SRM Wireless problems

MintID

Sep 22, 2006
Anybody out there with a SRM wireless?
I can't get a consistent zero offset.
Example: I zero offset my srm in the beginning at the ride at, lets say 720.
then I ride around for about 20 minutes and zero offset it to about 680 - which is a huge difference compared to my wired SRM. throughout the ride I can continue to zero offset at values fluctuating as much as 20 points. It even gives me different readings on the small chain ring compared to the big chainring.
When I wake up the powermeter, by turning the crank backwards a couple of times - it usually takes about 3-4 seconds for the powermeter to change from 0 to my zero offset value - this is way longer than my wired SRM.
Does this sound like a bad unit or is the wireless just worse than the wired?

MintID said:
then I ride around for about 20 minutes and zero offset it to about 680 - which is a huge difference compared to my wired SRM. throughout the ride I can continue to zero offset at values fluctuating as much as 20 points. It even gives me different readings on the small chain ring compared to the big chainring.
When I wake up the powermeter, by turning the crank backwards a couple of times - it usually takes about 3-4 seconds for the powermeter to change from 0 to my zero offset value - this is way longer than my wired SRM.
I set mine at the beginning of my ride and never look at it again, so I don't know how or if it would vary. If I stopped for coffee and the outside temperature had changed noticeably, I would reset it.

It does take a few seconds after wake-up to display the offset value.

I was told by SRM by Leslie that " A zero offset variance of 10 Hz will represent a 1watt or less difference – so this is nothing to worry about". So, why am I worried?

I'm worried because they can not answer the real questions which is " why does the wireless offset drifts regularly and the wired unit is usually spot on…"

Example:

Offset pre-ride – 603

Ride (5-min’s into the ride) – 643

Interval 1 (20 min’s in)- 622

Interval 2 (35 min’s in)- 642

Interval 3 (55 min’s in)- 631

End of Ride- 633

With the wired unit, it's always 604 when I set it in the am and ends up around 612 during workouts.... so you have to wonder why...

kennethp said:
I was told by SRM by Leslie that " A zero offset variance of 10 Hz will represent a 1watt or less difference – so this is nothing to worry about". So, why am I worried?

I'm worried because they can not answer the real questions which is " why does the wireless offset drifts regularly and the wired unit is usually spot on…"

Example:

Offset pre-ride – 603

Ride (5-min’s into the ride) – 643

Interval 1 (20 min’s in)- 622

Interval 2 (35 min’s in)- 642

Interval 3 (55 min’s in)- 631

End of Ride- 633

With the wired unit, it's always 604 when I set it in the am and ends up around 612 during workouts.... so you have to wonder why...
seems like we are having the exact same problem...

MintID said:
seems like we are having the exact same problem...
If it is, in fact, a problem... I am seriously considering going back to the wired unit because I trust it.

kennethp said:
If it is, in fact, a problem... I am seriously considering going back to the wired unit because I trust it.

If you go the SRM site and click on the blog, you'll see that they've congratulated Amber Neben... if you look at her TT picture, yo'll see that she is using a wired unit. Interesting...

MintID said:
I made an effort today to check mine.
It does the same thing.
My numbers are still in line with those from my PowerTaps.