SRM wireless and PCVI

packfill

May 10, 2006
I am curious about the experience of others. I splurged on one of these units this Spring and have slightly more than a handful of rides on it. Throughout all of this period I have been getting transmission drops in the power and cadence. Usually this means getting a "0" reading followed by "--" Naturally, this messes with the data by the end of the ride. It is also really frustrating when doing intervals.

I have repositioned the pickup magnet several times. It hits the trigger spot right on and is about 5mm from the plate. (its been closer, farther, higher, lower)

The other issue is that it doesn't reliably "drop" in the same spot. I can go over a section of a ride w/o a consistent experience.

SRM is still suggesting that it is a set up issue...

Thoughts??

packfill said:
I am curious about the experience of others. I splurged on one of these units this Spring and have slightly more than a handful of rides on it. Throughout all of this period I have been getting transmission drops in the power and cadence. Usually this means getting a "0" reading followed by "--" Naturally, this messes with the data by the end of the ride. It is also really frustrating when doing intervals.

I have repositioned the pickup magnet several times. It hits the trigger spot right on and is about 5mm from the plate. (its been closer, farther, higher, lower)

The other issue is that it doesn't reliably "drop" in the same spot. I can go over a section of a ride w/o a consistent experience.

SRM is still suggesting that it is a set up issue...

Thoughts??
SRM still needs to work on their wireless models. I got 2 of them when they first came out and within a month had sold them all and went back to wired. Same issues you are having, plus the battery life is short. Look at the pro teams...most of them still on wired models.

SRM is coming out with a PCVII soon. Maybe that will fix things.

loctite said:
SRM still needs to work on their wireless models. I got 2 of them when they first came out and within a month had sold them all and went back to wired. Same issues you are having, plus the battery life is short. Look at the pro teams...most of them still on wired models.

SRM is coming out with a PCVII soon. Maybe that will fix things.

What is the latest in regards to SRM's wireless PCVI? Have the issues been resolved, or are the units still plagued with signal dropouts etc...?

Will SRM in fact be introducing a PCVII soon?

I got the wireless SRM's and PCVI when they first came out, just about exactly a year ago. I've used them for training and racing since. They're set up exactly as per instructions in terms of sensor positioning etc. I've had absolutely no problems during that time except:-
-In the early days I'd get occasional "spikes" in the power logging which were irritating (albeit easily manually edited out) but more recent firmware updates have resolved this.
-I occasionally used to get problems waking it all up and setting offset until I worked out the simple routine of:- spin cranks backwards a dozen or so turns, switch PCVI on and wait until "power" shows zero, then do the offset.
-I get the occasional HR spike over and above what I know (think?) my HR goes up to.
Other than that, they've been completely excellent, and fitting / setting up was a dream - less fiddly than the Garmin Edge 305 I had previously.

Phil,

Thanks for the insight into your experience with the SRM wireless. I am encouraged by your report.

I have been contemplating making the switch from PT to SRM because I would like to be able to make use of my full quiver of wheels on race day without sacrificing power data. I was just about to take the plunge until I started reading about the problems people have been/were having with the SRM wireless. I recognize that those who are having problems are probably more apt to post than those who have been having a good experiences with the system.