SRM mounting advice

Overhill

Nov 18, 2005
I have recently joined the "power" group, and have a question about mounting the power pickup device for an SRM. The instructions say that the pickup can be mounted near the crank either on top or underneath the chain stay. Initially I thought above would be better to avoid road dirt, etc; however, if mounted on top, should I throw the chain off to the inside [yes, that should not happen, but...] I am concerned that it could do a lot of damage. I therefore mounted the device under the chainstay. Now I am only inside on the trainer, but I'm still concerned about the location of the mount when I get back outside.
What have you other users done? What do you suggest? Comments welcome.
Thank you.

Overhill said:
I have recently joined the "power" group, and have a question about mounting the power pickup device for an SRM. The instructions say that the pickup can be mounted near the crank either on top or underneath the chain stay. Initially I thought above would be better to avoid road dirt, etc; however, if mounted on top, should I throw the chain off to the inside [yes, that should not happen, but...] I am concerned that it could do a lot of damage. I therefore mounted the device under the chainstay. Now I am only inside on the trainer, but I'm still concerned about the location of the mount when I get back outside.
What have you other users done? What do you suggest? Comments welcome.
Thank you.

Depending on the bike, I've run them both above and below...in the big scheme of things, I don't think it really matters, since the sensors are pretty robust (yes, I've dropped a chain on mine a time or three).

One consideration you haven't mentioned is that to ensure stable zero offset values, and hence accurate power readings, the sensor should be parallel to, and not very far from, the white plastic disk that forms the back the powermeter. On some bikes this means that you can only mount it above or below, but one advantage of mounting it above is that there's a bit less risk of it getting moved when you load your bike into/out of a car, and you can tell at a glance while riding that it is in the right place.

Other random comments:

1) some pro mechanics have mounted the sensor on a metal bracket extending from the b.b. cable guides;

2) I saw today that on BT frames you can have them build a slot into the carbon fiber in which the sensor can reside;

3) if your carbon bike has such fat chainstays that you can't wrap the rubber band thingie around them, you can always just glue the sensor in place;

4) a woman's pony tail holder can be used in place of the rubber band in a pinch.