@sshole Driver Statistics

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by LotteBum, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    We're all cyclists, so I believe it is safe to start this thread:

    Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst on the roads?

    I, personally, am always very careful around Commodores. Even the newer ones tend to - again, generally speaking - be driven by Bogans/Westies/Bevans (but with a tad more cash).

    It seems I am too often right when I tell my partner (who hasn't been riding on the roads nearly as long as I have) "Just watch out, it's a Commodore" and then we get cut off/almost killed by the said vehicle.

    I'm interested to see what everyone here thinks.

    Cheers,
    Lotte

    P.S. I drive a pink Corolla which tend to more often than not be driven by grannies - now there's dangerous for you.

    Tags:

  2. bjay

    bjay Guest

    > Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
    > on the roads?

    Toyota Hilux drivers seem to feature heavily in my worst driver list, both
    as a motorist and a cyclist, followed closely by Toyota Landcruiser drivers.
    The Hilux seems to be typically driven by young male drivers with a
    superiority complex, whereas the Lancruiser is driven by older male drivers
    with the same superiority complex. Maybe the same people start off with a
    Hilux then upgrade to the 'cruiser when they get older?

    Bjay

  3. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 at 07:07 GMT, LotteBum (aka Bruce)
    > P.S. I drive a pink Corolla which tend to more often than not be driven
    > by grannies - now there's dangerous for you.

    Oh, hell yeah, although my granny incident involved a white car of
    similar make.

    I was riding along, and a car slowed at an intersection, and pulled
    out, about 2m in front of me. It drove rather slowly down the road,
    and I overtook it, and yelled into the window. The little old granny
    jumped in her seat.

    Made me slightly guilty (didn't know it was a granny), but then I
    was pissed off that such a blind bat was still allowed to drive.

    Like most computer techie people, I'll happily spend 6 hours trying to figure
    out how to do a 3 hour job in 10 minutes. --Rev. James Cort, ASR

  4. LotteBum wrote:

    > Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
    > on the roads?

    I'm not racist. I hate _all_ car drivers equally.
    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "LotteBum" <[email protected]
    > Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
    > on the roads?

    ANYTHING with a 'P' plate attached
    4WD's, specifically women in large RangeRover and
    LandCruiser types
    Tradesman utes/vans early morning
    Taxis, not too bad in the 'burbs though

    Any vehicle can contain a wanker. Most common
    wankerbox would be the car with p's displayed.

    I've been hit by a commodore, a commodore ute,
    a shitbox Datsun or Corona, probably a couple more,
    side-swiped by a Kingswood, I've run into an XF
    Falcon, a Honda 4WD and Torana or Falcon. I've had
    near misses with every frickin' model you care to name..

    hazardous hippy

  6. SteppenW

    SteppenW Guest

    Dark green Hyundai Excel; BAD GIRL sticker; blond; can multi-task texting,
    smoking and makeup preparation in rear-view mirror. Avoid.

  7. DJ

    DJ Guest

    There was a survey done once about 2 or 3 years back by the NRMA regarding
    who were supposed to be the safest allround drivers on the road in
    Sydney......I was tottally flabbergasted when the results came back as
    Tradesmen are generally the safest and I thought WTF???? who are they
    kidding? I reckon they'd have to be among the worst I've struck whilst on
    my bike.

    From the bloke doing the local lawn cutting job in a hurry to get as many
    done before the sun goes down to the young builder's apprentice who has just
    gotten his P Plates back somehow able to get his arse behind the wheel of a
    black SS Holden Ute, to the Luigi's in their early 80's hilux van with paint
    dripping from the back door yackin away to his offsider........the list goes
    on....they are among the worst with one exception............the BLOODY
    VOLVO driver!!

    DJ

  8. LotteBum wrote:

    > Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
    > on the roads?

    Red ones, black ones, green ones, blue ones, white ones.
    Hmm just about all, except multicoloured rainbow ones (but check the
    eyes).
    Actually, anything under 18 wheels is generally a menace {:).

