SRM or PT2.4

kennybear said:
What would you get.
Power tap 2.4 on Zipp 303's clenchers or SRM Dura ace?
You're talking religion here Kenny. :eek:

It really depends on what's important to you. I'd recommend you check out this link that discusses the pros & cons of nearly all the PM's on the market. Another good place for more info is here

Dave

kennybear said:
Thanks, lots of info...but religion aside what would you guys get?
I think that you're missing the point. It's what the differences in the PM matter to you. Regardless, I use an SRM Dura-Ace Compact.

Dave

kennybear said:
What would you get.
Power tap 2.4 on Zipp 303's clenchers or SRM Dura ace?
I dunno about religion but PT and SRM both have their pros and cons and to a major extent it depends on your individual circumstances as to which is a more appropriate choice.

For example:

If you are only talking about one bike and need to use a variety of wheels, then SRM is a good option.

If you have a budget limit and would like to be able to use the meter on more than one bike (and it's OK to use the same wheel), then PT is the go. You can make up more than one PT wheel as well and still be less than the cost of SRM.

If you are a track sprinter, the SRM track is a better choice.

If you don't want to muck about with calibrations, zero offsets, slightly fiddly set ups etc then the PT is the easiest of all meters to set up and use. Just plug and play.

and so on....

Thanks. I think that plug and play works for me. I just hope that I don't get one that drop out prone.

One more question. I'm planning on using a zipp 303, I weight about 165 lbs, I plan on training and racing on these wheels. I ride on pretty good roads. The quesion is do I get a 24, 28 or a 32 hole hub.

Thanks
K

kennybear said:
One more question. I'm planning on using a zipp 303, I weight about 165 lbs, I plan on training and racing on these wheels. I ride on pretty good roads. The quesion is do I get a 24, 28 or a 32 hole hub.

Thanks
K
Primary importance is the quality of wheel build. Spoke count won't matter if build is poor.

However fewer spokes may mean you need a heavier gauge and don't end up saving much weight. Depends on type of rider you are.

28 should be plenty.

Alex Simmons said:
If you don't want to muck about with calibrations, zero offsets, slightly fiddly set ups etc then the PT is the easiest of all meters to set up and use. Just plug and play.
I've never viewed any of that as "mucking about" ;)
Calibration (2x/year) takes ~20 mins.
0-offset takes ~20 sec.
My setup hasn't changed in a year.
I don't concern myself with "aliasing" effects :eek:

Dave

touchy touchy, they're both good.;)

but in terms of ease of use, if you can remove and replace a rear wheel on your bike and do up a couple of cable ties, then you can use a PT 2.4

that's a big advantage for some less mechanically minded people.

I'm glad my PT doesn't have to be recharged...can't tell you how many times other people I ride with start cussing because they forgot to charge their SRM's or Ergomos.

dkrenik said:
You're talking religion here Kenny. :eek:

It really depends on what's important to you. I'd recommend you check out this link that discusses the pros & cons of nearly all the PM's on the market. Another good place for more info is here

Dave
Yes.

I have PT on four bikes and SRM on two. I find that when something goes wrong with one of them, I wish I only had the other type. :) When everything works, one doesn't think about which type you have.

Alex Simmons said:
touchy touchy, they're both good.;)
Agreed & no offense taken. Just wanted to be sure that folks understand that the oft cited "quirks" of SRM's are, IMHO, rather insignificant. As with many things in life there are trade-offs; what it still comes down to is what feature/functionality is important to you.

Dave

dkrenik said:
Agreed & no offense taken. Just wanted to be sure that folks understand that the oft cited "quirks" of SRM's are, IMHO, rather insignificant. As with many things in life there are trade-offs; what it still comes down to is what feature/functionality is important to you.

It's just sour grapes. If you offered to trade your "troublesome" SRM for a PT, you wouldn't have any trouble finding someone willing to do so.

fox03f.jpg

Squint said:
It's just sour grapes. If you offered to trade your "troublesome" SRM for a PT, you wouldn't have any trouble finding someone willing to do so.
Well that's because they could sell it, buy two PTs and have change for a good night at the pub with the lads!:p

BTW - when I get my sh!t back together and riding OK, it's likely I'll move over to SRM for the track bike instead of the PT.