sram x9 rear derailleurs

Andy

Guest
I am considering making the move to SRAM. There is some opinion that the
sram derailleurs don't allow the chain to slap around as much as
shimano and the shifting is more 'crisp'. However I have read that there
may durability issues w/ the x9 rear derailleur on MTBR. Any information
on these issues or if the 2007 model may have addressed any previous issues?
TIA.
andy

Andy wrote:
> I am considering making the move to SRAM. There is some opinion that the
> sram derailleurs don't allow the chain to slap around as much as
> shimano and the shifting is more 'crisp'. However I have read that there
> may durability issues w/ the x9 rear derailleur on MTBR. Any information
> on these issues or if the 2007 model may have addressed any previous
> issues?
> TIA.
> andy

if their derailleur components are still cast, [in this case
thixoformed,] then their fatigue life is still going to be compromised
compared to quality forged shimano componentry. and quality shifting on
shimano componentry is best achieved by using the appropriate shimano chain.

jim beam wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> I am considering making the move to SRAM. There is some opinion that
>> the sram derailleurs don't allow the chain to slap around as much as
>> shimano and the shifting is more 'crisp'. However I have read that
>> there may durability issues w/ the x9 rear derailleur on MTBR. Any
>> information on these issues or if the 2007 model may have addressed
>> any previous issues?
>> TIA.
>> andy

> if their derailleur components are still cast, [in this case
> thixoformed,] then their fatigue life is still going to be compromised
> compared to quality forged shimano componentry. and quality shifting
> on shimano componentry is best achieved by using the appropriate
> shimano chain.

Fatigue life? What on a derailleur would fatigue to failure?
--
Phil

Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>> I am considering making the move to SRAM. There is some opinion that
>>> the sram derailleurs don't allow the chain to slap around as much as
>>> shimano and the shifting is more 'crisp'. However I have read that
>>> there may durability issues w/ the x9 rear derailleur on MTBR. Any
>>> information on these issues or if the 2007 model may have addressed
>>> any previous issues?
>>> TIA.
>>> andy

>> if their derailleur components are still cast, [in this case
>> thixoformed,] then their fatigue life is still going to be compromised
>> compared to quality forged shimano componentry. and quality shifting
>> on shimano componentry is best achieved by using the appropriate
>> shimano chain.

> Fatigue life? What on a derailleur would fatigue to failure?

The info on SRAM website says "forged aluminum B knuckle". Does this
mean the part that was problematic (cast) is now forged?
andy

Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>> I am considering making the move to SRAM. There is some opinion that
>>> the sram derailleurs don't allow the chain to slap around as much as
>>> shimano and the shifting is more 'crisp'. However I have read that
>>> there may durability issues w/ the x9 rear derailleur on MTBR. Any
>>> information on these issues or if the 2007 model may have addressed
>>> any previous issues?
>>> TIA.
>>> andy

>> if their derailleur components are still cast, [in this case
>> thixoformed,] then their fatigue life is still going to be compromised
>> compared to quality forged shimano componentry. and quality shifting
>> on shimano componentry is best achieved by using the appropriate
>> shimano chain.

> Fatigue life? What on a derailleur would fatigue to failure?

from what i hear, the cage tends to fail.

jim beam wrote:
> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:
>>> if their derailleur components are still cast, [in this case
>>> thixoformed,] then their fatigue life is still going to be
>>> compromised compared to quality forged shimano componentry. and
>>> quality shifting on shimano componentry is best achieved by using
>>> the appropriate shimano chain.

>> Fatigue life? What on a derailleur would fatigue to failure?

> from what i hear, the cage tends to fail.

Interesting. It's hard for me to visualize what kinds of forces would cause
one to fail. Do you have more information on these failures, or are they on
message boards scattered around the net?
--
Phil

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Derailleur/product_20838.shtml

jim beam wrote:
> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>> jim beam wrote:
>>> from what i hear, the cage tends to fail.

>> Interesting. It's hard for me to visualize what kinds of forces
>> would cause one to fail. Do you have more information on these
>> failures, or are they on message boards scattered around the net?

> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Derailleur/product_20838.shtml

Yikes - the link you sent is in reference to the 9.0SLs... not the current
X-series of derailleurs. Most of the failures were due to the plastic
knuckles... not terribly surprising.

The current series (I read the X.7 reviews) looks like all the complaints
are due to improper derailleur adjustments (shifting into the spokes, etc.)
and them blaming on the manuf.
--
Phil

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 01:23:01 -0500, "Phil, Non-Squid"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>jim beam wrote:
>> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting. It's hard for me to visualize what kinds of forces
>>> would cause one to fail. Do you have more information on these
>>> failures, or are they on message boards scattered around the net?

>> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Derailleur/product_20838.shtml

>Yikes - the link you sent is in reference to the 9.0SLs... not the current
>X-series of derailleurs. Most of the failures were due to the plastic
>knuckles... not terribly surprising.
>
>The current series (I read the X.7 reviews) looks like all the complaints
>are due to improper derailleur adjustments (shifting into the spokes, etc.)
>and them blaming on the manuf.

Dear Phil & Jim,

I don't know enough about the derailleurs to guess which Shimano
review to browse on that site for comparision.

Assuming that comparable Shimano rear derailleurs exist, do they
suffer similar failures, regardless of the cause?

Here are the SRAM ESP 9.0 reviews. (Caution: lurid complaints about
numerous failures, some blamed on wives! Strong language, but "fluck"
is just an inspired mis-spelling that does not mean what you might
expect.)

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Derailleur/product_20838.shtml

Here are the SRAM X.7 reviews. (Caution: fewer failures, no wives
blamed, less entertaining.)

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Derailleur/product_122810.shtml

And here's the list of reviewed derailleurs--do any others break so
easily?

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Derailleur/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>>> Interesting. It's hard for me to visualize what kinds of forces
>>> would cause one to fail. Do you have more information on these
>>> failures, or are they on message boards scattered around the net?

>> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Derailleur/product_20838.shtml

> Yikes - the link you sent is in reference to the 9.0SLs... not the current
> X-series of derailleurs. Most of the failures were due to the plastic
> knuckles... not terribly surprising.

there's others, but you can google them yourself.

> The current series (I read the X.7 reviews) looks like all the complaints
> are due to improper derailleur adjustments (shifting into the spokes, etc.)
> and them blaming on the manuf.

maybe, but

1. i don't see the same "maladjustment" faults being a problem with shimano.

2. the cage design looks far too complex to be forged/machined to me.
and if it's therefore cast [thixoformed], its mechanical properties will
be inferior.

i've bent shimano derailleurs, but not broken them as appears to be the
case here.

On Feb 26, 4:13 pm, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am considering making the move to SRAM. There is some opinion that the
> sram derailleurs don't allow the chain to slap around as much as
> shimano and the shifting is more 'crisp'. However I have read that there
> may durability issues w/ the x9 rear derailleur on MTBR. Any information
> on these issues or if the 2007 model may have addressed any previous issues?
> TIA.
> andy

When we spec a MTB, if they ask us, Sram triggers and RD for sure. XT/
XTR hubs, XT crank, Sram cogset and chain. Avid mechanicals if disc,
XT if 'V', Fox front suspension. We have seen no Sram early
detonations of anything.