SRM needs to listen to the users

momiles

Oct 3, 2004
Must say I am enjoying the benefits of using a power meter while training!

I would like to add my two cents and a pose a few questions regarding SRM software and support. I was rather surprised with a few inconsistencies, spelling errors within the software and lack of beneficial online support. If one is dropping $3000+ SRM should address these and be more helpful.

1) On the Power Control V (2006 Model) one can view user settable zones starting at 0 and progressing to 5 (6 zones in total) but in the software, programmable zones start at 1 and progress to 5 (5 zones). This makes no sense at all to me and is rather inconsisten and confusing. All current literature starts at 1 and proceeds to 6 or 7. Surely I am not the only one who has recognized this and would like it fixed.

2) The software has numerous spelling mistakes. In my line of work before something goes out for public consumption for a large amount of money, proof reading better have occurred. I would be even more vigilent if translations were involved!

3) The supplied and plastic 31.8mm handlebar cradle did not go on my bars easily at all (Deda Newton). The screw actually damaged the handle bars. I would suggest to everyone to get the aluminum K-Wing bar adapter and forego the patronizing explanations on how to mount a handle bar cradle from SRM’s “support” staff.

4) One does not get a printed manual in the box. The downloadable manual is very hard to read after printing and is just as hard to read as a PDF file. Zooming in doesn’t help. Quality is just not there.

You know what really steams my cabbage? I have 4 initials and the PCV only lets you enter 3.

I mean, how am I supposed to enter Squinty Squint von Squint? That's SSvS, not SSS.

Simply intolerable.

You probably would have more success than me having that changed....because of the "von" no doubt.

I like my cabbage pickled

Squint said:
You know what really steams my cabbage? I have 4 initials and the PCV only lets you enter 3.

I mean, how am I supposed to enter Squinty Squint von Squint? That's SSvS, not SSS.

Simply intolerable.

as i see it SRM have a monopoly on the market for power meters, if you include the criteria that the system must look slick and be used by lots of pros. and as any monopolist knows, this allows you to be a bit blase about the details &/or customer service.

is the system really worth $3500 at this stage in the game?... i think not. but do people still buy them in around about the quantity their current business is interested in selling...i think probably yes.

Perhaps, but I think what I pointed out regarding the zones/software even the pros would like to see fixed. Maybe what they get and what us plebs get are two different things. Where have we all seen this before?

Poor business model by my estimation if you are correct.

robkit said:
as i see it SRM have a monopoly on the market for power meters, if you include the criteria that the system must look slick and be used by lots of pros. and as any monopolist knows, this allows you to be a bit blase about the details &/or customer service.

is the system really worth $3500 at this stage in the game?... i think not. but do people still buy them in around about the quantity their current business is interested in selling...i think probably yes.

momiles said:
3) The supplied and plastic 31.8mm handlebar cradle did not go on my bars easily at all (Deda Newton). The screw actually damaged the handle bars. I would suggest to everyone to get the aluminum K-Wing bar adapter and forego the patronizing explanations on how to mount a handle bar cradle from SRM’s “support” staff.
This really ticked me off, too, with the 31.8 cradle.

If you don't use the screw and nut and replace them with two small zip ties, it works just as well without any additional hardware.

momiles said:
Perhaps, but I think what I pointed out regarding the zones/software even the pros would like to see fixed. Maybe what they get and what us plebs get are two different things. Where have we all seen this before?

Poor business model by my estimation if you are correct.

Poor business model? Um, what business are you in?
One that loses money?

Let me get this straight. Market is about 2000 units a year, probably, maybe bigger. The product probably costs about 600 to make(the most expensive one for them to make- Shimano DA, since they have to buy the cranks at wholesale)

Sell it for 3400. Gross profit 2800. Factor in costs,margins for re-sellers, employees, etc. I would bet net is about 1000 on each system, but let's be really conservative, say 600. Let's see 600x 2000= $12,000,000 a year business net profit. Not bad for a guy operating out of his basement basically.
Is Uli driving Ferrari's around or what?

Bob

Bob Edberry said:
One that loses money?

Let me get this straight. Market is about 2000 units a year, probably, maybe bigger. The product probably costs about 600 to make(the most expensive one for them to make- Shimano DA, since they have to buy the cranks at wholesale)

Sell it for 3400. Gross profit 2800. Factor in costs,margins for re-sellers, employees, etc. I would bet net is about 1000 on each system, but let's be really conservative, say 600. Let's see 600x 2000= $12,000,000 a year business net profit. Not bad for a guy operating out of his basement basically.

Bob

In most cases, when the profit margins are that high there will be many willing sellers/manufacturers. IIRC the patent is about to run out.

Robert

Actually I do quite well thankyou very much....I could afford a SRM, I imagine you have a Polar HRM and covet a SRM :)

But point taken.

Now if you read and comprehend my post my belief is things can always be improved upon. If they are, you sell more units, make more cash and have more toys. Things can always be improved upon. Uli could have more than one Ferrari if he adjusted a few things. Word of mouth is always the best advertisement.

You are forgetting one thing though, in the beginning SRM was not selling 2000 units a year at a cost of $600

With all your number crunching you sound like a bean counter, best get out of the chair and increase your FTP to 180.

Said with a smile and chuckle I assure you.

What I would like is really very simple, I'm not asking for the stars.

Bob Edberry said:
One that loses money?

Bob

Bob Edberry said:
One that loses money?

Bob

600x 2000= 1,200,000. one too may zeros there my friend. Still nice lump of change though.

jslopez93 said:
600x 2000= 1,200,000. one too may zeros there my friend. Still nice lump of change though.

Doesn't matter since 2000 units was only a WAG based on no real evidence and he's not considering all the units provided for no cost or low cost.

Maybe the guy doesn't want to make more or sell more. There are some good reasons for that point of view.