SS People, Your Conjecture please......

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Andy Chequer, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    Quick techie brain tappings alert....

    I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use with a single/hub gear/fixie
    type affair. Couple of inane q's....

    I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?

    Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip flop for the full optional
    fixie thang?

    Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?

    Andy Chequer should know better than researching after the grindy-weldy bit.

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:
    > Quick techie brain tappings alert....
    >
    > I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use with a single/hub
    > gear/fixie type affair. Couple of inane q's....
    >
    > I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?

    Yep. Just don't buy a bmx hub, or you'll have to add a lot of washers.

    > Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip flop for the full optional
    > fixie thang?

    Hmm, don't know about flip-flop for mtb. On-One's Full Monty hubs are basically a rip-off of George
    French's design (in fact, they're even made in the same place in Sheffield). I can not praise the
    bmx versions highly enough - possibly the best bit of bike kit I've bought.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/full_monty.shtml

    > Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?

    Aye. You can get cassette hubs too, doncha know?

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > Andy Chequer wrote:
    > > Quick techie brain tappings alert....
    > >
    > > I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use
    with
    > > a single/hub gear/fixie type affair. Couple of inane q's....
    > >
    > > I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?
    >
    > Yep. Just don't buy a bmx hub, or you'll have to add a lot of washers.
    >
    > > Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip
    flop
    > > for the full optional fixie thang?
    >
    > Hmm, don't know about flip-flop for mtb. On-One's Full Monty hubs are basically a rip-off of
    > George French's design (in fact, they're even made in the same place in Sheffield). I can not
    > praise the bmx versions highly enough - possibly the best bit of bike kit I've bought.
    > http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/full_monty.shtml

    Fecking lovely bit of kit by the look of it. But I had thirty quid in mind...maybe just using a
    stock Deore hub and converting it to a nutted axle might be the best bet. The bike will mostly be
    used as a hacking around, not-too-gutted-if-it-gets-nicked machine. Then again, maybe new back wheel
    for the Binkster and use the old one for the SS. Dunno. Being fickle here.

    > > Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?
    >
    > Aye. You can get cassette hubs too, doncha know?

    I'd figured that. The first SS I built (around the very same arSecan) used a Shimano DX sprocket, a
    quid from my LBS Bargain Bin.

    Andy Chequer, tight fisted git.

  4. On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:55:18 +0000, Andy Chequer did issue forth:

    > Fecking lovely bit of kit by the look of it. But I had thirty quid in mind...maybe just using a
    > stock Deore hub and converting it to a nutted axle might be the best bet. The bike will mostly be
    > used as a hacking around, not-too-gutted-if-it-gets-nicked machine. Then again, maybe new back
    > wheel for the Binkster and use the old one for the SS. Dunno. Being fickle here.

    You're after flip-flop? I think Wheelies may have some sort of DMR thingie, it's marked as somewhere
    in the £35-£40 range. Do you want me to see how much they'll let it go for?

  5. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:

    >>Hmm, don't know about flip-flop for mtb. On-One's Full Monty hubs are basically a rip-off of
    >>George French's design (in fact, they're even made in the same place in Sheffield). I can not
    >>praise the bmx versions highly enough - possibly the best bit of bike kit I've bought.
    >>http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/full_monty.shtml
    >

    > Fecking lovely bit of kit by the look of it.

    Oh they are. For a full low-down of the internals, etc:
    http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk/products/hubs/hubs_home.html

    But I had thirty quid in
    > mind...maybe just using a stock Deore hub and converting it to a nutted axle might be the best
    > bet. The bike will mostly be used as a hacking around, not-too-gutted-if-it-gets-nicked machine.
    > Then again, maybe new back wheel for the Binkster and use the old one for the SS. Dunno. Being
    > fickle here.

    I'm not a full SS convert, so my knowledge is a little weak. However, true SS hubs tend to be a bit
    of a specialty, so cheaper versions may be a little thin on the ground. Might be best just to
    convert an old hub with spacers. Forge-MTB do a conversion kit for 9 quid:
    http://www.forge-mtb.com/single.asp?cat=FORGEMTB&catalog=FORGEMTBS

  6. On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:42:39 +0100, bomba did issue forth:

    > I'm not a full SS convert

    Eh? Your BMX has a Sturmey Archer or something, does it?

    ;-)

    By the way, I *did* get the job.

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:01:32 -0000, "Andy Chequer"
    <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote:

    >Quick techie brain tappings alert....
    >
    >I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use with a single/hub gear/fixie
    >type affair. Couple of inane q's....
    >
    >I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?

    Yep

    >Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip flop for the full optional
    >fixie thang?

    Spot, Phil Wood, Word...

    http://www.bikeman.com/catalog/hubsss.htm

    >Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?

    Yep

    Get that SS on the trails.

    :-]

  8. "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote

    > I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?

    Not always. BMX hubs are much narrower, as are track hubs.

    > Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip flop for the full optional
    > fixie thang?

    Phil Wood makes a 130mm fixed/free flip-flop. I use it on my Surly, but that's got slightly narrower
    than MTB dropout spacing. I'm not sure it would work on 135mm dropouts.

    http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page8.htm

    You can also get a free/free flip-flop from Surly in a 135mm width:

    http://www/surlybikes.com

    > Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?

    All of these are threaded for BMX freewheels. I use ACS Claws.

    CC

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Quick techie brain tappings alert....
    >
    > I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use with a single/hub
    > gear/fixie type affair. Couple of inane q's....
    >
    > I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?

    Unless it's one a them Redline jobbies.

    > Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip flop for the full optional
    > fixie thang?

    Surly has a flip flop. The PAUL WORD hubs have served me well for 3 years now.

    > Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?

    Unless it's a Chris King. Try the ACS Claws, shitmano freewheels blow dead monkeys.

    > Andy Chequer should know better than researching after the grindy-weldy bit.

    Doofus.

    JD

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  11. "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:55:18 +0000, Andy Chequer did issue forth:
    >
    > > Fecking lovely bit of kit by the look of it. But I had thirty quid in mind...maybe just using a
    > > stock Deore hub and converting it to a nutted axle might be the best bet. The bike will mostly
    > > be used as a hacking around, not-too-gutted-if-it-gets-nicked machine. Then again, maybe new
    > > back wheel for the Binkster and use the old one for the SS. Dunno. Being fickle here.
    >
    > You're after flip-flop? I think Wheelies may have some sort of DMR thingie, it's marked as
    > somewhere in the £35-£40 range. Do you want me to see how much they'll let it go for?

    I've got one of those on my DMR "Adult BMX*" FWIW it has held up pretty well. Mine isn't a flip-flop
    though. Came with some bolts that go in place of a Q.R. so you can crank them down really tight...
    Might be useful if you're using it as a city type bike and don't like people nabbing your wheel.

    Steve E.

    * The irony here is that I haven't ridden my DMR seriously for about 3 years, progression in
    this area usually moves from an MTB to a BMX - in other words a BMX could be described as an
    "Adult MTB" ;-)