SRAM X.0 Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ride-A-Lot, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
    Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the
    back. With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without
    it sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable
    supposed to not loop? It seems to shift fine.


    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
    Tags:


  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:06:03 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
    > Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the
    > back. With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without
    > it sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable
    > supposed to not loop? It seems to shift fine.
    >
    >

    No loop needed since SRAM's are at the correct angle to begin with, at
    least the ones I've seen. Why Shimano can't/won't figure this simple thing
    out is beyond me!

    --
    Slacker
     
  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    >No loop needed since SRAM's are at the correct angle to begin with, at
    >least the ones I've seen. Why Shimano can't/won't figure this simple thing
    >out is beyond me!
    >Slacker


    Perhaps they have a lot of old stock parts already fabricated.
     
  4. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
    > Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the back.
    > With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without it
    > sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable supposed
    > to not loop? It seems to shift fine.
    >
    >
    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws


    So what do you think of the derailure? Is it rapid rise?
     
  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different
    >> than Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and
    >> through the back. With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make
    >> a loop without it sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So,
    >> is the cable supposed to not loop? It seems to shift fine.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    >> www.schnauzers.ws

    >
    > So what do you think of the derailure? Is it rapid rise?


    All Sram derailleurs are high normal, not "rapid-rise" or low normal.

    And yes the shifter housing runs straight to them with no "loop". You can
    use an Avid Rollamagig to get this with Shimano.

    I've seen too many X.0 derailleurs self destruct however. The pully cage
    separates from the knuckle easily.

    Mike
     
  6. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
    >>Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the back.
    >>With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without it
    >>sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable supposed
    >>to not loop? It seems to shift fine.
    >>
    >>
    >>--
    >>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    >>www.schnauzers.ws

    >
    >
    > So what do you think of the derailure? Is it rapid rise?
    >
    >


    Well, still not done with the build. Testing it though it seems to be
    more on the mark than XTR. I still have to get used to the one finger
    push-push x.9 shifters. I don't know if it is rapid rise because I do
    not think they make different versions other than cage length. It seems
    more responsive and lighter than XTR. I also like the "no loop" cable.
    I always screwed up the length of that in the past.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I've seen too many X.0 derailleurs self destruct however. The pully cage
    > separates from the knuckle easily.
    >
    > Mike


    What do you recommend for a good DH rear derailer? My friends seem to going
    with road bike derailers (Slacker even mentioned that in the past too).
     
  8. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I also like the "no loop" cable. I always screwed up the length of that
    > in the past.


    True dat! Only on my last 2 builds did I get the right length the first
    time.
     
  9. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I had a Shimano 105 (road) short cage on my Tazer, when I did that sort of
    > thing.Interesting.


    How did you like it and by "that sort of thing" I take that you mean you
    were riding 4x races?
     
  10. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've seen too many X.0 derailleurs self destruct however. The pully cage
    >>separates from the knuckle easily.
    >>
    >>Mike

    >
    >
    > What do you recommend for a good DH rear derailer? My friends seem to going
    > with road bike derailers (Slacker even mentioned that in the past too).
    >
    >


    I had a Shimano 105 (road) short cage on my Tazer, when I did that sort
    of thing.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
  11. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>I had a Shimano 105 (road) short cage on my Tazer, when I did that sort of
    >>thing.Interesting.

    >
    >
    > How did you like it and by "that sort of thing" I take that you mean you
    > were riding 4x races?
    >
    >


    Never had a problem with it. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

    That sort of thing = Lift ticket up, scared as crap coming down. 195#,
    5'5", and no gear aside from a regular helmet. She was a very pretty
    ride, may she bless the current owner with hours of non pedaling fun.

    I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for the
    coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
  12. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > That sort of thing = Lift ticket up, scared as crap coming down. 195#,
    > 5'5", and no gear aside from a regular helmet. She was a very pretty
    > ride, may she bless the current owner with hours of non pedaling fun.


    Oh I totally understand! The first real DH run (Ball n'jack mostly) I was
    on (I thought it was an xc trail) was at Snowshoe. All I had on was an open
    face helmet! Well after the shuttle back up I broke out the body armor,
    full face helmet and DH bike. I am thanksful to have survives a 20 minute
    DH with no pedaling!

    > I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for the
    > coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.


    I race DH but it is just for fun. I am not serious at all and I don't mind
    losing. To me it all about having fun with my son.
     
  13. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>That sort of thing = Lift ticket up, scared as crap coming down. 195#,
    >>5'5", and no gear aside from a regular helmet. She was a very pretty
    >>ride, may she bless the current owner with hours of non pedaling fun.

