SruaAce 9spd - 10 spd conversion question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have Dura-Ace 9 speed on my bike now and would like to convert to D-A
    10 speed. What parts do I need to make the conversion? Do I really
    need a new crank or front der?
    thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. David B.

    David B. Guest

    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you only need a cassette,
    shifters, and chain, and _maybe_ new pulleys for the rear der?
    Definitely no need for new crank or front der.

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 28 Jan 2005 09:33:45 -0800, "Jeff" <[email protected]> may have
    said:

    >I have Dura-Ace 9 speed on my bike now and would like to convert to D-A
    >10 speed. What parts do I need to make the conversion? Do I really
    >need a new crank or front der?
    >thanks in advance

    The steel DA freehub used through 2003 will accept both the DA and
    Ultegra 10s cassettes. You will also need a shifter that will step to
    match. The only 9/10 incompatibility issue with DA is that in 2004,
    the DA freehub was redesigned and made out of aluminum, and they made
    the splines taller to get around the problem of the cassette chewing
    into the aluminum. The DA10 cassette will fit on the steel 8/9 bodies
    just fine, but the older 7/8/9 cassettes (and presumably the Ultegra
    10, though I haven't checked) will not fit on the 2004 DA10 body.

  4. Art M

    Art M Guest

    news:[email protected]

    ----snip-----
    >The DA10 cassette will fit on the steel 8/9 bodies
    > just fine, but the older 7/8/9 cassettes (and presumably the Ultegra
    > 10, though I haven't checked) will not fit on the 2004 DA10 body.

    Can anyone confirm this about the Ultegra 10 cassette not fitting on DA 10
    freehub.
    I just ordered the cassette from my LBS but I didn't deal with a techie.

    --Art

  5. jeff-<< I have Dura-Ace 9 speed on my bike now and would like to convert to D-A
    10 speed. What parts do I need to make the conversion? Do I really
    need a new crank or front der? >><BR><BR>

    All you need is right lever, cogset and chain...nothing more regardless of what
    some twits say on a website.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  6. David-<< Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you only need a
    cassette,
    shifters, and chain, and _maybe_ new pulleys for the rear der? >><BR><BR>

    Where ohh where does this idea that pulleys are needed. There is one website
    that spews this, a MO place(BB) but NOT necessary to do anything with pulleys,
    They are just guides for the chain afterall.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  7. art-<< Can anyone confirm this about the Ultegra 10 cassette not fitting on DA
    10
    freehub.
    I just ordered the cassette from my LBS but I didn't deal with a techie
    >><BR><BR>

    Yes it does, the ultegra and DA 10s cogsets are identical except for all steel
    instead of steel/ti on DA. Altho shimano does some wierd stuff, I don't think
    they would make a ultegra cogset in 10s that wouldn't fit onto a DA 10s hub.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  8. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 29 Jan 2005 14:28:24 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) may have said:

    >art-<< Can anyone confirm this about the Ultegra 10 cassette not fitting on DA
    >10
    >freehub.
    >I just ordered the cassette from my LBS but I didn't deal with a techie
    >>><BR><BR>

    >Yes it does, the ultegra and DA 10s cogsets are identical except for all steel
    >instead of steel/ti on DA. Altho shimano does some wierd stuff, I don't think
    >they would make a ultegra cogset in 10s that wouldn't fit onto a DA 10s hub.

    Noted and filed; thank you. (Yes, Shimano does some truly wierd
    stuff, and sometimes it's also not so smart. Looks like they decided
    to just use the same die layout for both the DA and Ultegra stampings;
    a good decision IMO.) (But I'm not so sure that any down-market 10s
    cassettes will share the feature when they finally appear; time will
    tell, and I might be pleasantly syurprised.)