SRM Chain Slip/Jam

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
Odd thing today. When I shifted down to the small ring, the chain (new Campy ultra-narrow) somehow managed to sit between the two rings and just slip while I pedaled! Now, this isn't supposed to be a clutch, so I'm not thrilled about it. Yes, my FD is adjusted properly.

Is this a known problem -- that maybe the new Campy 10z chain is too narrow?

Aztec said:
Odd thing today. When I shifted down to the small ring, the chain (new Campy ultra-narrow) somehow managed to sit between the two rings and just slip while I pedaled! Now, this isn't supposed to be a clutch, so I'm not thrilled about it. Yes, my FD is adjusted properly.

Maybe just the odd missed shift? I've got Record front derail using Campy and Wipperman 10 sp. chains and have never had an issue.

Aztec said:

it happens to me with DA10 nearly everytime i shift down, i can't figure it out???

Aztec said:

I assume that you're using Campy 10 speed rings on your SRM? If so, then I'd suggest using a micrometer to measure the thickness of the spider at the chainring bolts...if that's the same on your SRM and your Campy crank, then you can't blame the SRM.

If you're using the TA rings that come with the SRM and/or don't have a Campy crank against which to compare it, then it's hard to say what the cause might be...however, I can say that I've never had an issue w/ respect to front shifting with my SRM (using D/A 9 speed rings and chain, however).

I have tried several combinations of chains and chainrings with my SRM. 9 speed was NO problem. 10 speed DA rings combined with a 10 speed ultegra chain gave me the same problem. (chain managed to sit between the two rings and just slip while pedaling). Now I use a KMC 10 speed chain with no issues - still on 10 speed DA chainrings.
You might also want to check that your derailure hanger isn't bend - just a slight bend have also caused the same problem on my frame.

Seems most of you guys are having trouble with narrow 10 speed chains: Shimano 10 and Campy Ultra. Switch to Campy 'normal' 10s chains, Shimano 9 (probably works great on 10 speed, it does work fine on Campy 10), or change the large chainring.

The large chainring is usually the only different part on 9 vs. 10 speed cranksets: It sits closer to the small ring in 10s systems.

I may be wrong in that some other systems change thickness of the spider arms.

Funny I just noticed the same starting about a month ago...SRM Pro w/DA10 rings running DA7801 chains. Happens every now and then in the 19/21/23 cogs. Adjusted F Der to not push chain as far towards BB but now get a little chain noise when in little ring and the last cog - 23. Not a big problem but still trying to solve it. Will check R der hanger alignment.

acoggan said:
I assume that you're using Campy 10 speed rings on your SRM? If so, then I'd suggest using a micrometer to measure the thickness of the spider at the chainring bolts...if that's the same on your SRM and your Campy crank, then you can't blame the SRM.

If you're using the TA rings that come with the SRM and/or don't have a Campy crank against which to compare it, then it's hard to say what the cause might be...however, I can say that I've never had an issue w/ respect to front shifting with my SRM (using D/A 9 speed rings and chain, however).

I'm using the 'stock' FSA rings that came on the SRM. I assumed they would be identical to Campy rings given that it's square taper and supposedly for Campy! I run Wipperman 10s on my other bike, so I'll try swapping that chain over.

Aztec said:
I'm using the 'stock' FSA rings that came on the SRM. I assumed they would be identical to Campy rings given that it's square taper and supposedly for Campy! I run Wipperman 10s on my other bike, so I'll try swapping that chain over.
Currently, I've got the exact setup, Campy SRM with FSA rings, Wipperman 10s chain -- I've never had any problems.

JIM WV said:
Currently, I've got the exact setup, Campy SRM with FSA rings, Wipperman 10s chain -- I've never had any problems.

I checked, and the width is 5.9 vs. 6.2mm. Hard to imagine that .3mm would allow it to get caught in there, but you never know. Pity I don't have the Campy tool and had to finesse that sucker on there! Hate to waste a $65 (LBS) chain. :-(