SRAM X.9/X.7 trigger shifters?

M. Chandler

Guest
Would anyone who's using these care to comment on their performance,
durability, etc? I'm running older 9.0 ESP twisters, but because of
wrist problems, am considering the ESP trigger shifters (X.9 or X.7's).

Thanks,

--mc
--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:48:13 -0700, M. Chandler wrote:

> Would anyone who's using these care to comment on their performance,
> durability, etc? I'm running older 9.0 ESP twisters, but because of
> wrist problems, am considering the ESP trigger shifters (X.9 or X.7's).

I've got X7's and they are fine.I sometimes miss a shift because of not
pushing the lever in enough, but it is rare, and mainly because I dont use
my MTB much now.
An option I may be going for when I next need some is the Campy flat bar
shifters.Got any experience of these?
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

M. Chandler wrote:

> Would anyone who's using these care to comment on their performance,
> durability, etc? I'm running older 9.0 ESP twisters, but because of
> wrist problems, am considering the ESP trigger shifters (X.9 or X.7's).

I don't own any of these, but I have test-ridden them and I liked their
ergonomics.

When my wrists were troubling me, I too had problems with twisg-grips.
Fortunately, substantial weight loss has cured my wrist problems.

I haven't seen any complaints of durability issues, but these are pretty
new and there aren't a lot of them in service yet. There have been
legal issues around possible patent infringement, which have caused
availability to be somewhat spotty.

Sheldon "Not A Big Twist-Grip Fan" Brown
| I’ll be voting for John Kerry Tomorrow |
| I hope you will too. |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> M. Chandler wrote:
>
>> Would anyone who's using these care to comment on their performance,
>> durability, etc? I'm running older 9.0 ESP twisters, but because of
>> wrist problems, am considering the ESP trigger shifters (X.9 or X.7's).

> I don't own any of these, but I have test-ridden them and I liked their
> ergonomics.

Are they designed like Shimano's triggers--thumb pulls cable, forefinger
releases cable? Also, is the front/left shifter fully indexed (i.e.,
only three positions)?

> When my wrists were troubling me, I too had problems with twisg-grips.
> Fortunately, substantial weight loss has cured my wrist problems.

I broke my wrist in the spring, and now have limited strength/mobility
in my right hand. Said injury makes it difficult to shift with
twist-grips, which is why I'm considering the (SRAM) triggers.

> I haven't seen any complaints of durability issues, but these are pretty
> new and there aren't a lot of them in service yet. There have been
> legal issues around possible patent infringement, which have caused
> availability to be somewhat spotty.

Are they compatible with any index-capable cable/housing? I'm on a
recumbent, so the rear cable will be longer than most.

Many thanks.

--

M. Chandler wrote:

>>> Would anyone who's using these care to comment on their performance,
>>> durability, etc? I'm running older 9.0 ESP twisters, but because of
>>> wrist problems, am considering the ESP trigger shifters (X.9 or X.7's).

I replied:

>> I don't own any of these, but I have test-ridden them and I liked
>> their ergonomics.

> Are they designed like Shimano's triggers--thumb pulls cable, forefinger
> releases cable? Also, is the front/left shifter fully indexed (i.e.,
> only three positions)?

Yes. It is my recollection that the cable release "trigger" moves in a
slighlyt different direction from Shimano, otherwise quite similar.

> Are they compatible with any index-capable cable/housing? I'm on a
> recumbent, so the rear cable will be longer than most.

Sure.

Sheldon "They'll Work" Brown
| A ship in the harbor is safe, but |
| that is not what ships are built for. |
| --John A. Shedd |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Chandler-<< Would anyone who's using these care to comment on their
performance,
>>> durability, etc? >><BR><BR>

What we spec on the MTBs we sell. Trigger is thumb, thumb, works really well,
much better than rapidfire plus and light years better than 'backfire plus'....

Best is with a Sram rear der as well.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message

> What we spec on the MTBs we sell. Trigger is thumb, thumb, works really well,
> much better than rapidfire plus and light years better than 'backfire plus'....
>
> Best is with a Sram rear der as well.

I've been using the X-9 shifters with X-9 rear mech for about a year
now and love them. Your thumbs do all the shifting which allows you
to keep you finger on the brake levers when shifting up and down,
which cannot be easily done with any other MTB shifting system. Very
useful for very technical terrain. The action is very smooth and
reliable and is very intuitive. Some of my friends haven't had the
same joy with Shimano's rapid rise dual control.

I also like to brake with just my Index finger and these shifters
allow for perfect placement of the hand for shifting and one finger
braking. I found I personally couldn't do this with rapid-fire.

Customer service from SRAM has been very good for me in the past with
replacement parts sent or offered.

Give 'em a go!

Paul Guttridge