SRM battery replacement -- how to?

EpicriderGMAC

Dec 12, 2005
I need to replace the battery in my SRM professional crank, but I don't know what type of battery that I need nor do I know how to replace it. Is the battery available at local stores, or must it be ordered from SRM?

Does anyone have the basic instrutions of how to replace the battery?

I need to have my cranks working in one week (time trial comming up!), so I don't have time to send it in to SRM to be replaced.

Also--do I have to realibrate the slope of the powermeter after replacing the battery, or should the slope remain reatively the same?

Thanks for the help.....

EpicriderGMAC said:
I need to replace the battery in my SRM professional crank, but I don't know what type of battery that I need nor do I know how to replace it. Is the battery available at local stores, or must it be ordered from SRM?

Does anyone have the basic instrutions of how to replace the battery?

I need to have my cranks working in one week (time trial comming up!), so I don't have time to send it in to SRM to be replaced.

Also--do I have to realibrate the slope of the powermeter after replacing the battery, or should the slope remain reatively the same?

Thanks for the help.....
you have to send it back, you can't do it on your own. srm typically has a fast turnaround time, you should be able to get it back before next weekend.

again, don't do it yourself, you'll permantely damage the strain gauges and the battery is hard to come by.

I don't recommend it, and you will void your warranty, but you can do it yourself.

Open it up and you will see the battery. It is soldered on, and you will need to solder on the replacement. Actually, it is quite straight forward.

I second that the SRM factory has a quick turnaround time. If you really need it quick overnight it there and overnight it back.

J

Since my waratee is already done with.....what type of battery do I need to replace the orional SRM?

I have not done it, so I am not sure what kind of battery is required. You could:

a) ring SRM and see. The US guys are out in Cali

b) open it up and see

Sorry can't be of more help.

The SRM pro, amateur, and Dura Ace all use the same battery, Electrochem QTC85 1" diameter. I'm not sure about the FSA SRM or any of the compact spidered SRMs.

For SRMs with integrated spindles, you'll probably have to separate the right arm from the SRM in order to lift the white disc enough to get at the battery. For the Dura Ace SRM, that means having T20(?) and T30 bits and a good torque wrench.