SS: under construction

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nate, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Nate

    Nate Guest

    I'm working as a builder at a LBS... Manager brings in a old chromoly trek 930 singletrack that has
    been abandoned and asks if anyone wants it or the parts. I claim frame and fork, strip paint,
    repaint with some eye catching chameleon paint (copper to green). I am getting sooo many compliments
    on the paint, I can't wait to get this thing built. Problem is, I am building with spare parts I
    have, and I cant seem to locate any SS chainrings for a 4 bolt pattern XT hollowtech crank. Everyone
    seems to only have 5 bolt patterns. Also, better tensioner: Singleator or PAUL's?

    Nate

    Tags:

  2. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On 27 Apr 2003 19:07:05 -0700, Nate <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm working as a builder at a LBS... Manager brings in a old chromoly trek 930 singletrack that
    > has been abandoned and asks if anyone wants it or the parts. I claim frame and fork, strip paint,
    > repaint with some eye catching chameleon paint (copper to green). I am getting sooo many
    > compliments on the paint, I can't wait to get this thing built. Problem is, I am building with
    > spare parts I have, and I cant seem to locate any SS chainrings for a 4 bolt pattern XT hollowtech
    > crank. Everyone seems to only have 5 bolt patterns. Also, better tensioner: Singleator or PAUL's?
    >
    > Nate

    Better tensioner: Pauls, by far. A better idea yet: White Industries' new eccentric-axle hub. The
    best idea (but it is a little late now that you have painted the frame): horizontal dropouts.

    Miles

  3. Nate

    Nate Guest

    miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 27 Apr 2003 19:07:05 -0700, Nate <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm working as a builder at a LBS... Manager brings in a old chromoly trek 930 singletrack that
    > > has been abandoned and asks if anyone wants it or the parts. I claim frame and fork, strip
    > > paint, repaint with some eye catching chameleon paint (copper to green). I am getting sooo many
    > > compliments on the paint, I can't wait to get this thing built. Problem is, I am building with
    > > spare parts I have, and I cant seem to locate any SS chainrings for a 4 bolt pattern XT
    > > hollowtech crank. Everyone seems to only have 5 bolt patterns. Also, better tensioner:
    > > Singleator or PAUL's?
    > >
    > > Nate
    > >

    > Better tensioner: Pauls, by far. A better idea yet: White Industries' new eccentric-axle hub. The
    > best idea (but it is a little late now that you have painted the frame): horizontal dropouts.
    >
    > Miles

    I have looked into the White Industries hub and explored many options, but my main objective is to
    do this with as little funds as possible while maintaining *some* quality. If it were my choice, I'd
    have bought a Mrazek Boh F-1 with a Kinesis rigid fork... But the frame I have was free, so I'm
    keeping it cheap! Thanks for the advice on the tensioner, It seems like people who know, use PAUL's.
    I don't know what the differences are though. Nate

  4. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On 28 Apr 2003 08:16:55 -0700, Nate <[email protected]> wrote:

    > miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 27 Apr 2003 19:07:05 -0700, Nate <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm working as a builder at a LBS... Manager brings in a old chromoly trek 930 singletrack that
    >> > has been abandoned and asks if anyone wants it or the parts. I claim frame and fork, strip
    >> > paint, repaint with some eye catching chameleon paint (copper to green). I am getting sooo many
    >> > compliments on the paint, I can't wait to get this thing built. Problem is, I am building with
    >> > spare parts I have, and I cant seem to locate any SS chainrings for a 4 bolt pattern XT
    >> > hollowtech crank. Everyone seems to only have 5 bolt patterns. Also, better tensioner:
    >> > Singleator or PAUL's?
    >> >
    >> > Nate
    >> >

    >> Better tensioner: Pauls, by far. A better idea yet: White Industries' new eccentric-axle hub. The
    >> best idea (but it is a little late now that you have painted the frame): horizontal dropouts.
    >>
    >> Miles
    >
    > I have looked into the White Industries hub and explored many options, but my main objective is to
    > do this with as little funds as possible while maintaining *some* quality. If it were my choice,
    > I'd have bought a Mrazek Boh F-1 with a Kinesis rigid fork... But the frame I have was free, so
    > I'm keeping it cheap! Thanks for the advice on the tensioner, It seems like people who know, use
    > PAUL's. I don't know what the differences are though. Nate

    Paul's tensioner is twice as much money, but it NEVER throws a chain. The Surly is half as much
    money, but throws a chain every once in a while.

    Miles

  5. Dvstek

    Dvstek Guest

    On 28 Apr 2003 08:16:55 -0700, [email protected] (Nate) wrote:

    >miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 27 Apr 2003 19:07:05 -0700, Nate <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm working as a builder at a LBS... Manager brings in a old chromoly trek 930 singletrack that
    >> > has been abandoned and asks if anyone wants it or the parts. I claim frame and fork, strip
    >> > paint, repaint with some eye catching chameleon paint (copper to green). I am getting sooo many
    >> > compliments on the paint, I can't wait to get this thing built. Problem is, I am building with
    >> > spare parts I have, and I cant seem to locate any SS chainrings for a 4 bolt pattern XT
    >> > hollowtech crank. Everyone seems to only have 5 bolt patterns. Also, better tensioner:
    >> > Singleator or PAUL's?
    >> >
    >> > Nate
    >> >

    >> Better tensioner: Pauls, by far. A better idea yet: White Industries' new eccentric-axle hub. The
    >> best idea (but it is a little late now that you have painted the frame): horizontal dropouts.
    >>
    >> Miles
    >
    >I have looked into the White Industries hub and explored many options, but my main objective is to
    >do this with as little funds as possible while maintaining *some* quality. If it were my choice,
    >I'd have bought a Mrazek Boh F-1 with a Kinesis rigid fork... But the frame I have was free, so I'm
    >keeping it cheap! Thanks for the advice on the tensioner, It seems like people who know, use
    >PAUL's. I don't know what the differences are though. Nate

    I got a Singleator, and have not been happy with it. I have used it in both the push up, and push
    down positions. The Up works the best but it still does not work as well as my first try with a SRAM
    rear deralier. I cut the bottom leg off and used the limit screw to give it the correct tension on
    the chain. It never cames off. The problem with the Singleator is you never know when it will let
    the chain go....not good.