SRM lifespan/top-plate button problems

Alleycat22

Jul 20, 2010
Just interested in how long your SRM has lasted, and whether anyone has had ongoing problems with their particular unit. Mine (not wireless) is at least 3rd-hand - there are some files on it that date back to 1993...
Lately I have had to mail it to the SRM service guys about twice a year - once for battery change, and again for a problem of some sort, like the top-plate buttons not working or a defective battery. It is costing $$$ to maintain (shipping and service). :eek:

Is that the same Powertap that crops up in other threads as dead on arrival and requiring frequent bearing maintenance? ;)

2½ years with SRM's here, all year round, no maintenance except battery replacement. Seven years sounds like a pretty good lifespan - if mine gets beyond that I'll be fairly happy!

Alleycat22 said:
there are some files on it that date back to 1993...
I believe that they all come with those files (SRMWin loads them?). I've some from 1989. Are yours in a folder labeled "_YYY" by chance?
Alleycat22 said:
Lately I have had to mail it to the SRM service guys about twice a year - once for battery change, and again for a problem of some sort, like the top-plate buttons not working or a defective battery. It is costing $$$ to maintain (shipping and service). :eek:
Sorry to hear about that. I've mailed my PCV (I assume that you're talking about the PC and not the PM) once in 3 1/2 years of use for a battery change. Are you saying that your PC needs a new battery every year? That sounds odd.

Dave

dkrenik said:
I believe that they all come with those files (SRMWin loads them?). I've some from 1989. Are yours in a folder labeled "_YYY" by chance?

Sorry to hear about that. I've mailed my PCV (I assume that you're talking about the PC and not the PM) once in 3 1/2 years of use for a battery change. Are you saying that your PC needs a new battery every year? That sounds odd.

Dave
I emailed Jason at thebikeage.com. I have probably been letting the battery discharge to nothing too often - he suggests it is best for the SRM to be left charging when not in use, as the battery life decreases if it discharges completely. And yes those old files are from the software. He also recommended (for zero-offestting) holding down the Mode button, THEN pushing the Set button...I could never get into zero-offset mode when trying to push the 2 buttons simultaneously as described in the manual.

alleycat said:
I have probably been letting the battery discharge to nothing too often - he suggests it is best for the SRM to be left charging when not in use, as the battery life decreases if it discharges completely.
Also,in spite of what the SRM folks will tell you, you don't want to leave the PC on the charger for extended periods of time either. There was a discussion about this on the Wattage forum and, apparently, the way to extend the battery life of the PC is to not let it completely discharge and not to leave it connected to the charger for extended periods either.

Dave