Sram X.9 derailleur question

I am currently running a sram X.9 shifter/derailleur setup on my S/C Blur. I
recently upgraded my crankset to an XTR, which has 46 teeth on the big ring.
When I installed the chain, there was a 44 tooth big ring (XT) on the big
ring. I have heard that there was a problem with this particular derailleur
breaking when the chain is a little too short. The shifting is flawless
right now, but I don't want any problems down the trail. Should I replace
the chain with a longer one? Any info is appreciated, TIA
Greg

[email protected] wrote:
> I am currently running a sram X.9 shifter/derailleur setup on my S/C
> Blur. I recently upgraded my crankset to an XTR, which has 46 teeth
> on the big ring. When I installed the chain, there was a 44 tooth big
> ring (XT) on the big ring. I have heard that there was a problem with
> this particular derailleur breaking when the chain is a little too
> short. The shifting is flawless right now, but I don't want any
> problems down the trail. Should I replace the chain with a longer
> one? Any info is appreciated, TIA

Well, hopefully you can avoid riding in the "big-big" combination, anyway --
it's an extreme cross-chain -- but just to be safe put the bike in a stand
and see if you can still turn the cranks in that combo. (Gently!)

If you can't turn the cranks (things jam and would break if forced), then
you should either add a couple of links or just run a new chain and save
this one for future use on a different bike or with a smaller front ring (or
big cog in back).

Bill S.