SS Urban

John G

Guest
62° clear blue skies, the SingleSpeed is on top of the OVLOV, very unproductive monring, well you
know the story. Go outside and pull the bike down, find the helmet, can't find the rear fender, so I
get a bit wet. can only find one glove, feck-it! toss on my bright yellow vest and do some urban
assault riding around the "Mill District" of Manchester.

After several close calls with car backing out of thier diagonal parking spaces, I opt to take my
lane ride a foot to the right double yellow line. Surely pisssed off the cars behind me!

After that climbed up a few parking-garages slowly spiraling up and ripped back down. That polished
concrete sure gave me some practice with counter-steering thorugh power-slides ;-)

While I was riding some stairs I spotted the Segway riding dudes out for a spin and rode along with
them for a few minute till we got back to our building.

Kinda stuck in a quandry, to keep the knobbies or switch to slicks on the SS. the Serrac XC'sare
great for all around tires exceot quire "buzzy" and squirrely on pavement.

John G wrote:
> 62° clear blue skies, the SingleSpeed is on top of the OVLOV, very unproductive monring, well you
> know the story. Go outside and pull the bike down, find the helmet, can't find the rear fender, so
> I get a bit wet. can only find one glove, feck-it! toss on my bright yellow vest and do some urban
> assault riding around the "Mill District" of Manchester.
>
> After several close calls with car backing out of thier diagonal parking spaces, I opt to take my
> lane ride a foot to the right double yellow line. Surely pisssed off the cars behind me!

The book I just finished (The Immortal Class - the cult of bicyle messengers) spent quite a bit of
time on the philisophy of creating space by taking up lanes and been "seen". One theory of making
sure drivers see you is to pound on their cars...

Interesting read, while not one that you cannot put down, it certainly held my interest.

Penny

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:12:24 -0500, John G <[email protected]> wrote:

>62° clear blue skies, the SingleSpeed is on top of the OVLOV, very unproductive monring, well you
>know the story. Go outside and pull the bike down, find the helmet, can't find the rear fender, so
>I get a bit wet. can only find one glove, feck-it! toss on my bright yellow vest and do some urban
>assault riding around the "Mill District" of Manchester.
>
>After several close calls with car backing out of thier diagonal parking spaces, I opt to take my
>lane ride a foot to the right double yellow line. Surely pisssed off the cars behind me!
>
>After that climbed up a few parking-garages slowly spiraling up and ripped back down. That polished
>concrete sure gave me some practice with counter-steering thorugh power-slides ;-)
>
>While I was riding some stairs I spotted the Segway riding dudes out for a spin and rode along with
>them for a few minute till we got back to our building.
>
>Kinda stuck in a quandry, to keep the knobbies or switch to slicks on the SS. the Serrac XC'sare
>great for all around tires exceot quire "buzzy" and squirrely on pavement.

Sweet, Bill

:-]