SRM in the cold?

evanhyde

Oct 30, 2004
I was riding today in about 15 degrees (F) with my SRM mountain bike version. For the first 1hr 45 minutes the readings were fine, but all of a sudden the wattage jumped to about 2,000 watts. The average for the last 30 minutes of my ride was 1,500 watts. There was no big change in the temperature, and I set the zero offset about 25 minutes into the ride.

This was the third day in a row of riding in these temperatures, but the first time this wild wattage has shown up. When the high numbers appeared, I did not attempt to do another zero-offset becasue my fingers were too cold. Is there a temperature limitation with the SRM? Should I not use it in the winter?

evanhyde said:
I was riding today in about 15 degrees (F) with my SRM mountain bike version. For the first 1hr 45 minutes the readings were fine, but all of a sudden the wattage jumped to about 2,000 watts. The average for the last 30 minutes of my ride was 1,500 watts. There was no big change in the temperature, and I set the zero offset about 25 minutes into the ride.

This was the third day in a row of riding in these temperatures, but the first time this wild wattage has shown up. When the high numbers appeared, I did not attempt to do another zero-offset becasue my fingers were too cold. Is there a temperature limitation with the SRM? Should I not use it in the winter?
tempature is not making it go that high, but you might have busted a strain gauge, you should call srm

evanhyde said:

it should work down to -4 °F.

sash said:
tempature is not making it go that high, but you might have busted a strain gauge, you should call srm

Is that a common problem? This is a relatively new SRM, and I have used 3 other SRM's for much longer without breaking a strain guage. I guess I will have to give them a call...