________

  4. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    | > > didn't they try to do this before and it flopped?
    | >
    | > The previous version never made production and defiantly never made it
    | > your local bike shop , those that did manage to get hold of one liked
    them
    | > big time
    | >
    | > These ones are a lot smaller than the previous versions and are promised
    for
    | > June(ish) time
    | >
    | > Cheers
    | >
    | > Chris
    | >

    | Actually I have 9.0 triggers in stock, they work fine but they are much bulkier than Shimano and
    | those X-7 shifters which was the main complaint. The Gemini version of the shifter which was
    | Shimano compatible just broke alot.

    <turns around and pats one of three sets of XT Thumbshifters>

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/8/2003

  5. Patrick W.

    Patrick W. Guest

  6. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Patrick W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=955
    | >
    | > didn't they try to do this before and it flopped?
    | >
    | > Sounds like they are giving it another go along wih a new rear mech.
    | >

    | Oh no, I hope they don't drop gripshifters now. I'm a die-hard grippy man.

    Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/8/2003

  7. John G

    John G Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:
    > <turns around and pats one of three sets of XT Thumbshifters>

    Did you get that 7/8 hub in the mail yet?

  8. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    | Nelson Binch wrote:
    | > <turns around and pats one of three sets of XT Thumbshifters>
    |
    | Did you get that 7/8 hub in the mail yet?

    Not yet

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/8/2003

  9. Patrick says:

    >Oh no, I hope they don't drop gripshifters now. I'm a die-hard grippy man.

    Me too! Been using twisty changers since 1971 (Sturmey-Archer to start) except for a brief operiod
    with thumbies. I'll take either one over the trigger system at this point, but have yet (big
    admission) to actually try a trigger set-up. Who knows, maybe I'll love 'em .....

    Steve

  10. John G

    John G Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:
    > John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > |

    > | Nelson Binch wrote:
    > | > <turns around and pats one of three sets of XT Thumbshifters>
    > |
    > | Did you get that 7/8 hub in the mail yet?
    > |
    > Not yet

    BOTLO for it!

  11. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    | Nelson Binch wrote:
    | > John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Did you get that 7/8 hub in the mail yet?
    | > |
    | > Not yet
    |
    | BOTLO for it!

    Kewl - I'll turn my Big Sur into an 8 using the legendary "Phantom Click" of the Deore DX
    shifters on it :)

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/8/2003

  12. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | |
    | |
    | | Nelson Binch wrote:
    | | > John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > Not yet
    | |
    | | BOTLO for it!
    | |

    | Kewl - I'll turn my Big Sur into an 8 using the legendary "Phantom Click"
    of
    | the Deore DX shifters on it :)

    Got it! Tinkering shall now commence!

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/8/2003

  13. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    --
    http://members.rogers.com/theblackfoxx/ "Patrick W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=955
    > >
    > > didn't they try to do this before and it flopped?
    > >
    > > Sounds like they are giving it another go along wih a new rear mech.
    > >

    > Oh no, I hope they don't drop gripshifters now. I'm a die-hard grippy man.

    I like them too mate, but it's way too easy to grab a shift when your on a rough trail and have to
    shift your weight and hands around

  14. John G

    John G Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:

    > Got it! Tinkering shall now commence!

    toldyaso!

  15. "Patrick W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=955
    > >
    > > didn't they try to do this before and it flopped?
    > >
    > > Sounds like they are giving it another go along wih a new rear mech.
    > >

    > Oh no, I hope they don't drop gripshifters now. I'm a die-hard grippy man.

    Yep, same here, bought about 5 sets when no-one wanted them about 4 years ago. I always cut them
    down to about an inch of barrel, so they're out of the way, and they have always worked just great.
    Unfortunately the plastic ahh ahh has a habit of splitting and I'm down to my last 2 sets (on two
    bikes). The new ones look a bit too fancy...

    Steve E.

  16. spademan o---[) * wrote:

    >"Patrick W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>"..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:6pQk[email protected]...
    >>

    >>>http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=955
    >>>
    >>>didn't they try to do this before and it flopped?
    >>>
    >>>Sounds like they are giving it another go along wih a new rear mech.
    >>>

    >>Oh no, I hope they don't drop gripshifters now. I'm a die-hard grippy man.
    >>

    > Yep, same here, bought about 5 sets when no-one wanted them about 4 years ago. I always cut them
    > down to about an inch of barrel, so they're out of the way, and they have always worked just
    > great. Unfortunately the plastic ahh ahh has a habit of splitting and I'm down to my last 2 sets
    > (on two bikes). The new ones look a bit too fancy...
    >
    >Steve E.

    Give the new ones a shot. I find that the SRS system works quite nicely, and has held up very well.

    I don't quite buy into the XO thing, 9.0 i swhat I'm talking about.

  17. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > spademan o---[) * wrote:
    >
    > >"Patrick W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]wssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
    > >

    > >>"..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>news:[email protected]...

    > >>Oh no, I hope they don't drop gripshifters now. I'm a die-hard grippy man.
    > >>

    > > Yep, same here, bought about 5 sets when no-one wanted them about 4 years ago. I always cut them
    > > down to about an inch of barrel, so they're out of the way, and they have always worked just
    > > great. Unfortunately the plastic ahh ahh has a habit of splitting and I'm down to my last 2 sets
    > > (on two bikes). The new ones look a bit too fancy...
    > >
    > >Steve E.
    > >

    > Give the new ones a shot. I find that the SRS system works quite nicely, and has held up
    > very well.
    >
    > I don't quite buy into the XO thing, 9.0 i swhat I'm talking about.

    SRAM made crap until they bought Sachs and the best shifters ever, the Sachs Powergrip Extreme. Now
    all SRAM twist shifters are derived from that shifter, pushing the cable through the housing rather
    than relying on Shimano's wimpy-ass spring to pull it through and coming up with a Bass-Worm
    band-aid solution to fix it.

    P.S. No one should replace a rear derailleur cable without installing one or two SRAM Nighcrawlers.
    ESPECIALLY if using a Shimano derailleur with that friction inducing housing loop.
    --
    _________________________

  18. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > SRAM made crap until they bought Sachs and the best shifters ever, the Sachs Powergrip Extreme.
    > Now all SRAM twist shifters are derived from that shifter, pushing the cable through the housing
    > rather than relying on Shimano's wimpy-ass spring to pull it through and coming up with a
    > Bass-Worm band-aid solution to fix it.
    >
    > P.S. No one should replace a rear derailleur cable without installing one or two SRAM
    > Nighcrawlers. ESPECIALLY if using a Shimano derailleur with that friction inducing housing
    > loop.

    Where/how does that thing fit?

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe

  19. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > SRAM made crap until they bought Sachs and the best shifters ever, the Sachs Powergrip Extreme.
    > > Now all SRAM twist shifters are derived from that shifter, pushing the cable through the housing
    > > rather than relying on Shimano's wimpy-ass spring to pull it through and coming up with a
    > > Bass-Worm band-aid solution to fix it.
    > >
    > > P.S. No one should replace a rear derailleur cable without installing one or two SRAM
    > > Nighcrawlers. ESPECIALLY if using a Shimano derailleur with that friction inducing housing
    > > loop.
    >
    > Where/how does that thing fit?
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    It goes on your cable stop(s) to seal the point where the cable enters the housing.
    --

  20. John G

    John G Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:
    > P.S. No one should replace a rear derailleur cable without installing one or two SRAM
    > Nighcrawlers.

    And an Avid Rollamajig!

    > ESPECIALLY if using a Shimano derailleur with that friction inducing housing loop.

    Precisely!