SS People, Your Conjecture please......

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Andy Chequer, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer Guest

Quick techie brain tappings alert....

I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use with a single/hub gear/fixie
    type affair. Couple of inane q's....

I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip flop for the full optional
    fixie thang?

Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?

Andy Chequer should know better than researching after the grindy-weldy bit.

Tags:

2. Bomba

Bomba Guest

Andy Chequer wrote:
    > Quick techie brain tappings alert....
    >
    > I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use with a single/hub
    > gear/fixie type affair. Couple of inane q's....
    >
    > I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?

Yep. Just don't buy a bmx hub, or you'll have to add a lot of washers.

> Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip flop for the full optional
    > fixie thang?

Hmm, don't know about flip-flop for mtb. On-One's Full Monty hubs are basically a rip-off of George
    French's design (in fact, they're even made in the same place in Sheffield). I can not praise the
    bmx versions highly enough - possibly the best bit of bike kit I've bought.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/full_monty.shtml

> Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?

Aye. You can get cassette hubs too, doncha know?

3. Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer Guest

"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Andy Chequer wrote:
    > > Quick techie brain tappings alert....
    > >
    > > I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use
    with
    > > a single/hub gear/fixie type affair. Couple of inane q's....
    > >
    > > I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?
    >
    > Yep. Just don't buy a bmx hub, or you'll have to add a lot of washers.
    >
    > > Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip
    flop
    > > for the full optional fixie thang?
    >
    > Hmm, don't know about flip-flop for mtb. On-One's Full Monty hubs are basically a rip-off of
    > George French's design (in fact, they're even made in the same place in Sheffield). I can not
    > praise the bmx versions highly enough - possibly the best bit of bike kit I've bought.
    > http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/full_monty.shtml

Fecking lovely bit of kit by the look of it. But I had thirty quid in mind...maybe just using a
    stock Deore hub and converting it to a nutted axle might be the best bet. The bike will mostly be
    used as a hacking around, not-too-gutted-if-it-gets-nicked machine. Then again, maybe new back wheel
    for the Binkster and use the old one for the SS. Dunno. Being fickle here.

> > Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?
    >
    > Aye. You can get cassette hubs too, doncha know?

I'd figured that. The first SS I built (around the very same arSecan) used a Shimano DX sprocket, a
    quid from my LBS Bargain Bin.

Andy Chequer, tight fisted git.

4. On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:55:18 +0000, Andy Chequer did issue forth:

> Fecking lovely bit of kit by the look of it. But I had thirty quid in mind...maybe just using a
    > stock Deore hub and converting it to a nutted axle might be the best bet. The bike will mostly be
    > used as a hacking around, not-too-gutted-if-it-gets-nicked machine. Then again, maybe new back
    > wheel for the Binkster and use the old one for the SS. Dunno. Being fickle here.

You're after flip-flop? I think Wheelies may have some sort of DMR thingie, it's marked as somewhere
    in the £35-£40 range. Do you want me to see how much they'll let it go for?

--
    Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

5. Bomba

Bomba Guest

Andy Chequer wrote:

>>Hmm, don't know about flip-flop for mtb. On-One's Full Monty hubs are basically a rip-off of
    >>George French's design (in fact, they're even made in the same place in Sheffield). I can not
    >>praise the bmx versions highly enough - possibly the best bit of bike kit I've bought.
    >>http://www.on-one.co.uk/products/full_monty.shtml
    >
    >
    > Fecking lovely bit of kit by the look of it.

Oh they are. For a full low-down of the internals, etc:
    http://www.gsportbmx.co.uk/products/hubs/hubs_home.html

But I had thirty quid in
    > mind...maybe just using a stock Deore hub and converting it to a nutted axle might be the best
    > bet. The bike will mostly be used as a hacking around, not-too-gutted-if-it-gets-nicked machine.
    > Then again, maybe new back wheel for the Binkster and use the old one for the SS. Dunno. Being
    > fickle here.

I'm not a full SS convert, so my knowledge is a little weak. However, true SS hubs tend to be a bit
    of a specialty, so cheaper versions may be a little thin on the ground. Might be best just to
    convert an old hub with spacers. Forge-MTB do a conversion kit for 9 quid:
    http://www.forge-mtb.com/single.asp?cat=FORGEMTB&catalog=FORGEMTBS

6. On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:42:39 +0100, bomba did issue forth:

> I'm not a full SS convert

Eh? Your BMX has a Sturmey Archer or something, does it?

;-)

By the way, I *did* get the job.

--
    Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

7. Bill Wheeler

Bill Wheeler Guest

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:01:32 -0000, "Andy Chequer"
    <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote:

>Quick techie brain tappings alert....
    >
    >I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use with a single/hub gear/fixie
    >type affair. Couple of inane q's....
    >
    >I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?

Yep

>
    >Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip flop for the full optional
    >fixie thang?

Spot, Phil Wood, Word...

http://www.bikeman.com/catalog/hubsss.htm

>
    >Are the freewheels a separate entity a la BMX?

Yep

Get that SS on the trails.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

8. "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote
    >
    > I figured that the SS hub would have the same 135mm spacing as MTB's in general. Is that right?

Not always. BMX hubs are much narrower, as are track hubs.

> Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced rear SS hub, ideally a flip flop for the full optional
    > fixie thang?

Phil Wood makes a 130mm fixed/free flip-flop. I use it on my Surly, but that's got slightly narrower
    than MTB dropout spacing. I'm not sure it would work on 135mm dropouts.

http://www.philwood.com/webcatolog/page8.htm

You can also get a free/free flip-flop from Surly in a 135mm width:

http://www/surlybikes.com

All of these are threaded for BMX freewheels. I use ACS Claws.

CC

9. Jd

Jd Guest

"Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Quick techie brain tappings alert....
    >
    > I've got an elderly arSecan which I've converted to track ends for use with a single/hub
    > gear/fixie type affair. Couple of inane q's....
    >

Unless it's one a them Redline jobbies.

> fixie thang?

Surly has a flip flop. The PAUL WORD hubs have served me well for 3 years now.

Unless it's a Chris King. Try the ACS Claws, shitmano freewheels blow dead monkeys.

> Andy Chequer should know better than researching after the grindy-weldy bit.

Doofus.

JD

10. Bomba

Bomba Guest

11. "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:55:18 +0000, Andy Chequer did issue forth:
    >
    > > Fecking lovely bit of kit by the look of it. But I had thirty quid in mind...maybe just using a
    > > stock Deore hub and converting it to a nutted axle might be the best bet. The bike will mostly
    > > be used as a hacking around, not-too-gutted-if-it-gets-nicked machine. Then again, maybe new
    > > back wheel for the Binkster and use the old one for the SS. Dunno. Being fickle here.
    >
    > You're after flip-flop? I think Wheelies may have some sort of DMR thingie, it's marked as
    > somewhere in the £35-£40 range. Do you want me to see how much they'll let it go for?

I've got one of those on my DMR "Adult BMX*" FWIW it has held up pretty well. Mine isn't a flip-flop
    though. Came with some bolts that go in place of a Q.R. so you can crank them down really tight...
    Might be useful if you're using it as a city type bike and don't like people nabbing your wheel.

Steve E.

* The irony here is that I haven't ridden my DMR seriously for about 3 years, progression in
    this area usually moves from an MTB to a BMX - in other words a BMX could be described as an
    "Adult MTB" ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.