Sram Vs. Shimano

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I've been looking at few bikes that Sram components, i have no familiarity with them as i have Shimano 105 components. My question is how do the Sram parts compare, are there big differences? What is the ranking of Sram parts? Is Red what compares with Dura Ace? Thanks.

Google: shimano sram campagnolo comparison chart

There's a million opinions on the web and that will get you 7/8ths of them.

Personally, I would rate SRAM Force/Red and shimaNO Dura Ace just about even in everything except the front derailleur/shifting area. Which shift system do you prefer probably matters more though.

Got the money to play? You really should check out Campy Chorus and Record if you are considering Red and DA groups.

Reactions: steve
Generally, the SRAM models are less expensive and lighter than their Shimano counterparts. Generally, SRAM derailleurs require a somewhat fussier tuning than their Shimano counterparts, hence the reported shortcomings of SRAM front derailleurs. There were also some false starts with titanium cage on the Red front derailleur and road hydraulic disk brakes. SRAM has since gone back to steel cages, the road hydros were recalled, and all hydro disc brakes have been re-engineered.

That said, I've been happily using Force 10-speed for a little over two years. I do get rare chain drops, but no more than I experienced with Dura-Ace 7800. On the positive side of that, I can't remember when a SRAM chain drop forced me to get off the bike--I've always been able to pop it back on to a ring using the shifter. If I were to buy another bike, SRAM 11-speed would be my first choice drivetrain.

That said, take Bob's advice and look at Campagnolo, too.

oldbobcat said:
If I were to buy another bike, SRAM 11-speed would be my first choice drivetrain.
Nicely summed up, thats how I feel these days. I used to be very anti SRAM, but now, I wouldn't ride anything else if I had the choice.

I've used pretty much both so I'm not necessarily sure that I can actually some of which one is better but I do appreciate both of them for the qualities that they do it really just depends on what kind of writing you're trying to get into.

You should test ride each group to see which one you like the best. I test rode Sram, Shimano, and Campy and didn't like the Sram because it's not as intuitive in function like the others because the others are more like the function of the old friction shifting which I'm use to, whereas Sram uses a double tap system which goes against the way l learned to operate shift levers. But as you can tell that is my personal thing, for others who have not been raised up on the older stuff may not have any issues with the double tap system that Sram uses, I just wasn't comfortable with it.

My vote goes to Shimano because of the huge variety of their bike equipment products. They have a product line for almost all the price ranges, thus offering a great value for money. I have been using Shimano for years now, and they have been very reliable with almost no maintenance problems. The quality is just superb.