SS (and geared) problem: Front chainring guide?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bloocow, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    Reposting this since it didn't turn up for some reason.

    Hey all,

    A certain trail I occasionally visit has some pretty bumpy descents that tends to knock my chain off
    the front ring. On my SS I have a middle and an outer ring (no der. so I have to change chain to use
    bigger ring). On my geared, I have an 8 spd rear and 2 front chainrings (also no front der, cus my
    front shifter died some time ago and I've been lazy to get a new one to put back on).

    So I've looked around online and found this Ngear Jump Stop thing which seems pretty cool. It
    prevents the chain from dropping onto the BB side. This is good for my SS cus the outer ring on the
    SS is for road use. But on the geared, I sometimes use the outer ring off road so the chain might
    drop out onto the crankarm side. I was wondering if anyone has this weird problem like me and what
    other solutions there are besides fixing on a front der. Oh, btw my bikes are fully rigid, so this
    happens quite abit esp on my geared.

    I've a couple of questions about the obvious solution which is to get one of those DH chainguides.
    Are those things heavy? Do they mostly mount on the BB? And why do they cost so much!?

    bloocow - tired of dismounting to put the chain back on 5 times and more per ride.

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  3. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    > bloocow wrote:
    > > Reposting this since it didn't turn up for some reason.
    >
    > It turned up on my server. Exactly 21 hours before this post.

    Oh ok... I didn't see it on google (while at work) so I thought it got lost but I guess I was
    confused..

    bloocow.

  4. John Spann

    John Spann Guest

    bloocow wrote:
    > Reposting this since it didn't turn up for some reason.
    >
    > Hey all,
    >
    > A certain trail I occasionally visit has some pretty bumpy descents that tends to knock my chain
    > off the front ring. On my SS I have a middle and an outer ring (no der. so I have to change chain
    > to use bigger ring). On my geared, I have an 8 spd rear and 2 front chainrings (also no front der,
    > cus my front shifter died some time ago and I've been lazy to get a new one to put back on).
    >
    > So I've looked around online and found this Ngear Jump Stop thing which seems pretty cool. It
    > prevents the chain from dropping onto the BB side. This is good for my SS cus the outer ring on
    > the SS is for road use. But on the geared, I sometimes use the outer ring off road so the chain
    > might drop out onto the crankarm side. I was wondering if anyone has this weird problem like me
    > and what other solutions there are besides fixing on a front der. Oh, btw my bikes are fully
    > rigid, so this happens quite abit esp on my geared.
    >
    > I've a couple of questions about the obvious solution which is to get one of those DH chainguides.
    > Are those things heavy? Do they mostly mount on the BB? And why do they cost so much!?
    >
    > bloocow - tired of dismounting to put the chain back on 5 times and more per ride.

    I had something to say but I forgot what it was. It could have been helpful or maybe not.

    Juan Spanos

  5. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    "John Spann" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > bloocow wrote:
    > > Reposting this since it didn't turn up for some reason.
    > >
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > A certain trail I occasionally visit has some pretty bumpy descents that tends to knock my chain
    > > off the front ring. On my SS I have a middle and
    an
    > > outer ring (no der. so I have to change chain to use bigger ring). On my geared, I have an 8 spd
    > > rear and 2 front chainrings (also no front der,
    cus
    > > my front shifter died some time ago and I've been lazy to get a new one
    > > put back on).
    > >
    > > So I've looked around online and found this Ngear Jump Stop thing which seems pretty cool. It
    > > prevents the chain from dropping onto the BB side. This is good for my SS cus the outer ring on
    > > the SS is for road use. But
    on
    > > the geared, I sometimes use the outer ring off road so the chain might
    drop
    > > out onto the crankarm side. I was wondering if anyone has this weird
    problem
    > > like me and what other solutions there are besides fixing on a front
    der.
    > > Oh, btw my bikes are fully rigid, so this happens quite abit esp on my geared.
    > >
    > > I've a couple of questions about the obvious solution which is to get
    one of
    > > those DH chainguides. Are those things heavy? Do they mostly mount on
    the
    > > BB? And why do they cost so much!?
    > >
    > > bloocow - tired of dismounting to put the chain back on 5 times and more
    per
    > > ride.
    > >

    > I had something to say but I forgot what it was. It could have been helpful or maybe not.
    >
    > Juan Spanos

    Well if you recall it, chances are this thread will still be around. ;-p

    bloocow.