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Commodores. but then again they wil lwont they?
    there are more of them.
    young tradeys are the worst IMHO. trying to prove they are NOT worthy of the initiation ceremony anymore, and given twats as rolemodels...

    seen driving near home today.
    Commodore with stickers on windscreen upper above driver "Brad".
    Above passenger "Brad's Bitch".
    no, I am not kidding...

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Add, anything with a 'P' _or an 'L', usually not as numerous as 'P' s but tends to be nervous & unpredictable. Any small plastic bubble car, blue, silver or red with young female driver. Include any fully sick late model Holden/Ford with too many young blokes, bonus points for all windows down, arms dangling. Someone should inform them of limbs out window = demerit points. Maybe they're too stupid to realise they're putting their 'mates' license in jeopardy.

    Any vehicle can contain a 'wanker', is there more suitable terminology for female drivers? I find some of them freaking bizarre - you could possibly jump to the conclusion that a fellow woman maybe more accepting of a another on a bicycle. Nope. Maybe it's a ego/insecurity/power control thang. A personal observation, I think some women have a tendency to be more brittle, too many pressures, too much media influenced shit, less accepting. But you could say that about society in general, not just car culture.

    Unfortunately a good cross section I'd agree with. Just returned from a lovely stay up in Bright (Alpine Classic), to this horrible hit-run news. :(

  11. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]
    > seen driving near home today.
    > Commodore with stickers on windscreen upper above driver "Brad".
    > Above passenger "Brad's Bitch".
    > no, I am not kidding...

    That's gotta be a pisser of a photo op. if his mate
    Johno is sitting in the front seat with him..

    hippy
    "Say cheese, loser!"

  12. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    "LotteBum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > We're all cyclists, so I believe it is safe to start this thread:
    >
    > Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
    > on the roads?
    >
    > I, personally, am always very careful around Commodores. Even the
    > newer ones tend to - again, generally speaking - be driven by
    > Bogans/Westies/Bevans (but with a tad more cash).
    >
    > It seems I am too often right when I tell my partner (who hasn't been
    > riding on the roads nearly as long as I have) "Just watch out, it's a
    > Commodore" and then we get cut off/almost killed by the said vehicle.
    >
    > I'm interested to see what everyone here thinks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Lotte
    >
    > P.S. I drive a pink Corolla which tend to more often than not be driven
    > by grannies - now there's dangerous for you.
    >

    > --
    > LotteBum

    Sadly it's nothing to do with the make/model of the car it's purely the
    driver of the car that makes it dangerous to other road users. Ban a
    particular model just because it's killed a few innocents and the
    dangerous/incompetent drivers will just find another weapon - i mean model
    of personal motor transport.

    Geoff
    - Cyclist as well as Holden Commodore and Daewoo Lanos Owner (formerly a
    Ford Falcon, Toyota Corona and Corolla Owner)

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    without doubt the idiot-factor amongst drivers is mutiplied 10-fold if there are multiple young males in the car.

    Out at Panton Hill a passenger yelled something wierd at me and gesticulated and then passed blah and yelled something wierd and seemed to slow down then sped off just as a bunch of about a dozen guys came by.
    Numbers do work in our favours sometimes :rolleyes:

  14. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > "LotteBum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>We're all cyclists, so I believe it is safe to start this thread:
    >>
    >>Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
    >>on the roads?
    >>
    >>I, personally, am always very careful around Commodores. Even the
    >>newer ones tend to - again, generally speaking - be driven by
    >>Bogans/Westies/Bevans (but with a tad more cash).
    >>
    >>It seems I am too often right when I tell my partner (who hasn't been
    >>riding on the roads nearly as long as I have) "Just watch out, it's a
    >>Commodore" and then we get cut off/almost killed by the said vehicle.
    >>
    >>I'm interested to see what everyone here thinks.
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Lotte
    >>
    >>P.S. I drive a pink Corolla which tend to more often than not be driven
    >>by grannies - now there's dangerous for you.
    >>

    >>--
    >>LotteBum
    >>

    > Sadly it's nothing to do with the make/model of the car it's purely the
    > driver of the car that makes it dangerous to other road users. Ban a
    > particular model just because it's killed a few innocents and the
    > dangerous/incompetent drivers will just find another weapon - i mean model
    > of personal motor transport.
    >
    > Geoff
    > - Cyclist as well as Holden Commodore and Daewoo Lanos Owner (formerly a
    > Ford Falcon, Toyota Corona and Corolla Owner)

    Yeah yeah Geoff, _all_ Commodore owners say that ;)

    --
    Nick

  15. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    White vans.
    Taxis.
    Young girls driving with friends in the back seat (watch the driver crane their necks expounding their opinion on Beth Cartrights hair style or love life) &/or mob phone going.