    >
    >
    > Oh I totally understand! The first real DH run (Ball n'jack mostly) I was
    > on (I thought it was an xc trail) was at Snowshoe. All I had on was an open
    > face helmet! Well after the shuttle back up I broke out the body armor,
    > full face helmet and DH bike. I am thanksful to have survives a 20 minute
    > DH with no pedaling!
    >
    >
    >>I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for the
    >>coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.

    >
    >
    > I race DH but it is just for fun. I am not serious at all and I don't mind
    > losing. To me it all about having fun with my son.
    >
    >


    My little one still has training wheels (5, but he'll be into riding)
    and the big one (11) will not go near a bicycle. Funny, huh? I even
    bought him a nice Specialized Rockhopper so he'd have a bike like Dad.
    Nope. Won't even touch the damn thing. But they love watching my videos.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
  14. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    >> "Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
    >>

    > I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for the
    > coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.
    >



    Bwhahahahaha... Beginner... you *Sandbagger*!!!

    --
    Slacker
     
  15. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    >>> "Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
    >>>

    >> I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for
    >> the coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Bwhahahahaha... Beginner... you *Sandbagger*!!!
    >


    Well, if I have never raced before should I jump to the next level? How
    do you determine what category to compete in? Isn't the next one up Sport?

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
  16. justen

    justen Guest

  17. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    justen wrote:
    > Scott wrote:
    >
    >> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I also like the "no loop" cable. I always screwed up the length of
    >>> that in the past.

    >>
    >> True dat! Only on my last 2 builds did I get the right length the
    >> first time.

    >
    >
    > Same here. Here are pics of fixed version.
    > http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/HPIM0111small.jpg
    > http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/HPIM0112small.jpg
    >
    > Justen


    Yup, that's what mine looks like now only I left a little more cable
    housing just in case.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot (never quite sure) o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws
     
  18. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:32:02 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Slacker wrote:
    >>>> "Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for
    >>> the coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.
    >>>

    >> Bwhahahahaha... Beginner... you *Sandbagger*!!!
    >>

    >
    > Well, if I have never raced before should I jump to the next level? How
    > do you determine what category to compete in? Isn't the next one up
    > Sport?
    >


    I've thought of this before too, just in case I wanted to enter a race,
    which I really don't.

    But anyway, the categories are for riding capabilities, not necessarily
    race experience. You ride enough and with enough people that you should
    have some idea of where you fit in. If I had to guess, I would think Sport
    would be a good start. If you're easily smok'n a vast majority of the
    field there, then maybe it's time for Expert.

    --
    Slacker
     
  19. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:32:02 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Slacker wrote:
    >>>>> "Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
    >>>>>
    >>>> I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for
    >>>> the coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.
    >>>>
    >>> Bwhahahahaha... Beginner... you *Sandbagger*!!!
    >>>

    >>
    >> Well, if I have never raced before should I jump to the next level? How
    >> do you determine what category to compete in? Isn't the next
    >> one up Sport?
    >>

    >
    > I've thought of this before too, just in case I wanted to enter a
    > race, which I really don't.
    >
    > But anyway, the categories are for riding capabilities, not
    > necessarily race experience. You ride enough and with enough people
    > that you should have some idea of where you fit in. If I had to
    > guess, I would think Sport would be a good start. If you're easily
    > smok'n a vast majority of the field there, then maybe it's time for
    > Expert.


    Wrong. Start the first ever race as a beginner so you're not getting in the
    way. Learn from the experience. If, and only if, you win then move up.
    There's more to riding capabilities in a race, like race experience.

    Gary (let the faster rider through...unless he's in your group!) <(;-}
     
  20. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:56:31 -0700, GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Slacker wrote:


    >> I've thought of this before too, just in case I wanted to enter a
    >> race, which I really don't.
    >>
    >> But anyway, the categories are for riding capabilities, not
    >> necessarily race experience. You ride enough and with enough people
    >> that you should have some idea of where you fit in. If I had to
    >> guess, I would think Sport would be a good start. If you're easily
    >> smok'n a vast majority of the field there, then maybe it's time for
    >> Expert.

    >
    > Wrong. Start the first ever race as a beginner so you're not getting in
    > the
    > way. Learn from the experience. If, and only if, you win then move up.
    > There's more to riding capabilities in a race, like race experience.
    >
    > Gary (let the faster rider through...unless he's in your group!) <(;-}
    >
    >

    Ahhh, I agree with you. I forgot, you freaks race against each other (at
    the same time), unlike in DH.

    Hey Mitch, nm... I withdraw my Sandbagger comment till after the 2nd or
    3rd race :p
    --
    Slacker
     
Loading...
Loading...