UK and Europe · Public discussion

SRP alloy crank bolts?

Started by Pete Biggs · · Last activity · 3 posts · 714 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 October 2004
Last activity
2 October 2004
Original author
Pete Biggs
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
714
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. -- For square taper cranks --

    I picked up some of these cheap, now I'm wondering whether to use them (or
    to carry on using them, actually).

    I've done some Googling and read Jobst Brandt's theory about the crank
    squirming on the spindle under strong load and pressing against the bolt
    head in an irregular way, potentially causing the bolt to fatigue. BUT JB
    has never used aluminium crank bolts himself. Now I wouldn't mind some
    good old British info/advice ...about this American product :-o

    Has anyone reading this had any SRP alloy crank bolts fail, after fitting
    them correctly*?

    * Fit cranks using steel bolts, then fit the alloy bolts afterwards, not
    over-torquing.

    No comments about the weight saving being so small and pointless please.
    I already know that! :-D What you might not know is how nice the dust
    covers look and how mad I am... well, you might've figured out the second
    half of that by now :-)

    Thanks
    ~PB

  2. Pete Biggs said:

    -- For square taper cranks --

    I picked up some of these cheap, now I'm wondering whether to use
    them (or to carry on using them, actually).

    I've done some Googling and read Jobst Brandt's theory about the crank
    squirming on the spindle under strong load and pressing against the
    bolt head in an irregular way, potentially causing the bolt to
    fatigue. BUT JB has never used aluminium crank bolts himself. Now I
    wouldn't mind some good old British info/advice ...about this
    American product :-o

    I await the results of your trial Pete.

  3. Pete Biggs said:

    -- For square taper cranks --

    I picked up some of these cheap, now I'm wondering whether to use them (or
    to carry on using them, actually).

    I've done some Googling and read Jobst Brandt's theory about the crank
    squirming on the spindle under strong load and pressing against the bolt
    head in an irregular way, potentially causing the bolt to fatigue. BUT JB
    has never used aluminium crank bolts himself. Now I wouldn't mind some
    good old British info/advice ...about this American product :-o

    Has anyone reading this had any SRP alloy crank bolts fail, after fitting
    them correctly*?

    * Fit cranks using steel bolts, then fit the alloy bolts afterwards, not
    over-torquing.

    No comments about the weight saving being so small and pointless please.
    I already know that! :-D What you might not know is how nice the dust
    covers look and how mad I am... well, you might've figured out the second
    half of that by now :-)

    I've used X-Lite alloy crankbolts for years with no problems. Never use
    them to *fit* the crank, just to hold it in place. Threadlock is
    recommended.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.