SRAM Xray Grip Shifter Question

Thirsty

Guest
I have SRAM Xray Grip Shifters from around 1997 on a hardtail
mountain bike. I was replacing the rear derailleur cable on it and I
noticed that the grip shifter was missing its triangular plastic
housing cover. I'm not sure how long it has been missing, but I'm
wondering if that piece missing will cause any problems. I was having
some problems with the index shifting. The housing cover doesn't
appear to have any function other than to keep dirt out of the inside
of the shifter, but I'm not certain about that. Does it also hold the
two parts of the shifter together?

Truthfully, I've never been a big fan of these shifters so if anyone
has replacement recommendations that would be good too.

Thanks, John

Thirsty wrote:
> I have SRAM Xray Grip Shifters from around 1997 on a hardtail
> mountain bike. I was replacing the rear derailleur cable on it and I
> noticed that the grip shifter was missing its triangular plastic
> housing cover. I'm not sure how long it has been missing, but I'm
> wondering if that piece missing will cause any problems. I was having
> some problems with the index shifting. The housing cover doesn't
> appear to have any function other than to keep dirt out of the inside
> of the shifter, but I'm not certain about that. Does it also hold the
> two parts of the shifter together?
>
> Truthfully, I've never been a big fan of these shifters so if anyone
> has replacement recommendations that would be good too.

The triangular 'window' is just a cable access cover. Take normal care
that the wire and casing are undamaged, lubricate the shifter with SRAM
or similar non-petroleum lube and you should be OK without it. 1.1 wires
as SRAM recommends do shift better. If you're in filthy conditions, I
suppose a swatch of tape over the aperture may help keep crud out.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org