SRAM Trigger Shifters

Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > > SRAM made **** until they bought Sachs and the best shifters ever, the Sachs Powergrip
> > > Extreme. Now all SRAM twist shifters are derived from that shifter, pushing the cable through
> > > the housing rather than
relying
> > > on Shimano's wimpy-ass spring to pull it through and coming up with a Bass-Worm band-aid
> > > solution to fix it.
> > >
> > > P.S. No one should replace a rear derailleur cable without installing one or two SRAM
> > > Nighcrawlers. ESPECIALLY if using a Shimano
derailleur
> > > with that friction inducing housing loop.
> >
> > Where/how does that thing fit?
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >

> It goes on your cable stop(s) to seal the point where the cable enters the housing.

Cheers! Might try and find some. Couldn't really see from the (googled) photo what it did, or how
it fitted.

Shaun aRe

> > > Shaun aRe
> > >

> > It goes on your cable stop(s) to seal the point where the cable enters the housing.
>
> Cheers! Might try and find some. Couldn't really see from the (googled) photo what it did, or how
> it fitted.
>

> Shaun aRe

The acordian part moves with the cable so you don't have any added friction like you do with o-ring
sealed housing caps from Shimano. Plus they really do feel like night crawlers when they have chain
lube on them and you drop them down someone's shirt.
--
_________________________

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

| Chris Phillipo wrote:
| > P.S. No one should replace a rear derailleur cable without installing one or two SRAM
| > Nighcrawlers.
|
| And an Avid Rollamajig!
|

| > ESPECIALLY if using a Shimano derailleur with that friction inducing housing loop.
|
| Precisely!

The downfall of the Rollamajig is Gore Ride-On cables. My mountain bike (well, and the Big-Sur - but
as a runabout it doesn't count) has those wonderful cables and if you want to preserve the integrity
of the seal, a Rollamajig just won't work.

Also, in most cases, under the BB routed cables (such as on my Specialized) don't benefit quite as
much from the jig.

Then again, with G R-O cables, you don't need the nightcrawler.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/8/2003

> The downfall of the Rollamajig is Gore Ride-On cables. My mountain bike (well, and the Big-Sur -
> but as a runabout it doesn't count) has those wonderful cables and if you want to preserve the
> integrity of the seal, a Rollamajig just won't work.
>
> Also, in most cases, under the BB routed cables (such as on my Specialized) don't benefit quite as
> much from the jig.
>
> Then again, with G R-O cables, you don't need the nightcrawler.

Then again with SRAM ESP derailleurs you don't need a rollamajig :)
--
_________________________

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| > |

| > The downfall of the Rollamajig is Gore Ride-On cables. My mountain
bike
| > (well, and the Big-Sur - but as a runabout it doesn't count) has those wonderful cables and if
| > you want to preserve the integrity of the seal,
| > Rollamajig just won't work.
| >
| > Also, in most cases, under the BB routed cables (such as on my
Specialized)
| > don't benefit quite as much from the jig.
| >
| > Then again, with G R-O cables, you don't need the nightcrawler.
|
| Then again with SRAM ESP derailleurs you don't need a rollamajig :)

True, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool XT nut.

ESPs are fine except for one thing - the lack of a barrel adjuster. I prefer to have an adjuster
both on the shifter and on the rear mech.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/8/2003

Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > It goes on your cable stop(s) to seal the point where the cable enters the housing.
> >
> > Cheers! Might try and find some. Couldn't really see from the (googled) photo what it did, or
> > how it fitted.
> >

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> The acordian part moves with the cable so you don't have any added friction like you do with
> o-ring sealed housing caps from Shimano. Plus they really do feel like night crawlers when they
> have chain lube on them and you drop them down someone's shirt.

Figured what the accordion bit did - thought about using one of the similar things off a V-brake for
the same job, but it woulda been too hard to make it seal.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe - not down my shirt!

Nelson Binch wrote:

>"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>|
>| > |

>| > The downfall of the Rollamajig is Gore Ride-On cables. My mountain
>bike
>| > (well, and the Big-Sur - but as a runabout it doesn't count) has those wonderful cables and if
>| > you want to preserve the integrity of the seal,
>| > Rollamajig just won't work.
>| >
>| > Also, in most cases, under the BB routed cables (such as on my
>Specialized)
>| > don't benefit quite as much from the jig.
>| >
>| > Then again, with G R-O cables, you don't need the nightcrawler.
>|
>| Then again with SRAM ESP derailleurs you don't need a rollamajig :)
>
>True, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool XT nut.
>
>ESPs are fine except for one thing - the lack of a barrel adjuster. I prefer to have an adjuster
>both on the shifter and on the rear mech.

Do you burn candles at both ends too?

;*)

> | > Also, in most cases, under the BB routed cables (such as on my
> Specialized)
> | > don't benefit quite as much from the jig.
> | >
> | > Then again, with G R-O cables, you don't need the nightcrawler.
> |
> | Then again with SRAM ESP derailleurs you don't need a rollamajig :)
>
> True, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool XT nut.
>
> ESPs are fine except for one thing - the lack of a barrel adjuster. I prefer to have an adjuster
> both on the shifter and on the rear mech.

You'd need that with a Shimano system :)
--
_________________________

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| > Specialized)

| > |
| > | Then again with SRAM ESP derailleurs you don't need a rollamajig :)
| >
| > True, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool XT nut.
| >
| > ESPs are fine except for one thing - the lack of a barrel adjuster. I prefer to have an adjuster
| > both on the shifter and on the rear mech.
| >

| You'd need that with a Shimano system :)

Hahaha.

Seriously, I've never had to do too much adjusting to my stuff (classic XT holds its settings very
well) It's just that I like to be able to make small corrections while riding, but I don't like
reaching for an adjuster on the handlebars when I'm working on a bike in a stand.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/8/2003

> | You'd need that with a Shimano system :)
>
> Hahaha.
>
> Seriously, I've never had to do too much adjusting to my stuff (classic XT holds its settings very
> well) It's just that I like to be able to make small corrections while riding, but I don't like
> reaching for an adjuster on the handlebars when I'm working on a bike in a stand.
>

> ---
> __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
> http://intergalax.com

> - Release Date: 4/8/2003

I suppose, but seriously the shimano system might be more sensitive to changes on the adjuster since
it's a 2:1 ratio between cable movement and derailleur movement where as ESP uses 1:1. They both get
out of whack at times anyway.
--