SRM and Garmin 500 accuracy?

cyclistemme

Apr 2, 2014
Hello all - I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been having "issues" with my Garmin 500 lately - freezing, not calibrating, etc. Two weeks ago, I did a hard reset which stopped the freezing issue. I also have checked the software with the WebUpdater at Garmin Connect and it tells me I am now up to date.

But now I am finding that my power seems to be reading at least 20% lower than usual. Same route, same heart rate, same rate of perceived exertion, but the watts don't seem to be accurate. I checked the slope (whatever that is) and it is inputted correctly. Maybe I am just tired or losing fitness - gawd, I hope not - but I cycle twice weekly in a studio with a Computrainer and my watts, zones and perceived exertion on that equipment are the same, perhaps even a bit low (that is, zone 2 feels like zone 1). It's just the Garmin that doesn't seem right. The Garmin 500 is not that old, maybe 3 years?

I sent the SRM in to be calibrated at the factory about eight months ago.

Any thoughts anybody? This is driving me nuts!!

Are you resetting the zero offset before each ride? If not, that may be it. Temperature is probably a bit higher now than it was a few weeks ago. Could be affecting things.