SRM or PT SL Wheel Upgrade?

JIM WV

Aug 13, 2005
Need some thoughts. I've been using a PT SL built with the open pro for about 8 months. Great tool, wish I had this available years ago. Like lots of folks, got the PT thinking that I would just train with it and use all of my "other" wheels for races . . . . after years of training via RPE or HR now I am addicted to power and see the definite benefit to racing with it, which I have already done.

I know that the open pro is not a particularly heavy wheel -- that said there are ones that are lighter and/or far more aero (some of which I already own). Since I own a number of wheelsets, I've been thinking about getting an SRM on my race bike and keeping the PT on the bike I use for training. I've also been considering getting a new "all around" race wheelset (like a Zipp 303 or 404) and staying with the PT, although the cost of a Zipp PT wheelset is getting into the same neighborhood as an SRM (could recoup some by selling some old wheels, hubs)

My questions: Understand that the SRM and PT readings vary a bit as the SRM measures crank/PT the hub -- but is it enough to throw off training zones? Does anyone else mix and match metering technology without problems in data analysis, etc.?

Probably ought to avoid the issue and just keep racing that Open Pro wheel 'till it dies . . . Thanks in advance.

This issue can definitely get very complex very quickly, especially when you have multiple bikes (e.g., RR and TT) and want to have multiple wheel options (e.g., windy days). I don't think there is a "right" answer, especially because of the unavailability of certain otherwise highly desirable wheels (e.g., discs) that are not offered with a PT hub. Unfortunately, it will soon get more complex, although I won't go into detail why. I think if money were no object, I would put an SRM Pro compact crank on my road and TT frames and then buy a bunch of wheels for specific purposes. But, $7K is a fair bit of money for power data alone.

RapDaddyo said:
$7K is a fair bit of money for power data alone.

I think $7K is for two sets of SRM compact cranks (FSA or Dura Ace based).

Can't you get away with only one SRM, moving the crank between the two bikes back and forth? I can imagine that it would be quite a hussle to swap cranksets than wheels, but a $3400 can buy a very decent frame (e.g. Cervelo Soloist Carbon that's supposed to be very good in aero), so...

Just my two cents,

Ken

sugaken said:
I think $7K is for two sets of SRM compact cranks (FSA or Dura Ace based).
Yes, but that's the issue when one has two different racing frames. I would ride both frames every week, if only to practice on the TT frame in the aero position. I wouldn't want to swap cranks back and forth a couple of times a week. So, I won't go the SRM route until I'm ready to plunk down $7K for power data alone.