SRAM X.0 Question

Ride-A-Lot

Guest
First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the
back. With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without
it sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable
supposed to not loop? It seems to shift fine.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:06:03 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
<[email protected]> wrote:

> First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
> Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the
> back. With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without
> it sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable
> supposed to not loop? It seems to shift fine.

No loop needed since SRAM's are at the correct angle to begin with, at
least the ones I've seen. Why Shimano can't/won't figure this simple thing
out is beyond me!

--
Slacker

>No loop needed since SRAM's are at the correct angle to begin with, at
>least the ones I've seen. Why Shimano can't/won't figure this simple thing
>out is beyond me!
>Slacker

Perhaps they have a lot of old stock parts already fabricated.

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
> Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the back.
> With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without it
> sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable supposed
> to not loop? It seems to shift fine.
>

> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

So what do you think of the derailure? Is it rapid rise?

Scott wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different
>> than Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and
>> through the back. With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make
>> a loop without it sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So,
>> is the cable supposed to not loop? It seems to shift fine.
>>

>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws

> So what do you think of the derailure? Is it rapid rise?

All Sram derailleurs are high normal, not "rapid-rise" or low normal.

And yes the shifter housing runs straight to them with no "loop". You can
use an Avid Rollamagig to get this with Shimano.

I've seen too many X.0 derailleurs self destruct however. The pully cage
separates from the knuckle easily.

Mike

Scott wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
>>Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the back.
>>With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without it
>>sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable supposed
>>to not loop? It seems to shift fine.
>>

>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>www.schnauzers.ws

> So what do you think of the derailure? Is it rapid rise?

Well, still not done with the build. Testing it though it seems to be
more on the mark than XTR. I still have to get used to the one finger
push-push x.9 shifters. I don't know if it is rapid rise because I do
not think they make different versions other than cage length. It seems
more responsive and lighter than XTR. I also like the "no loop" cable.
I always screwed up the length of that in the past.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I've seen too many X.0 derailleurs self destruct however. The pully cage
> separates from the knuckle easily.
>
> Mike

What do you recommend for a good DH rear derailer? My friends seem to going
with road bike derailers (Slacker even mentioned that in the past too).

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I also like the "no loop" cable. I always screwed up the length of that
> in the past.

True dat! Only on my last 2 builds did I get the right length the first
time.

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I had a Shimano 105 (road) short cage on my Tazer, when I did that sort of
> thing.Interesting.

How did you like it and by "that sort of thing" I take that you mean you
were riding 4x races?

Scott wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>I had a Shimano 105 (road) short cage on my Tazer, when I did that sort of
>>thing.Interesting.

> How did you like it and by "that sort of thing" I take that you mean you
> were riding 4x races?

Never had a problem with it. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

That sort of thing = Lift ticket up, scared as **** coming down. 195#,
5'5", and no gear aside from a regular helmet. She was a very pretty
ride, may she bless the current owner with hours of non pedaling fun.

I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for the
coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> That sort of thing = Lift ticket up, scared as **** coming down. 195#,
> 5'5", and no gear aside from a regular helmet. She was a very pretty
> ride, may she bless the current owner with hours of non pedaling fun.

Oh I totally understand! The first real DH run (Ball n'jack mostly) I was
on (I thought it was an xc trail) was at Snowshoe. All I had on was an open
face helmet! Well after the shuttle back up I broke out the body armor,
full face helmet and DH bike. I am thanksful to have survives a 20 minute
DH with no pedaling!

> I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for the
> coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.

I race DH but it is just for fun. I am not serious at all and I don't mind
losing. To me it all about having fun with my son.

Scott wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>That sort of thing = Lift ticket up, scared as **** coming down. 195#,
>>5'5", and no gear aside from a regular helmet. She was a very pretty
>>ride, may she bless the current owner with hours of non pedaling fun.