  16. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Sadly it's nothing to do with the make/model of the car it's purely the
    >> driver of the car that makes it dangerous to other road users. Ban a
    >> particular model just because it's killed a few innocents and the
    >> dangerous/incompetent drivers will just find another weapon - i mean
    >> model of personal motor transport.
    >>
    >> Geoff
    >> - Cyclist as well as Holden Commodore and Daewoo Lanos Owner (formerly a
    >> Ford Falcon, Toyota Corona and Corolla Owner)
    >>

    > Yeah yeah Geoff, _all_ Commodore owners say that ;)
    >
    > --
    > Nick

    I was a Falcon owner up until last week...honest.
    I don't know why but it was easier to convince the wife that we needed a new
    car than it has been to convince her that I need a BT Track Bike Frame.

    Maybe the Carbon Fibre Road Disk wheel i've just bought for her might soften
    her up a bit. We'll see.

    Geoff

  17. Would have to be any tricked-up Japanese motor car that is being driven
    by a young bloke with way too much grease in the hair and bling on the
    body!!!

    Although, the first time I was 'whacked' was by a guy in a black BMW
    (Him: I'm so sorry mate, I'm a cyclist too... Me (through two smashed
    bloody front teeth): You're [email protected]#%ing kidding!!)

    And the 2nd time was an 86-year-old assassin in a... White Commodore.
    So definitely no stereotype for me!!

    Cheers,
    Absent Husband

  18. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "LotteBum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > We're all cyclists, so I believe it is safe to start this thread:
    >
    > Generally speaking, which types of cars do you all find to be the worst
    > on the roads?
    >
    > I, personally, am always very careful around Commodores. Even the
    > newer ones tend to - again, generally speaking - be driven by
    > Bogans/Westies/Bevans (but with a tad more cash).

    Although I can identify most car types whose drivers hassle me, I must admit
    the Commodore - especially the older one - figures prominently. Commodore
    with P plates. If there's one person inside it - not too bad. Two people -
    watch out. Three or more "people" - warning! alert! alarm! This is where I
    expect to be deliberately forced off the road and yelled at. It also depends
    on what pubs there are nearby.

    Henry.

    > It seems I am too often right when I tell my partner (who hasn't been
    > riding on the roads nearly as long as I have) "Just watch out, it's a
    > Commodore" and then we get cut off/almost killed by the said vehicle.
    >
    > I'm interested to see what everyone here thinks.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Lotte
    >
    > P.S. I drive a pink Corolla which tend to more often than not be driven
    > by grannies - now there's dangerous for you.
    >

    > --
    > LotteBum

  19. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Geoff" <[email protected]
    > I was a Falcon owner up until last week...honest.
    > I don't know why but it was easier to convince the wife that we needed a
    > new car than it has been to convince her that I need a BT Track Bike
    > Frame.
    >
    > Maybe the Carbon Fibre Road Disk wheel i've just bought for her might
    > soften her up a bit. We'll see.

    Your missus rides and she doesn't want a BT in the house?!?! ;o)

    hippy

  20. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    > "Geoff" <[email protected]
    >> I was a Falcon owner up until last week...honest.
    >> I don't know why but it was easier to convince the wife that we needed a
    >> new car than it has been to convince her that I need a BT Track Bike
    >> Frame.
    >>
    >> Maybe the Carbon Fibre Road Disk wheel i've just bought for her might
    >> soften her up a bit. We'll see.

    > Your missus rides and she doesn't want a BT in the house?!?! ;o)
    >
    > hippy

    It's not that she does not want it in the house (Kitchen walkway where
    parking space is getting a little tight) it's more of the $5000 for a frame
    that you only use for half the year mentality I have to crack.

    Geoff