SRM help please

caad8

Dec 25, 2005
I did a my first race today with my new (one week old) SRM:D . The problem is that I think it is measuring incorrectly. The race was a cat 3/4 crit on the course that will be used for nationals in July. I finished fourth and the power numbers seem really low. My max power was 855 and that just seems low for one of these races. Overall all of my power readings have seemed low since I got the SRM but I thought it was just me being weak. If anyone thinks that you can help I can send you the file to look at. I calibrated it right before the race and do so several times per ride. I tried adjusting the way it is setup on the bike twice with no change in results. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom

I'm a new SRM owner as well. One thing I saw when I first installed it was that the offset wasn't similar with various crank positions. If the sensor install adjustment doesn't help or it's already stable, you could do a slope calculation with a known mass. I haven't tried this yet (I don't have a know mass and level), but I suspose it would be nice to have the equipment on hand to periodically verify the accuracy, one more thing to buy. From what I've read online, initially the slope can change after manufacture as the resin continues to fully cure.

Erik

esandman said:
I'm a new SRM owner as well. One thing I saw when I first installed it was that the offset wasn't similar with various crank positions. If the sensor install adjustment doesn't help or it's already stable, you could do a slope calculation with a known mass. I haven't tried this yet (I don't have a know mass and level), but I suspose it would be nice to have the equipment on hand to periodically verify the accuracy, one more thing to buy. From what I've read online, initially the slope can change after manufacture as the resin continues to fully cure.

Erik
The offset seems to stay the same at all crank positions, Thanks

caad8 said:
I did a my first race today with my new (one week old) SRM:D . The problem is that I think it is measuring incorrectly. The race was a cat 3/4 crit on the course that will be used for nationals in July. I finished fourth and the power numbers seem really low. My max power was 855 and that just seems low for one of these races. Overall all of my power readings have seemed low since I got the SRM but I thought it was just me being weak. If anyone thinks that you can help I can send you the file to look at. I calibrated it right before the race and do so several times per ride. I tried adjusting the way it is setup on the bike twice with no change in results. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom
Which model SRM do you have?

caad8 said:
Nice job on a fun course. How windy was it yesterday? I rode the same course two weeks ago but in the 1,2,3 field. My max power was a bit over 1000 (and I know my 5 sec power is higher than that -- so, if I went by that I could think that my max was low or the PM was off) but I went between 800 -- 950 many, many times (in the end, it was too many times for me as I came off with 5 to go . . . but at least I know why)

Anyways, I've found that's a typical crit file download for me ... no number at what I can max out for 5 sec but with lots and lots of variability. Have you ridden with a PM before, esp. in a crit? A max of 855 may or may not be low and your SRM may/may not be off but I don't know if I would draw any conclusions just from that alone.

JIM WV said:
Nice job on a fun course. How windy was it yesterday? I rode the same course two weeks ago but in the 1,2,3 field. My max power was a bit over 1000 (and I know my 5 sec power is higher than that -- so, if I went by that I could think that my max was low or the PM was off) but I went between 800 -- 950 many, many times (in the end, it was too many times for me as I came off with 5 to go . . . but at least I know why)

Anyways, I've found that's a typical crit file download for me ... no number at what I can max out for 5 sec but with lots and lots of variability. Have you ridden with a PM before, esp. in a crit? A max of 855 may or may not be low and your SRM may/may not be off but I don't know if I would draw any conclusions just from that alone.
Thanks for the reply, it was a fun course wasn't it. Could you send me a copy of your power file to [email protected]? I'd really appreciate it. How was the weather for the 1,2,3 race? It looked like it was going to get nice out.