> Oh I totally understand! The first real DH run (Ball n'jack mostly) I was
> on (I thought it was an xc trail) was at Snowshoe. All I had on was an open
> face helmet! Well after the shuttle back up I broke out the body armor,
> full face helmet and DH bike. I am thanksful to have survives a 20 minute
> DH with no pedaling!
>

>>I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for the
>>coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.

> I race DH but it is just for fun. I am not serious at all and I don't mind
> losing. To me it all about having fun with my son.

My little one still has training wheels (5, but he'll be into riding)
and the big one (11) will not go near a bicycle. Funny, huh? I even
bought him a nice Specialized Rockhopper so he'd have a bike like Dad.
Nope. Won't even touch the damn thing. But they love watching my videos.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

>> "Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
>>

> I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for the
> coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.

Bwhahahahaha... Beginner... you *Sandbagger*!!!

--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
>>> "Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
>>>

>> I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for
>> the coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.
>>

> Bwhahahahaha... Beginner... you *Sandbagger*!!!

Well, if I have never raced before should I jump to the next level? How
do you determine what category to compete in? Isn't the next one up Sport?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

justen wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>> I also like the "no loop" cable. I always screwed up the length of
>>> that in the past.

>> True dat! Only on my last 2 builds did I get the right length the
>> first time.

> Same here. Here are pics of fixed version.
> http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/HPIM0111small.jpg
> http://myweb.cableone.net/justen/HPIM0112small.jpg
>
> Justen

Yup, that's what mine looks like now only I left a little more cable
housing just in case.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot (never quite sure) o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:32:02 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I don't race, yet. XC Beginner Vet category is looking doable for
>>> the coming season Trek Classic series. I hate losing.
>>>

>> Bwhahahahaha... Beginner... you *Sandbagger*!!!
>>

> Well, if I have never raced before should I jump to the next level? How
> do you determine what category to compete in? Isn't the next one up
> Sport?

I've thought of this before too, just in case I wanted to enter a race,
which I really don't.

But anyway, the categories are for riding capabilities, not necessarily
race experience. You ride enough and with enough people that you should
have some idea of where you fit in. If I had to guess, I would think Sport
would be a good start. If you're easily smok'n a vast majority of the
field there, then maybe it's time for Expert.

--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:32:02 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Bwhahahahaha... Beginner... you *Sandbagger*!!!
>>>

>> Well, if I have never raced before should I jump to the next level? How
>> do you determine what category to compete in? Isn't the next
>> one up Sport?
>>

> I've thought of this before too, just in case I wanted to enter a
> race, which I really don't.
>
> But anyway, the categories are for riding capabilities, not
> necessarily race experience. You ride enough and with enough people
> that you should have some idea of where you fit in. If I had to
> guess, I would think Sport would be a good start. If you're easily
> smok'n a vast majority of the field there, then maybe it's time for
> Expert.

Wrong. Start the first ever race as a beginner so you're not getting in the
way. Learn from the experience. If, and only if, you win then move up.
There's more to riding capabilities in a race, like race experience.

Gary (let the faster rider through...unless he's in your group!) <(;-}

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:56:31 -0700, GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:

> Slacker wrote:

>> I've thought of this before too, just in case I wanted to enter a
>> race, which I really don't.
>>
>> But anyway, the categories are for riding capabilities, not
>> necessarily race experience. You ride enough and with enough people
>> that you should have some idea of where you fit in. If I had to
>> guess, I would think Sport would be a good start. If you're easily
>> smok'n a vast majority of the field there, then maybe it's time for
>> Expert.

> Wrong. Start the first ever race as a beginner so you're not getting in
> the
> way. Learn from the experience. If, and only if, you win then move up.
> There's more to riding capabilities in a race, like race experience.
>
> Gary (let the faster rider through...unless he's in your group!) <(;-}

Ahhh, I agree with you. I forgot, you freaks race against each other (at
the same time), unlike in DH.

Hey Mitch, nm... I withdraw my Sandbagger comment till after the 2nd or
3rd race :p
--
Slacker